Love a League V Union Debate

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

PEPSI

Bencher
so this Giteau bloke is getting 1.5 Million,

so where would he rank with the likes of
Gaznier/Cooper/Hodges etc

i guess he would not play centres in league but more likely 5/8

just watch as these super12 clubs implode with higher salaries! :clap: :clap:

they cant chase too many otherwise they will simply be admitting they dont have quality players in there own ranks. which they dont , but they wont admit it, what if you where a young centre at the moment in rugby , apart from never seeing the ball, you now have to deal with competeing with league players as well for a super14 jersey!

It's a **** game anyway.... they are ruining good up and comers by doin this... they can take some but if they continue to do it much longer they are gonna run out of troops eventually

As big MG said in this weeks RLW.. Would you rather win a premiership with ya mates and the blokes that you've bonded with over years or go over to union and beat romania 74 - 0

in all honestly. for 1.5 million I would rather beat romania 74-0

but they wont be able to sustain those prices

you must remember most of his salary is from corporate backers that want to see the force succeed. its not going to be happening to every player.

besides whats the point of having a league v union debate on a league site? we all know what the outcome will be.

Heresy on this site, I know, and an exception to the rule, but I happen to enjoy watching both games. And especially love watching the Leagueies dominate when they cross over.

The players that can transfer easily are normally the backs. Even Joel Wilson who struggled to make first grade in a no-name budget team makes it in the Brumbies.

Much harder to convert in the forwards. But I reckon Webke & Webb would have been sure-fire successes in Union. They'd fix the Aust scrum after a year or so to learn the game.

So I'd love to see Union get some quality backs in the Aust franchises cause I hate seeing the New Zilinders & Seth Efricens beating our boys. I reckon let Gasnier go, and make sure they pay top dollar for him. They'll run short of cash soon enough. Plenty of quality backs in League.

Why not have the Aussies dominate League AND Union?

what abouit that tessa labia bloke who played for the beagles!

aucklands 5/8

Dan im with you, bring on romania lol

As Garts said most of the funding in this situation comes from corp backers. If you are waiting for Super 14 teams to collapse financially Pepsi you will be waiting a long time.

probabaly more so meaning you would be waiting for these corp backers to realise that the super 14 taems and players are simply not worth that kind of backing, they dont get the crowds consistantly, they dont get Tv ratings and so on.

so why would you spend 30000o K propping up mark gazniers contract when for 300K you can become a major sponsor of a leading league team!

australian Rugby simply does not warrant an athlete to be on 1.5 million like Giteau, he is small fry in world athlete terms.

he now gets paid as much as shayne warne, and hes arguably the best know cricketer in the world and arguably the best ever,

Matt who ?????

what abouit that tessa labia bloke who played for the beagles!

aucklands 5/8

Dan im with you, bring on romania lol

Lavea was a Kiwi who grew up playing Rugby.

There have been others that have gone across not to do anything, Lenny Beckett was a regular NRL 1st grader but he can not crack the Brumbies.

i think your giving L Beckett a huge wrapm his brother was a good first grade winger, Lenny was average and played weith very much bottom wrubg teams like the N Eagles from memory

and he has played for the brumbies which is a provincial team not a club side, so in my book compares to playing state of origin.

He also played with Newcastle and he only got a run with the Brumbies when they were devasted with injuries.

Another former NE player in Ben MacDougall who walked into the Scotland side as they are crap!!!!

Only trouble is Gasnier needs to play two and a half seasons for that $1.5 million that Giteau gets in one.

Relative worth?

in all honestly. for 1.5 million I would rather beat romania 74-0

but they wont be able to sustain those prices

Giteau is an absolute champ and he would kill it in League. He's very strong for his size and super fast and nimble. He would carve it up anywhere from halfback to centre, or even fullback.

probabaly more so meaning you would be waiting for these corp backers to realise that the super 14 taems and players are simply not worth that kind of backing, they dont get the crowds consistantly, they dont get Tv ratings and so on.

so why would you spend 30000o K propping up mark gazniers contract when for 300K you can become a major sponsor of a leading league team!

australian Rugby simply does not warrant an athlete to be on 1.5 million like Giteau, he is small fry in world athlete terms.

he now gets paid as much as shayne warne, and hes arguably the best know cricketer in the world and arguably the best ever,

Matt who ?????

The cumulative Super 12 crowds hit an all-time high last year, with more than 440,000 people attending matches in Australia.
·With 10 extra Super 14 matches in Australia this year, the figure will exceed the 600,000 mark, and potentially push the 700,000 mark.

TV Ratings
·Last year, TV ratings for Super 12 Rugby increased by 25%.
·The Super 12 Final between the Crusaders and the Waratahs averaged 288,000, a record for a Rugby match on subscription television.
·Across the first three rounds this year, the Super 14 has reached 1.3 million viewers on Fox Sports.

Test matches
·Our cumulative Test crowds were the second highest on record last year - only the 2001 Lions season generated a bigger cumulative crowd.
·We have the biggest Test season ever coming up this year - two Tests against England, one against Ireland, followed by the expanded Tri Nations.

Sponsorship
·The ARU's annual sponsorship income now exceeds $20 million.

The fact is corporate backers would rather throw money and Gits than sponsor a league team. They would not want to be associated with league through sponsorship.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2