Locke - Train and Trial

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
01. Tom Trbojevic
02. Jorge Taufua
03. Kevin Locke
04. Dylan Walker
05. Akuila Uate
06. Blake Green
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Darcy Lussick
09. Matt Parcell
10. Addin Fanua-Blake
11. Marty Taupau
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Lewis Brown
15. Brenton Lawrence
16. Nate Myles
17. Shaun Lane

18. Apisai Koroisou
19. Willis Meehan
20. Matthew Wright
21. Brayden Wiliame
22. Cameron Cullen
23. Peta Godinet
24. Jonathan Wright
25. Frank Winterstein
I reckon we will make at least one more significant signing before next season. Obviously dependent upon Snake and Matai. But loving the look of that forward pack.

No way Kevin Locke will play centre...he is not the right build for the modern day centre who tackles backrowers all the time...he will get munched.

He is a fullback or winger and a pretty handy one.

Tom T
Taufua
Walker
???
Uate
Green
DCE

Lussick
Koroisau
Myles
Sironen
Taupau
Jake T

AFB
Lane
???
Brown

Definitely needed Matagi because Lawrence is garbage and so is the bulk of the rest of the squad. Still short a genuine centre. Parcell is overrated and I hope Api gets the 9 ahead of him. I think we miss the 8 again to be honest. There is just too much bargain basement crap hanging around the place and the only way that sort of rubbish comes good is with an exceptional coach like Bellamy or Bennett.

Lawrence is not garbage. If he has recovered from injury then he can be a wonderful player. Likewise Parcell, who should improve greatly this season and be our No. 1 hooker.
I do agree that we will not make the eight in 2017. We are losing three of our greatest ever players, Lyon, Matai and (probably) Snake so I can't see how we can possibly improve.

Lawrence is not garbage. If he has recovered from injury then he can be a wonderful player. Likewise Parcell, who should improve greatly this season and be our No. 1 hooker.
I do agree that we will not make the eight in 2017. We are losing three of our greatest ever players, Lyon, Matai and (probably) Snake so I can't see how we can possibly improve.
I don't think Lawrence is the modern day prop...the best props are big, mobile and agile. Lawrence is too old, small, injury prone and one dimensional to mix it with the best. 2013 seems like an age ago when he simply had to play amongst a killer pack of forwards...2014 he was solid at best and then nothing much to talk about from that point on other than serious injuries from a guy who was already a late bloomer 5 seasons ago. Don't get me started on Nate Myles haha!

Lawrence has spent most of his career playing in the centres in lower grades. He is is very quick when he winds up.

I don't think Lawrence is the modern day prop...the best props are big, mobile and agile. Lawrence is too old, small, injury prone and one dimensional to mix it with the best. 2013 seems like an age ago when he simply had to play amongst a killer pack of forwards...2014 he was solid at best and then nothing much to talk about from that point on other than serious injuries from a guy who was already a late bloomer 5 seasons ago. Don't get me started on Nate Myles haha!
I thought Lawrence was playing some of his best football last year before getting injured.
Main thing I noticed were his offloads and second phase play which was refreshing to see.

I thought Lawrence was playing some of his best football last year before getting injured.
Main thing I noticed were his offloads and second phase play which was refreshing to see.
absolutely, he had a couple of white hot games, hitting the line with great enthusiasm and really making an impact.
he's a smart player too, i can imagine he'd be a good sort of chap to have round the club with all the fiery youngsters

Lawrence has spent most of his career playing in the centres in lower grades. He is is very quick when he winds up.
Yes and that's what I found so frustrating about him. I heard he was one of our quickest when fit over 40 yards and occasionally you'd see that speed in games. But not often enough for my liking. I know he's everyone's favourite son here but seriously if he was on the open market he'd end up in the super league. That's reality. We desperately need one more genuine 1st grade prop and a centre. If Lockes firing he has to get a wing spot. He's super quick and if anyone should be ok under high balls it's him with fullback background. Id say competition for the other wing spot is between Tafua and Uate. We need pace in the backline with the other winger a metre eater. Last year we struggled big time to score points when we had Williame and Wright in the team. Speed kills folks!

Last edited:
Yes and that's what I found so frustrating about him. I heard he was one of our quickest when fit over 40 yards and occasionally you'd see that speed in games. But not often enough for my liking. I know he's everyone's favourite son here but seriously if he was on the open market he'd end up in the super league. That's reality. We desperately need one more genuine 1st grade prop and a centre. If Lockes firing he has to get a wing spot. He's super quick and if anyone should be ok under high balls it's him with fullback background. Id say competition for the other wing spot is between Tafua and Uate. We need pace in the backline with the other winger a metre eater.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Omar Slaimankhel snag a wing spot at some point during the season. Another with excellent potential and good speed who could find a home with us. He is 6ft and 90kg - so he isn't tiny (not huge either) and could be a good fit. He can easily play fullback if injuries occur during the game.

Whilst Locke is quick, he is very short for a winger these days (5"8), I just don't know if he is the answer. He would be better at fullbak in my view; however, I wouldn't be moving Tom for him. I'd say Locke is for depth in the 1 position, and Slaimankhel a better option on the wing. Having said that, unless Tafua is released to another club, I think we will start with Jorge and Uate.

Yes and that's what I found so frustrating about him. I heard he was one of our quickest when fit over 40 yards and occasionally you'd see that speed in games. But not often enough for my liking. I know he's everyone's favourite son here but seriously if he was on the open market he'd end up in the super league. That's reality. We desperately need one more genuine 1st grade prop and a centre. If Lockes firing he has to get a wing spot. He's super quick and if anyone should be ok under high balls it's him with fullback background. Id say competition for the other wing spot is between Tafua and Uate. We need pace in the backline with the other winger a metre eater. Last year we struggled big time to score points when we had Williame and Wright in the team. Speed kills folks!

I'm not saying
I'm not saying that Brenton Lawrence is my favourite son but I feel more confident in him doing the job for us then Nate Myles.
It's not like I don't want Myles to be a success but the bloke played last season like he was stuck in second gear and we just can't afford a $500,000 passenger.

I'm not saying

I'm not saying that Brenton Lawrence is my favourite son but I feel more confident in him doing the job for us then Nate Myles.
It's not like I don't want Myles to be a success but the bloke played last season like he was stuck in second gear and we just can't afford a $500,000 passenger.
I hear u Andrew and I was generalising re Lawrence..agree we have to get value out of Myles. Look imo defensively in 2016 he was pretty good..he does his work but zero impact with ball in hand and not enuff strong carries. I think the other thing about Myles was his apparent lack of spirit vigour and aggression. He was signed to be a leader and I think that's the most disappointing aspect for mine..he's not 24 again but he needed to inspire and motivate. He gave the impression he didn't care hence all our issues with him.

I hear u Andrew and I was generalising re Lawrence..agree we have to get value out of Myles. Look imo defensively in 2016 he was pretty good..he does his work but zero impact with ball in hand and not enuff strong carries. I think the other thing about Myles was his apparent lack of spirit vigour and aggression. He was signed to be a leader and I think that's the most disappointing aspect for mine..he's not 24 again but he needed to inspire and motivate. He gave the impression he didn't care hence all our issues with him.

You've pretty much nailed how I feel about Myles last season TimmyQ. I remember reading that his Grandfather even thought his game was below par.
Not sure how they're going to motivate him next season but his efforts could go a long way towards deciding if we get into the 8 imo.

Anyone know how Locke has been training and whether he might get a contract? I read a comment on FB that he could have been cut. Hope this is not true.

Anyone know how Locke has been training and whether he might get a contract? I read a comment on FB that he could have been cut. Hope this is not true.
I wouldn't get too worried either way @Rodo

If he's training hard and showing something they'll keep him around but he is flakey so it's entirely possible that he hasn't worked out either.

I would find it odd that we wouldn't sign him. The most we have to pay is 90K (according to Fox sports), so surely we can fit him in, esp if we get skivvy's retirement.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8