LIVE NOW! STORM RORTS REVEALED ***URL CHANGED***

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Sounds like Gallop is trying to set up the Storm so they can keep all their players and win next year.  Total dog.  They should be stripped of points next year, and every year until they get under the cap lawfully. 

DSM5 link said:
Sounds like Gallop is trying to set up the Storm so they can keep all their players and win next year.  Total dog.  They should be stripped of points next year, and every year until they get under the cap lawfully. 

There's an article in the Tele and his been on Foxsport's news saying that big pay cut's will be out of the question. But I'll believe that when I see it

CussCuss link said:
Sigh.

Ok heres the way it works.

Yes the players would have known they were recieving extra payments, but this is not unusual or illegal. If you have a look at the history of salary cap breaches 90% of them are for 3rd party payments declared but reclassified to be included under the salary cap.
This means that there are plenty of 3rd party payments out there that are not part of the salary cap and perfectly legal.

It is not the players job to determine if their pay is outside of the salary cap or not, its the managers and accountants, thats what they are there for, they know the ins and outs of what is exempt and what isnt. If a player is told that payment x is outside of the salary cap, then thats is good enough, they are not lawyers nor are they required to be.

Think of it this way, your accountant says he can knock an extra 10k off your taxable income, using x, y, and z. He says its legal and fine so you go with it. You are not required to learn the ins and outs of tax law, thats what the accountant is there for. If, in good faith, they can tell you that what they are doing is all legit, then that is all that is required of you.

Now im not saying that is neccesarily how it went down, but it is a possible legitimate scenario.

I agree with what you say in principle, but haven't they found instances where players signed more than one contract? I guess their excuse will be that one contract superceded another, but the fact that they would have been different for such large amounts would surely have got them thinking that it wasn't all legit.

ManlyBacker link said:
[quote author=CussCuss link=topic=184060.msg275388#msg275388 date=1279173422]
Sigh.

Ok heres the way it works.

Yes the players would have known they were recieving extra payments, but this is not unusual or illegal. If you have a look at the history of salary cap breaches 90% of them are for 3rd party payments declared but reclassified to be included under the salary cap.
This means that there are plenty of 3rd party payments out there that are not part of the salary cap and perfectly legal.

It is not the players job to determine if their pay is outside of the salary cap or not, its the managers and accountants, thats what they are there for, they know the ins and outs of what is exempt and what isnt. If a player is told that payment x is outside of the salary cap, then thats is good enough, they are not lawyers nor are they required to be.

Think of it this way, your accountant says he can knock an extra 10k off your taxable income, using x, y, and z. He says its legal and fine so you go with it. You are not required to learn the ins and outs of tax law, thats what the accountant is there for. If, in good faith, they can tell you that what they are doing is all legit, then that is all that is required of you.

Now im not saying that is neccesarily how it went down, but it is a possible legitimate scenario.

I agree with what you say in principle, but haven't they found instances where players signed more than one contract? I guess their excuse will be that one contract superceded another, but the fact that they would have been different for such large amounts would surely have got them thinking that it wasn't all legit.
[/quote]

The defense the average player would have is that all contract negotiations are handled by a manager, they just bank the cheque and spend the money, that said signing two contracts doesn't look good. And nor does the fact that some players (Im looking at you, Smith) are their own managers.

What the NRL really needs to enforce is the Storm paying back 3.17 million in salary cap over the next 5 seasons, in the salary cap itself. 

As with any team, you break the cap you pay it back and you can't cut contracts. $634,000 under the cap for the next  5 seasons with current players on their current contracts will suit me. Cut as many players as you like but dont cut contract wages. That will be just punishment in my opinion.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7