Line up for Sharks trial Feb 17

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Ben

Bencher
For those that were able to get some worthwhile impressions from last night"s trial and assuming that A F B goes automatically into next week's starting side , what may seem the best make up for the bench ? Frank . Tanga , Perrett , Fainu , Lane , Sipley and Jetski seemed to put their hands up and i guess that our prop depth is being put to the test already . Fortunately still appears to be some willing contenders but on present indications i just wonder who .

I was very impressed with Lanes short stint. Was taking a few hit ups each set and had real sting in his carries. Looks to me a new player. I think he will jag a bench spot. Starting to use his size and looks a little more aggressive. Shame he went off injured, I wanted to see if he could keep that intensity up.

Jetski was another that was impressive. He looks to have red mist in every tackle he makes. Didn't see him enough with the ball in hand to see his skill set but not afraid to charge hard into the line.

Frank is just his consistent self. Nothing new here.

Tang was promising. IMO will get a lot of nrl under his belt this year. His leg speed is crazy with his footwork late at the line. Very strong centre of gravity like Choc.

I watch Perrett play for Blacktown the game before as well. As soon as he came on he changed the game. Massive carries with offloads creating opportunities. Looked a different level playing for Blacktown and to me looks like a nrl player. Not as much impact in the 1st grade trile but deserves his place on our bench.

To be honest I missed Sipley out there but looks a big unit. Had my eyes looking everywhere.

Fainu was solid for his 1st hit out against men. Obviously the sides attack was disjointed with all the new combos and changing of the side through out the night but taking that in mind he looks at home out there. Still needs a little time but this year will develope into a classy and crafty rake.

For me bench will be unfortunately Brown with Lane, Perrett and Sipley for size

manlyfan76

There is no A.I. Just better computers
Thanks for the comments as I didn't see the game.

The format does seem to be: "It's close....what do we let Scam smith get away with? Laying in tackles...ok let's ping Manly for one to drive them crazy."

But actually, maybe it's good to get pinged with penalties that shouldn't be (ala play the balls) as it gives Manly an early wake up call that would usually take 2-3 regular games to understand.

Don't get me wrong, it drives me crazy that professional footy players are so stupid that they can't understand a basic change to a basic rule....so it's good they get practise on it.

I wonder if the Storm will get pinged for a wrong play the ball. I can't see Bellamy not drilling these changes into the players. It would be annoying if Barrett doesn't do the same.

Sometimes it's like Manly teams don't believe points from conversions are real (suck at kicking) and meters conceded from penalties are magic fairy floss penalties not to be feared.
Hastings took the first conversion from the side line and it Hit the post, wright the next one from the same slot and dead set id have done better.

manly al

First Grader
I was very impressed with Lanes short stint. Was taking a few hit ups each set and had real sting in his carries. Looks to me a new player. I think he will jag a bench spot. Starting to use his size and looks a little more aggressive. Shame he went off injured, I wanted to see if he could keep that intensity up.

Jetski was another that was impressive. He looks to have red mist in every tackle he makes. Didn't see him enough with the ball in hand to see his skill set but not afraid to charge hard into the line.

Frank is just his consistent self. Nothing new here.

Tang was promising. IMO will get a lot of nrl under his belt this year. His leg speed is crazy with his footwork late at the line. Very strong centre of gravity like Choc.

I watch Perrett play for Blacktown the game before as well. As soon as he came on he changed the game. Massive carries with offloads creating opportunities. Looked a different level playing for Blacktown and to me looks like a nrl player. Not as much impact in the 1st grade trile but deserves his place on our bench.

To be honest I missed Sipley out there but looks a big unit. Had my eyes looking everywhere.

Fainu was solid for his 1st hit out against men. Obviously the sides attack was disjointed with all the new combos and changing of the side through out the night but taking that in mind he looks at home out there. Still needs a little time but this year will develope into a classy and crafty rake.

For me bench will be unfortunately Brown with Lane, Perrett and Sipley for size
Top stuff Ben . Pepi"s bench looks solid but will be hard to omit Frank . Good if A P I could always go the full 80 and have four big and mobile boopers on the bench

Fibro Eagle

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Typical trial last night
The players were out there to push for selection into the the first grade side
So many substitution with players the was no real rhythm so more of the particular player standing out
Parker did enough to get in front of all the Wrights
As for the forwards AFB , Perrett & Sipley did enough
Hastings was ok I didn’t think he did enough as an organising 5/8 he needed to get the ball in his hands more
But all in all was a good hit out only silly penalties made the score blow out

Smokin Joe

Bencher
A lot of good that Barrett will take from last night,don't care about the second half as much(a lot of guys here there and everywhere).AFB was outstanding and will start,Sipley was very good and will be on bench,Perrett was good but better off bench than a starter(not athletic enough for me to start).Paseka is not far off but not yet...Fainu was very impressive in all aspects,Gosiewski was impressive and outplayed Winterstein and was good defensively off both edges.Tanginoa had a great game,NRL calibre player and Lane was good too.Tom Wright for me had a solid game for playing a half of footy,did some good things and got fended once by Gray but came back to help make the tackle(did not look out of place but still would start in Blacktown.Parker and Kelly were very good too.I was impressed by both Cust and Hastings,they looked very good in all aspects,interesting to see Cust on the left(yes he is a left footer) and Hastings on the right,whether that means Hastings is more a backup to DCE and Cust is more backing up Croker or whether it was just Hastings accommodating Cust as a left footer I don't know.For me pack and bench would be:
AFB
Korisou
Taupau
Thompson
Sironen
Trbojevic
-------
Gosiewski/Tanginoa/Lane(whatever Baz sees best)
Hastings(could have 2 of the above 3)
Sipley
Perrett

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
Typical trial last night
The players were out there to push for selection into the the first grade side
So many substitution with players the was no real rhythm so more of the particular player standing out
Parker did enough to get in front of all the Wrights
As for the forwards AFB , Perrett & Sipley did enough
Hastings was ok I didn’t think he did enough as an organising 5/8 he needed to get the ball in his hands more
But all in all was a good hit out only silly penalties made the score blow out
Good report . Sounds like you were there FE. Where were you sitting ? I was at the grandstand opposite the Leagues club .

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
Not having watched the game, but after having read all the reports and comments .... and then running them through my usual "numbnut filter" ..... I have come to one major conclusion ....

Barrett appears to have some very interesting options and combinations at his disposal ... can only be good news given the past 2 years of the team picking itself ...

PSS Thanks to all who took the time to post.

For me AFB was a stand out. He is only going to keep on getting better. I know Tom Wright didn't do too much with the ball but what he demonstrated was that he has the size not to get easily pushed around and held his own defensively.. Cust Fanua Tangi Jetski also have plenty of potential. Perret looked tired yet still scored. Individually a lot of these youngsters could easily play better being guided by our more experienced team.. We just need to focus simple things like finding touch and discipline.. Whoever back chatted to the referee has to wipe that **** out. Can't afford to give away back to back penalties..
Looking forward to the chooks

Not Paul Kent

Reserve Grader
Does anyone know if it’s possibke to watch the stream as a replay?

Was out last night and would really love to see how the boys went!

• 🤝
Reactions: R3

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
There was a very good sign from the trial that the forwards offer quality depth and there are several players fighting over just a few positions.
With the several CORE players back for the Roosters trial, it will be interesting to see who Barrett throws into the mix.
To the players, its obvious there is openings that only a few can squeeze into and the forwards especially, showed this.
Lane and AFB were standouts and the Jetski defended like a demon....Sipley looked strong and Perrett continually bent the line and looked a chance to offload in traffic, Paseka carried the ball straight and hard but like most young blokes stepping up, was patchy.
Hastings was decent but did not take as much control as expected imo and young Metcalf looked sharp but would have liked to see him take the line on more.
Fainu looked right up to the speed and the contest, yes its only 1 trial but you got it or you haven't - this kid is a massive talent.
Tom Wright had limited opportunities but held up ok, but there were no 1 on 1 setups to exploit his flashy footwork.....this is where Cronulla's halves looked far better - able to fix players on the edge and run block plays, hitting the man out the back, where there were instantly 1 on 1 plays out wide or often overlaps.
The Manly defence was imo hitting harder than Sharks for little reward, as they still played the ball way faster than Manly to build momentum, though the ref seemed to be keen on wetting the whistle, so maybe the Manly players were wary of penalty killers.
This was actually annoying, as 3 separate occasions with Manly on the attack, he blew a play ball infringement, which I had heard was to be done during NRL, not the trials?
Not a problem if its on the table, but make it clear and do it for both teams please...

Blake A

Reserve Grader
For those that were able to get some worthwhile impressions from last night"s trial and assuming that A F B goes automatically into next week's starting side , what may seem the best make up for the bench ? Frank . Tanga , Perrett , Fainu , Lane , Sipley and Jetski seemed to put their hands up and i guess that our prop depth is being put to the test already . Fortunately still appears to be some willing contenders but on present indications i just wonder who .
I would say Winsterstein, Lane and Tanginoa could make up our forwards on the bench. Tanginoa was very good last night. Perrett would be next cab off the rank and may get the nod because he is actually a front rower. Paseka reminds me of T- Rex- a big body but doesn’t quite know how to get the best out of it... not yet anyway.

mickqld

Sea Eagle forever
Tipping Member
.......... though the ref seemed to be keen on wetting the whistle, so maybe the Manly players were wary of penalty killers.
This was actually annoying, as 3 separate occasions with Manly on the attack, he blew a play ball infringement, which I had heard was to be done during NRL, not the trials?
Not a problem if its on the table, but make it clear and do it for both teams please...
This will be the story of our year. You can be damn sure Greenturd will have the refs blowing us out of any games that matter. We won't be allowed anywhere near finals after all this salary cap farce. Especially when that turd comes up with nothing to hang us for.

ALinda

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
AFB was outstanding and will start,Sipley was very good and will be on bench,Perrett was good but better off bench than a starter(not athletic enough for me to start).Fainu was very impressive in all aspects,Gosiewski was impressive and outplayed Winterstein and was good defensively off both edges. Parker and Kelly were very good too.I was impressed by both Cust and Hastings,they looked very good in all aspects,interesting to see Cust on the left(yes he is a left footer) and Hastings on the right,
I've highlighted the parts I agree with in @Smokin Joe's assessment. In particular, for mine AFB, Parker, Fainu, Jetski and Cust were stand-outs.
I was there and yes the 2nd half was a bit of a rabble with continual rotation of players, but it was a no-game and it gave them all a go.
Hate to admit this but I found it difficult to work out who was who. In the past we've been given a team list at the ground but not this time. Saw some good players at times but the numbers meant nothing, very frustrating...

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
My team subject to next weeks game
1. Turbo
2. Taufua
3. Winsterstein
4. Parker
5. Uate
6. Croker
7. DCE
8. Kappow
9. Api
10. AFB
11. Thompson
12. Sironen
13 Turbo 2
14 Fainu
15. Perrett
16. Lane
17. Tanginoa

Shoe1

Journey Man
At 8 nil up, afb made a big break up the middle. A tackle or 2 later our right 2nd rower (Frank?) butchered an overlap by not passing it to the centre. We were 15 metres out by then with the sharks back-pedaling.

manlyfan76

There is no A.I. Just better computers
There was a very good sign from the trial that the forwards offer quality depth and there are several players fighting over just a few positions.
With the several CORE players back for the Roosters trial, it will be interesting to see who Barrett throws into the mix.
To the players, its obvious there is openings that only a few can squeeze into and the forwards especially, showed this.
Lane and AFB were standouts and the Jetski defended like a demon....Sipley looked strong and Perrett continually bent the line and looked a chance to offload in traffic, Paseka carried the ball straight and hard but like most young blokes stepping up, was patchy.
Hastings was decent but did not take as much control as expected imo and young Metcalf looked sharp but would have liked to see him take the line on more.
Fainu looked right up to the speed and the contest, yes its only 1 trial but you got it or you haven't - this kid is a massive talent.
Tom Wright had limited opportunities but held up ok, but there were no 1 on 1 setups to exploit his flashy footwork.....this is where Cronulla's halves looked far better - able to fix players on the edge and run block plays, hitting the man out the back, where there were instantly 1 on 1 plays out wide or often overlaps.
The Manly defence was imo hitting harder than Sharks for little reward, as they still played the ball way faster than Manly to build momentum, though the ref seemed to be keen on wetting the whistle, so maybe the Manly players were wary of penalty killers.
Good sumation mate, i was worried about our front rowers but as you say we have some talent. Fainu will be good to watch develop.

anthonyb1965

GO Manly
My thoughts,

1. Thank god the footy is back!
2. AFB - looks like our starting prop, great game.
3. Toafofoa Sipley - Some nice runs, exciting prospect.
4. Tom Wright - got a 1 v 1 steal early on and looked like a deer in the headlights (I think he didn't expect it) - needs more ball.
5. Cade Cust - busy and looks promising, great kick for Parker to score out wide.
6. Luke Metcalf - not enough game time but talent is evident.
7. Jackson Hastings - was busy for mine and some great 1 on 1 tackles.
8. Kelepi Tanginoa - Is he a lock? Good hustle and some damaging runs. Can he play prop?
9. Taniela Paseka - Lumbering giant, could be promising.
10. Manase Fainu - class player, need to hang on to this one.
11. Jack Gosiewski - great defence, great hustle - where do we play him?
12. Brad Parker - solid performance, not sold on his future just yet.
13. Brian Kelly - good hustle but D still a little off.
14. Frank Winterstein - solid
15. Shaun Lane - had some great touches but he needs consistency to be a regular 1st grader.
16. Lloyd Perrett - handful with the ball and coming off the preceding trial, great effort.

The rest - nothing to see, move along ;)

Hopefully Darcy isn't out too long.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
14 11 3 103 26
14 10 4 118 24
14 10 4 78 24
15 9 6 161 20
14 8 6 60 20
14 7 7 63 18
14 7 7 37 18
15 8 7 -8 18
14 7 7 -50 18