Let's talk tactics vs Warriors

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

NYEagle

Bencher
I just wanted to raise a post about how Manly should approach tactics vs the Warriors in the gf.

I'll leave it up to the master tacticians, but I think Manly's approach has to be to play the game up tempo. I think the Warriors can be completely run of their legs given their hard road and all the traveling and distraction they have had. Plus, the Warriors are notoriously slow starters. I think if Manly try to bash them they'll be sorry, these guys are tough with lots of natural padding, so you can't hurt them.

Other than that do exactly as they have on all year. Patience, controlled sets, and excellent 2nd phase play.

Anything to add?.

Kick to the middle or to Toupou's wing so that Manu has a solid wall to run at, If he catches the first bomb put in grubbers behind him to test his turn speed.

Keep spreading the ball out wide, then change the direction on the last pass - DCE etc showed in the latter part of the year that they can do this.

Warriors can't react quickly from what Ive seen of them. Maybe its their size or their lack of tactical variety?? Still mystified at the Storm's lack of variety to bamboozle them.

We will beat them through the 3/4 line, they have a poor line up and Johnson defending next to the slow Lewis Brown is such a weakness in their side. Their wingers turn up one week in 3, and that was last week.

Match them in the forwards and smash their little men in Johnson, Maloney, Heremaia and Hohaia and we should win by 30.

I couldnt be more confident of a win, if this was a club game in NZ every man and his dog would be tipping us as specials.

Possesion possesion possesion. starve them of the ball at every oppurtunity. Fight steal and bash them for any loose ball and don't make errors with the ball. The Kiwis will switch off without the ball then we run in 5 or 6 quick tries to get a good lead at half time.

-Need to get the basics right.
-In attack hold the ball and don't make errors. Repeat sets will wear them out and frustrate them.
-Quick play the balls.
-Good kick and chases at the end of sets to make the warriors have to bring it back from deep in their half.
-Good disclipline, no lying too long on the tackled player.
-Hard, bruising defence and moving up together in a line. Keep a close eye on Johnson and co when they are trying to make something happen.
-Marker defence needs to be ready for the quick darts from dummy half from their hooker. They made a lot of meters this way against the Storm.
-Lock the ball up and don't allow second phase play.
-They need to remember to do the hard yards and hit it up through the middle before throwing it out wide. No repeat of the first half against the Cowboys when they kept spreading it wide without any ground work.

And above all, have faith, confidence and belief in themselves that they can win it!

Attack the ruck - lotsa Hoppa, Robbo, choc buhrer spurts between the A defenders. A backpeddling Warriors takes away their dominent defence & allows plenty of space for the outside backs to pour on the points plus - maybe more importantly - tires them out for when they attack, leading to poor judgement & usually a lack of respect for possession. Pretty confident this is how it will play out. ;)

I reckon theres only 2 ways they can hurt us - Inu is great under the high ball and bombs on a windy day inside a swirling stadium bombs worry me. Aerial attacks via bombs are always a lottery even if Robbo and Hoppa are sound under the high ball generally.

And also IF they play that frantic throw it around Russian Roulette offload football INSIDE there own half they have the speed in the halves and on edge of the rucks to worry us - our defence is pretty compact sometimes in the opposition half & more suited to a Melbourne Storm type attack.

If they dont get tries off bombs or are able to offload consistently I dont think they can beat us.

Wrap up the ball carrier like your life depends on it, I think they will chance their arm in the 2nd half & pressure their kickers to avoid pinpoint bombs.

Des will be all over this.

I think the tactics v Brisbane were perfect. Score points early, and then throttle them in defence. When we play penalty-free footy, I feel we are practically unbeatable. If we score on them early, and maintain a 6-10 pt lead to H-T, there's no way they reign us back in. Our D is better than the Storm's I feel, and definitely better than the Tigers.

there was a few poiints against broncos and cowboys where i thought we were letting them make meters too easy.. cant do that on sunday
keep penalties to a minimum..first half against broncos showed if we do that we score a lot and fast
put super glue on chocs hands, no silly dropping the ball

Luckily for us I think that there will be latitude given in the ruck, so we will be able to set up camp on their tackled players and slow the whole show down. Cokchin and Archer won't be wanting to make too much of an impression on the game, so there might be a couple of penalties early but after that as long as we aren't stupid about it we'll be able to dominate the ruck. I've already noticed this finals series that the speed of the play the ball has slowed appreciably. That'll take their little men out of it as we should be able to get markers and A defenders set. As long as our big guys aren't lazy on the fringes and cover inside balls, then we should be able to shore up the middle third. That'll force them wide where defensively we have their measure, Killer is basically watertight, and as long as Stevie stays patient he'll be sweet.

The only way they may hurt us is via the aerial route, it's a lottery at the best of times, but windy conditions will make it worse.

The Warriors were well beaten by the Broncos and we really shouldn't be playing them at all. The Tigers beat themselves (thanks to stupid Robbie F), and the Storm were pitiful. We are better all across the park than any of those teams. I can't see a weakness that can be exploited (apart from a slow lateral ruck defender, and if I can see that, surely Des has fixed that problem). I see us scoring, and then continuing to score, running up quite a big one. I want us to attack for the full 80. Rack up a huge score.

Rodo said:
-Need to get the basics right.
-In attack hold the ball and don't make errors. Repeat sets will wear them out and frustrate them.
-Quick play the balls.
-Good kick and chases at the end of sets to make the warriors have to bring it back from deep in their half.
-Good disclipline, no lying too long on the tackled player.
-Hard, bruising defence and moving up together in a line. Keep a close eye on Johnson and co when they are trying to make something happen.
-Marker defence needs to be ready for the quick darts from dummy half from their hooker. They made a lot of meters this way against the Storm.
-Lock the ball up and don't allow second phase play.
-They need to remember to do the hard yards and hit it up through the middle before throwing it out wide. No repeat of the first half against the Cowboys when they kept spreading it wide without any ground work.

And above all, have faith, confidence and belief in themselves that they can win it!

Our coaches here have it well covered, well said boys :p

All I can say is that on sunday its going to be windy coming from the south, and the wind will be swirling around in ANZ making the bombs difficult to track and catch for both teams.

Will be probably cold and a bit rainy too so poor handling could cause problems.

C & C the high ball will be more of a problem for them I think. Hoppa, Robbo and Snake are good in the air, as is Killer. I don't see the skill in that dept on their side.

DSM5 said:
C & C the high ball will be more of a problem for them I think. Hoppa, Robbo and Snake are good in the air, as is Killer. I don't see the skill in that dept on their side.
Fair call bar Inu - exceptional under the high ball & could pose 1 of few problems when they attack inside our 30 metre line.

MK Eagle said:
DSM5 said:
Fair call bar Inu - exceptional under the high ball & could pose 1 of few problems when they attack inside our 30 metre line.

Yeah true, though Inu is always a bit hold and cold and prob not a big game confidence player...we'll see

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2