L'Estrange has eye on coveted No. 9 job

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
L'Estrange has eye on coveted No. 9 job

John Greco
Manly Daily
13Nov07

MANLY signing Heath L'Estrange has welcomed the battle for the vacant hooker's positon next year as the Sea Eagles look to fill the void left by Warrington-bound Michael Monaghan.

The former Rooster began training with his new teammates at Narrabeen yesterday and believes his battle with Matt Ballin for the No. 9 jersey will only benefit the club.

``When you've got so many good blokes in the same position it's good because it makes you compete with people,'' he said.

``You would rather have a bit of competition for places than just walk straight in and know you're going to play.

``I knew when I signed there was some good hookers here and I'm looking forward to the challenge.

``Matty's (Ballin) a great player and very dynamic but you've also got Robbo (Jeff Robson) and (Clint) Halden around as well.

``I'm just hoping to get an opportunity and show what I can do.''

L'Estrange spent four years at the Roosters, mainly in the shadow of representative star Craig Wing, but had an extended run in the first grade when Brad Fittler took over midway through last season.

He said he is looking forward to playing with the club's massive forward pack and forming a good combination with skipper Matt Orford as the club look to build on the 2007 success.

``A few of the boys are still a bit down from the Grand Final,'' the 22-year-old said. ``But it's a whole new year and new team so we just can't wait to get started and hopefully go one better.''

Meanwhile Manly boss Grant Mayer has again distanced the Sea Eagles from wayward Bulldogs forward Willie Mason.

Despite reports to the contrary on the weekend, Manly have not made a formal approach to the Belmore club regarding the disgruntled Mason.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2