Latu Fainu

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I hope Latu is not better than Brooks by the end of the year.

It would be another nail in the coffin of Spoonbold that can't coach young players, just goes for short term money ball.
That’s basically what Des became.Didn’t look to the future and only wanted quick,short term success just to get contract extension.But given the ages of the three highest paid/arguably best players,does Seibold have a choice?

I hope Latu is not better than Brooks by the end of the year.

It would be another nail in the coffin of Spoonbold that can't coach young players, just goes for short term money ball.
Even if Latu came along and surpassed Brooks by the end of this year (which IMO is wishful thinking), Seibs made the right choice in bringing in Brooks. That recruitment decision is one of the few great ones we've enjoyed this past decade.

Excited to see Latu play
Me, too. The kid's going to be a very good player, although I still see him moving to hooker at some point. And Samuela is also going to be a good one. He showed that in his limited appearances with us last season.

Also, do we have any right to bitch about "loyalty" with these two? We let them go. In fact, we asked them to go when they were both signed for the coming years. It's not like they jumped ship as soon as big dollars were waved in front of them (and we waved the big dollars first…)

"Loyalty" is just about empty as a concept in modern rugby league. It's a job for the players, it's a job for the coaches, it's a job for the administrators. Everybody moves around, looking for money and opportunity. You can't really fault them for that.

I'm at the point where I try to enjoy the players we've got for as long as we've got them. And if I like them, or have enjoyed watching them develop, I hope they do well whenever they move on. They'll always have that Manly connection.

Me, too. The kid's going to be a very good player, although I still see him moving to hooker at some point. And Samuela is also going to be a good one. He showed that in his limited appearances with us last season.

Also, do we have any right to bitch about "loyalty" with these two? We let them go. In fact, we asked them to go when they were both signed for the coming years. It's not like they jumped ship as soon as big dollars were waved in front of them (and we waved the big dollars first…)

"Loyalty" is just about empty as a concept in modern rugby league. It's a job for the players, it's a job for the coaches, it's a job for the administrators. Everybody moves around, looking for money and opportunity. You can't really fault them for that.

I'm at the point where I try to enjoy the players we've got for as long as we've got them. And if I like them, or have enjoyed watching them develop, I hope they do well whenever they move on. They'll always have that Manly connection.
The fans who bemoan player loyalty are the same ones wanting us to ship Schuster, Alioai etc etc

I haven't lost any sleep on the Fainu's leaving.

At $1m per year to have both on the books - unproven talent - I'd rather have Brooks on 600k.

The sky was falling in when A Hopoate, K Weekes, Alec T, V Fifita etc. etc. left.

Of course, Manly will eventually lose someone they will regret. But let's look at the overall picture here.

And all of this is a massive overreaction to last week's games as well.

Last edited:
My fav type of poster are the ones who talk about "cutting" players under contract then moan when players sign for "overs" instead of repaying perceived loyalty to a club
Not sure how anyone can ever hold it against a player for taking more money elsewhere…

Players work their a**es off to get to, and stay at, NRL level… they generally get a maximum of 12 years to make their NRL-dollars and spend 30% of that time managing or recovering from injuries…

I never blame a player for taking more money but it irks me that this kid was paid big money to play lower grades and never played for us in the NRL (for clarity, that is TOTALLY on Manly as a club and not Latu)

Tieing up Manase came at a cost tho, in essence it was the Fainu package deal. Latu as a 16y old signed on a 3yr deal 300k a season, crazy money. Sam and Sione were looked after as well. Then they all jumped ship and all headed west. Finally the Fainu's are gone..bye bye...
Meanwhile we lost some of our own juniors to other clubs. Feledy (ironically) to the Tigers and Preston to the Bulldogs.

He reminds me of a young Vautin. Constantly popping up everywhere in attack and defence.

Plus he is tough. He underlined that facet of his game on the weekend.
The Pfft Preston Perspective ....

Preston is no Premiership Winning Vautin or Herculean Haumole
We may let some good ones go
But We Keep the Better !

Haumole Humiliating the Bulldog defenders on his way to the try line
1712105771957.png

Not sure how anyone can ever hold it against a player for taking more money elsewhere…

Players work their a**es off to get to, and stay at, NRL level… they generally get a maximum of 12 years to make their NRL-dollars and spend 30% of that time managing or recovering from injuries…

I never blame a player for taking more money but it irks me that this kid was paid big money to play lower grades and never played for us in the NRL (for clarity, that is TOTALLY on Manly as a club and not Latu)
There were some just weird decisions made re player retention over the baz years / early des years.

To me this was a symptom of a lack of leadership at the club. At least with big Tony on board there seems to be some sort of plan even if many of us would like to see something different

There were some just weird decisions made re player retention over the baz years / early des years.

To me this was a symptom of a lack of leadership at the club. At least with big Tony on board there seems to be some sort of plan even if many of us would like to see something different
Yep… I don’t agree with ALL the decisions but at least you can see a method there… for example, clearing out the Tartak-aligned players to get some power back in the club’s hands or bringing Brooks in as low-cost, high-experience half option or bringing in Seibold because he has relationships within the club that he can build with…
I am a lot more positive about our direction since Mestrov came on board… mind you I am not sure we could have sunk any lower after Jersey Gate and the strain that put on what was obviously a bad relationship with Des already…

mind you I am not sure we could have sunk any lower after Jersey Gate and the strain that put on what was obviously a bad relationship with Des already…
What has happened to the once Inspirational Des Hasler
Every since his decline at his last years at the Dogs and his later years at Manly
He has reached new low levels at the Titans
The Des Hasler Titans Version have started the year as the most ineffective team in the comp
The Winless Titans have turnstile defence and clueless offence
The Titans look like the worst coached team in the comp
The Titans were never this bad under their previous coach Holbrook

What has happened to the once Inspirational Des Hasler
Every since his decline at his last years at the Dogs and his later years at Manly
He has reached new low levels at the Titans
The Des Hasler Titans Version have started the year as the most ineffective team in the comp
The Winless Titans have turnstile defence and clueless offence
The Titans look like the worst coached team in the comp
The Titans were never this bad under their previous coach Holbrook
Agree mostly except for the last line… whilst the titans put in some inspirational efforts under Holbrook (including that last round effort where they should have made finals but for a poor pass at the end)… they also put in some absolute shockers that were generally based upon sh*thouse defence and generally just not turning up…

The Gold Coast have always had issues with big egos and maintaining consistency - which date back to the days of the chargers and the seagulls… agree that Des 2.0 was a poor version but he was always on a hiding to nothing heading to the Goldy (which I am sure he was aware of)

Agree mostly except for the last line… whilst the titans put in some inspirational efforts under Holbrook (including that last round effort where they should have made finals but for a poor pass at the end)… they also put in some absolute shockers that were generally based upon sh*thouse defence and generally just not turning up…

The Gold Coast have always had issues with big egos and maintaining consistency - which date back to the days of the chargers and the seagulls… agree that Des 2.0 was a poor version but he was always on a hiding to nothing heading to the Goldy (which I am sure he was aware of)
Beggars can't be choosers tho, it was either Titans or nothing but a long wait in the coaching queue.

All valid points REG, but think the Fainu's had all this planned for a while, the big shift to Tigertown. When you think of the time and money invested in supporting Manase and his family financially by the club or Des during his stand down period while awaiting trial. Sure, in the end we let them go to Wests, but if they really wanted to stay and fight for their positions and show that they really wont stay at Manly things might of turned out differently. Unfortunately in the end not a lot of loyalty shown by the Fainu's I'm afraid.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8