Latu Fainu

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Tragic Eagle

Tragic
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I doubt Manly tapped either one on the shoulder and it's more likely that more money was sought by the player's manager. Continual contract increases mid contract would make it very difficult to manage a salary cap and plan for the future.

I feel like the club is finally shaking off the shackles and if it means that kids with potential who's manager is chasing more money move on, then that's business. Sometimes hard business decisions must be made.

Bennet is no fool and he won't pay overs for talent untested at the senior level. The Tigers are desperate so anything is possible on that front. I would really like both boys to stay but it looks like it's about the money. It can't be about playing first grade as Samuela has been given a crack in the top grade and done well and Latu has only just turned 18.

Ranga

Bencher
Tipping Member
I’m surprised only 2 clubs have been mentioned as being in the mix for Latu.

I’ve never seen him play, so can’t comment on his ability like others who have seen him play. But if he is as good as what many here say, I’d have thought practically all clubs would be lining up for him. What am I missing?

Budgie

In for the long haul.
2016 Tipping Competitor
Tipping Member

I’ve never seen him play, so can’t comment on his ability like others who have seen him play. But if he is as good as what many here say, I’d have thought practically all clubs would be lining up for him. What am I missing?
Perhaps they see a lack of loyalty and figure they'd offer an 18 year old a very big (say) three year contract only to find he's not mature enough to run an NRL side until he's 21 at which point he once again goes to the highest bidder, despite all their development and financial investment.

The Who

Journey Man
We know the motivation of every manager is money; more for them to line their slimy pockets. So what is the motivation for Latu to move? To play with his brothers? Obviously not. They were doing that at Manly before one chose to chase the money at the Tuggers.
Certainly there is less chance for Latu to achieve on-field success at the Tuggers than Manly.
Why else would he even consider joining the 'Fins in another State, far from his beloved family?
The motivation is financial.
So why should we care about him? Players like him come and go. It's just a job to them. Disregard everything the club has done for his family; money is king.
Fans are here for the long haul. We chose to support a club and stay loyal.

Brooke

Bencher
We know the motivation of every manager is money; more for them to line their slimy pockets. So what is the motivation for Latu to move? To play with his brothers? Obviously not. They were doing that at Manly before one chose to chase the money at the Tuggers.
Certainly there is less chance for Latu to achieve on-field success at the Tuggers than Manly.
Why else would he even consider joining the 'Fins in another State, far from his beloved family?
The motivation is financial.
So why should we care about him? Players like him come and go. It's just a job to them. Disregard everything the club has done for his family; money is king.
Fans are here for the long haul. We chose to support a club and stay loyal.
Do we know it is Latu asking for more money? I got the impression it was initiated by the club for him to look at other offers..

ManEagle

Just a Man and his Eagle
Do we know it is Latu asking for more money? I got the impression it was initiated by the club for him to look at other offers..
Thank you
Alot of assumptions inferring it is Latu asking for more, when it first broke it was the club doing the agitating.
Dissapointed if we cant keep him or not keeping him but hope he goes to bigger and better things with no ill will.

sheridanstand78

First Grader
There has to be a reason for this inexplicable decision to allow the Fainu brothers to look elsewhere.

I suspect it's about diluting Tartaks control mixed with a desire to play regularly in first grade

There's no doubt the talent of the brothers is amazing, Latu is a prodigy and he will be an elite player with the right guidance and work ethics. The games I've seen him play shows that he always seems to have time and he has footy smarts

Im upset that is likely to be leaving, we need to replace DCE in a couple of years.

I wish they could find a solution, this is a huge risk!!

47MVEagle

Bencher
Interesting how so many players mooted to be absolute guns over the past 4 years have all been managed by Tartak.

Suli - no, discipline issues got in the way of any potential at several clubs

Olakau’atu - yes, but still a way to go to be impactful in every game

Saab - yes, shows potential but still has work to do to inject himself when he’s not being fed the ball

Manase Fainu - yes, but destroyed his career with stupidity

Schuster - yes, but has a way to go to develop consistency

Sione Fainu - unknown, left for the Tigers before ever playing FG for us & still hasn’t cracked the starting 17

Tuitavake - unknown, injuries hampered his progress & left for Saints & still hasn’t played FG

Fifita - unknown, left for Saints & still hasn’t played FG

Latu Fainu - unknown as hasn’t played FG yet but apparently shows potential

Samuela Fainu - looked good in the few FG games he played for us, so possibly a yes.

I can’t help but think Tartak used his devious tactics to big up his players’ abilities to create this illusion they were all brilliant & create demand for them.

Brooke

Bencher
There has to be a reason for this inexplicable decision to allow the Fainu brothers to look elsewhere.

I suspect it's about diluting Tartaks control mixed with a desire to play regularly in first grade

There's no doubt the talent of the brothers is amazing, Latu is a prodigy and he will be an elite player with the right guidance and work ethics. The games I've seen him play shows that he always seems to have time and he has footy smarts

Im upset that is likely to be leaving, we need to replace DCE in a couple of years.

I wish they could find a solution, this is a huge risk!!
Totally agree. In the big scheme of the salary cap it is not a lot that Latu is on. Imagine if had of done this to Jake & Tom 8 years ago when Tom was 18.

Brooke

Bencher
Id say Jake and Tom had a better work ethic and other overriding factors that made them keepable.
I would like to think there is more to the story than Simply short term gain ( salary cap) for what could likely be long term pain for us supporters.

Disco

First Grader
Premium Member
To
Interesting how so many players mooted to be absolute guns over the past 4 years have all been managed by Tartak.

Suli - no, discipline issues got in the way of any potential at several clubs

Olakau’atu - yes, but still a way to go to be impactful in every game

Saab - yes, shows potential but still has work to do to inject himself when he’s not being fed the ball

Manase Fainu - yes, but destroyed his career with stupidity

Schuster - yes, but has a way to go to develop consistency

Sione Fainu - unknown, left for the Tigers before ever playing FG for us & still hasn’t cracked the starting 17

Tuitavake - unknown, injuries hampered his progress & left for Saints & still hasn’t played FG

Fifita - unknown, left for Saints & still hasn’t played FG

Latu Fainu - unknown as hasn’t played FG yet but apparently shows potential

Samuela Fainu - looked good in the few FG games he played for us, so possibly a yes.

I can’t help but think Tartak used his devious tactics to big up his players’ abilities to create this illusion they were all brilliant & create demand for them.
To be most of these guys are in their formative years, too early to be writing them off

Will on the hill

Bencher
Tipping Member
I wonder if this ends up working out like the Schuster situation. Club has made a strong stance. Told a player what his value is to us, what our plan is moving forward and what we expect from them to fulfill that value/plan.
If they like it they are welcome to stay. If not they are free to look elsewhere no hard feelings. This is strong leadership and will go a long way to building a strong culture at the club.

Ranga

Bencher
Tipping Member
Totally agree. In the big scheme of the salary cap it is not a lot that Latu is on. Imagine if had of done this to Jake & Tom 8 years ago when Tom was 18.
You’re right - it’s not a huge amount of salary cap. So why aren’t the other 16 clubs fighting each other for the chance to sign a guy that some have described as a ‘generational’ player? Only the Tigers and the Dolphins have been mentioned as potential homes.

I can only guess that the jury is out on whether he has what it takes. That’s fine - he is only 18. Good luck to the kid.

Many here have spoken about the investment we have made in the Fainus and that we shouldn’t ‘sell’ the investment because the potential for it paying off could be large. To draw an analogy, I’ve bought many of these types of stocks in my time, and …. I’m at least 0 and 10 in terms of them being profitable! I’ve always held on too long, but now I understand the sunk cost fallacy.

It might just be that the club, looking forward, sees money best spent elsewhere.

Jerry1

First Grader
I am as confused as you are @Adz I have seen both the recent reports on his current contract and the original reports when he was signed. Including those posted by you about a week ago?
My understanding back then was that there was a club option in his contract for the third year (2024)
I can't find any link to that report today.

However, I can find a number of recent articles (including the ones below) that show he is off-contract for 2024? This is a surprise to me as I thought his option would have been exercised by the club, at the same time as Fifita and Tuitavake left the building.

This from nrl.com
Aaron Woods2023
Alec Tu’itavake2023
Ben Trbojevic20232024
Ben Condon202320242025
Brad Parker2023
Christian Tuipulotu20232024
Daly Cherry-Evans202320242025
Ethan Bullemor2023
Haumole Olakau’atu202320242025
Jake Arthur20232024
Jake Trbojevic2023202420252026
Jason Saab2023202420252026
Jaxson Paulo*202420252026
Josh Aloiai202320242025
Josh Schuster20232024202520262027
Kaeo Weekes2023
Karl Lawton20232024
Kelma Tuilagi202320242025
Lachlan Croker20232024
Luke Brooks*2024202520262027
Morgan Boyle2023
Morgan Harper2023
Raymond Vaega2023
Reuben Garrick2023202420252026
Sean Keppie2023202420252026
Samuela Fainu2023
Taniela Paseka20232024
Tom Trbojevic2023202420252026
Tommy Talau*20242025
Toafofoa Sipley202320242025
Tolutau Koula20232024202520262027
Viliami Fifita20232024
Zac Fulton20232024

Cooper Johns left out from this one as well.
Fifi is gone.

Eagles4Life

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member

There is more to the story @Ranga I am sure the other contributing factors will come out in the future. I am also sure that these other contributing factors will be absolute poles apart, depending on which stakeholder leaks them i.e Tartak, Family and/or family connections, new club, MWSE etc

The Wheel

https://membership.seaeagles.com.au/
Premium Member
There is more to the story @Ranga I am sure the other contributing factors will come out in the future. I am also sure that these other contributing factors will be absolute poles apart, depending on which stakeholder leaks them i.e Tartak, Family and/or family connections, new club, MWSE etc
You are right - my gut feel is Tartak wanted an upgrade for Samuela given his rise to NRL - club told him to stick it. He said stuff it if u don’t pay Sam and Latu will go. Club said do your best.

Anyway that’s my take, obviously something more to it

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
You are right - my gut feel is Tartak wanted an upgrade for Samuela given his rise to NRL - club told him to stick it. He said stuff it if u don’t pay Sam and Latu will go. Club said do your best.

Anyway that’s my take, obviously something more to it
In life we do not get what we deserve We Get what we Negotiate
and Negotiation is a Great Strategic Art
And the Best Negotiator was The Great Arko
BY telling people to stick it you have lost them

Any way from what we know Arko was our Greatest and shrewdest Manly Administrator and Negotiator and that is my take
Have nice day up in your Sunny Gold Coast feathered friend @The Wheel

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
13 10 3 97 24
14 10 4 118 22
14 10 4 78 22
13 8 5 66 20
14 8 6 143 18
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
14 7 6 42 17
14 7 7 37 16