Lack of Energy

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Ryan

Journey Man
Funny, I never thought there was a lack of energy last week, just got worn down by the better side.
But I just remembered, might have been Croker in a recent interview who said 80% of our squad had covid in the off-season (or pre-season?) so maybe there was.
80% of most squads did haha.

We were gassed. The commentators alluded to it 10 minutes into the game. The repeat sets didn't help. I actually thought call after call that if this is the season ahead by the officials we are all doomed as footy fans. There was a blatant knock on missed by Kasey Badger (who was that side of the ruck). Also, I didn't realise the the opposition player in the ruck could get up, grab you, and ragdoll you away from the ruck like what happened to Harper (but apparently Badger missed that) but to be fair, she WAS 1-2 metres away, so may have been too far.

I read exactly what you posted as above and don't agree.
The 3 - 4 man tackles create more fatigue is a farce.
The main reason Manly are juiced with these 1 - 2 man tackles, is the opposition attackers winning the quick play ball while the 1-2 players who made the tackle are still getting off the canvas - meanwhile with the markers often out of play and the ref screaming "offside" at the other middle defenders who are still backpeddling, the tackles get flimsy with grabs and the attack making 15m a carry....this happens again...again...till the kick where there is zero pressure as again (the defence is retreating), landing the kick 5m - 10m out from Manly's line (as had all day to place it), winger gets smashed...players coming back on side, breathing so hard with hands on hips and struggle to get back till tackle 3 or 4....and yes - they again hit in numbers slowing the play and bashing our runners....we then kick from our 40m line and prey DCE finds space, otherswise they start from their 30m - 40m line and its the same set again.
Yet these other Top sides with big men like Solomona, Jess Bromwich, Kamikamica, Burgess, Tatola, Nicholls, Leota, Fisher Harris and many more, get more mileage from "controlling" the ruck and game tempo and benefit from this defensive structure - then have more vigour and energy when running the footy as a result also.
These 3 - 4 man tackles do more than just help the defence maintain energy, but actually zap the attacker who has been dominated on their back and are struggling to find feet, taking seconds longer as the defence gets an easy reset and off the line with vigour, as opposed to backpeddling and struggling for air, also ensuring the defence has the option to get off the line and shut down a potential shift or have time to adjust and slide.
Anyways, will see what happens in coming games, I reckon Manly will start applying more of this style defence and maybe as early as Friday vs Roosters.
You are still not getting it Maxta, it's not a simple case of just adding numbers to the tackle to slow it down, you have to have the correct tackling techniques, wrestling techniques and good fitness levels to continously add numbers to the tackle then get back the 10mtrs more often.

You can add numbers to the tackle but if you don't wrestle effectively and in a manner that is dominant and the ref is willing to allow a slow peel off the tackled player you wont slow down the ruck at all and compound your issues with a thin defensive line and fatigued players coming back into the defensive line off the previous tackle.

You are thinking in simple terms of "add more numbers and gang tackle will slow the play the ball down and everything is resolved".

Mentioning lazy replies like "top sides have big men and get more milage from controlling the ruck" is not looking at the whole picture and what is required in terms of overall team balance from a player physique perspective, general fitness levels and training targeted for more aerobic performances along with rehearsed numbers into the tackle to make it a more efficient process.(ask G.Rose the difference between Melbourne training and Manly, George could barely last a year under the Melb system)

There are benefits in both systems, i agree that we need to slow down the ruck with more aggressive numbers but you make it out like it is a simple overnight fix and it isn't, i am stating "some" of the issues that will be encountered.

I was willing to switch off the game after the first try last night as i knew it was the same low quality crap being dished up but gave it till the second try this time at 8mins or so before i made better use of my time.

The defensive spacing from our slow middles when fatigue is not an issue was appalling to see from a fulltime level squad and evident basically in every try from the highlights vid i watched later on. The second try with not much space down the short side to help and work in our favour is under 7's level and is caused by lazy slow inside defenders causing a chain reaction along the line with not trusting your inside shoulder defender from the outside backs.

I can see a few of those inside forwards getting a massive lambasting this week two in particular, while another two are safe for other reasons but deserve a dressing down and reality check eventually if things don't improve.

On top of that as usual our ineffective, predictable go forward at the start that is lacking confidence is where it all starts, let's not go down the road of the simple "blame it from dummy half" as you can work around that as has been on display last year.(that is not to say a great sharp hooker doesn't make a difference but it is heavily over stated)

One issue i feel Manly suffer on early in the season is playing against fresh new season outfits that are injury free and full of energy, we can't keep up speed wise until the grind of the season kicks in.

Also our crisp early lateral spreads require more time to gain confidence and much more difficult on a dewy night especially after a long off season and we play with slow hesitancy causing predictability and easy to read sets.

mickqld

Sea Eagle forever
Tipping Member
One issue i feel Manly suffer on early in the season is playing against fresh new season outfits that are injury free and full of energy, we can't keep up speed wise until the grind ...
So in other words we haven't learnt anything from last year in terms of defensive resolve and dominance, we've spent the summer doing god knows what because they look to be the unfittest team in the competition. We continue to appear to approach games with no tactical plan to exploit opposition weakness instead play off the cuff lollipop football with rudderless leadership simply relying on the big kid to win us the game. What the f*** are we paying the coaching staff and marquee players for then.

So in other words we haven't learnt anything from last year in terms of defensive resolve and dominance, we've spent the summer doing god knows what because they look to be the unfittest team in the competition. We continue to appear to approach games with no tactical plan to exploit opposition weakness instead play off the cuff lollipop football with rudderless leadership simply relying on the big kid to win us the game. What the f*** are we paying the coaching staff and marquee players for then.
So we have a team to bitch about each week to escape monotonous reality, more escapism in whining or discussion about a loss than the short term high of a win that masks the true reality of our performances and life in general lol.

No i am not mirroring my life in the above reply, just killing off the predicted 10 replies after this beforehand so i have replies to look forward to.

The game last year against Parramatta after Bobby Fulton passed was the best i can remember us play against decent competition.
It shows we can perform to top standards but just aren't mentally up to it for some reason.

mickqld

Sea Eagle forever
Tipping Member
So we have a team to bitch about each week to escape monotonous reality, more escapism in whining or discussion about a loss than the short term high of a win that masks the true reality of our performances and life in general lol.

No i am not mirroring my life in the above reply, just killing off the predicted 10 replies after this beforehand so i have replies to look forward to.
Ok

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
You are still not getting it Maxta, it's not a simple case of just adding numbers to the tackle to slow it down, you have to have the correct tackling techniques, wrestling techniques and good fitness levels to continously add numbers to the tackle then get back the 10mtrs more often.

You can add numbers to the tackle but if you don't wrestle effectively and in a manner that is dominant and the ref is willing to allow a slow peel off the tackled player you wont slow down the ruck at all and compound your issues with a thin defensive line and fatigued players coming back into the defensive line off the previous tackle.

You are thinking in simple terms of "add more numbers and gang tackle will slow the play the ball down and everything is resolved".

Mentioning lazy replies like "top sides have big men and get more milage from controlling the ruck" is not looking at the whole picture and what is required in terms of overall team balance from a player physique perspective, general fitness levels and training targeted for more aerobic performances along with rehearsed numbers into the tackle to make it a more efficient process.(ask G.Rose the difference between Melbourne training and Manly, George could barely last a year under the Melb system)

There are benefits in both systems, i agree that we need to slow down the ruck with more aggressive numbers but you make it out like it is a simple overnight fix and it isn't, i am stating "some" of the issues that will be encountered.

I was willing to switch off the game after the first try last night as i knew it was the same low quality crap being dished up but gave it till the second try this time at 8mins or so before i made better use of my time.

The defensive spacing from our slow middles when fatigue is not an issue was appalling to see from a fulltime level squad and evident basically in every try from the highlights vid i watched later on. The second try with not much space down the short side to help and work in our favour is under 7's level and is caused by lazy slow inside defenders causing a chain reaction along the line with not trusting your inside shoulder defender from the outside backs.

I can see a few of those inside forwards getting a massive lambasting this week two in particular, while another two are safe for other reasons but deserve a dressing down and reality check eventually if things don't improve.

On top of that as usual our ineffective, predictable go forward at the start that is lacking confidence is where it all starts, let's not go down the road of the simple "blame it from dummy half" as you can work around that as has been on display last year.(that is not to say a great sharp hooker doesn't make a difference but it is heavily over stated)

One issue i feel Manly suffer on early in the season is playing against fresh new season outfits that are injury free and full of energy, we can't keep up speed wise until the grind of the season kicks in.

Also our crisp early lateral spreads require more time to gain confidence and much more difficult on a dewy night especially after a long off season and we play with slow hesitancy causing predictability and easy to read sets.
Mate - you have written a novel - I stopped at page 2
Trying to school ppl on footy from a science lab doesn't do much for me.
Keep supporting Manly as it's 1 thing we have in common

Mate - you have written a novel - I stopped at page 2
Trying to school ppl on footy from a science lab doesn't do much for me.
Keep supporting Manly as it's 1 thing we have in common
I typed a general personal opinion reply within this thread not targetting anyone it was you who tried to school me with your condescending replies from the outset.

I didn't disagree with you(and stressed that point) just made points to look at things in more detail and not think there is an easy fix.

At least my replies have paragraph spaces or spaces for each point, one condensed reply of dribble may take up less overall space but i would rather two pages of spaced out dribble that is for sure.

Ryan

Journey Man
In fact there was only 1 big game last year where we put in a huge effort in defense and attack and actually looked like a top 4 team. That was Parra at Parra and that was purely on emotion after losing Bozo.

I particularly enjoyed the Bulldogs game. What was the score again. And in Barrett's post match presser he started by mouthing ****ing hell or something.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
I typed a general personal opinion reply within this thread not targetting anyone it was you who tried to school me with your condescending replies from the outset.

I didn't disagree with you(and stressed that point) just made points to look at things in more detail and not think there is an easy fix.

At least my replies have paragraph spaces or spaces for each point, one condensed reply of dribble may take up less overall space but i would rather two pages of spaced out dribble that is for sure.
What a pest
Your rambling threads take 20 paragraphs just to discuss how a player should catch a football
As for correcting grammar, maybe you would make a better English teacher than a technical coach, lets make a deal....we both use the block button

My responses were all measured and respectful unlike yours targetting my nick(almost from the outset) for your own shytes and giggles.

Secondly your mention of "3 - 4 man tackles create more fatigue is a farce" is a lazy reply with no respect in how difficult it is to implement, the detail levels required to perfect technique and all round fitness to pull it off well.(you do realise applying a strong wrestle even in the dominant position is fatigueing also)

I never once suggested there are no benefits when applied right, yes if done well it will make it easier with less defensive line fatigue and a forward moving defensive line when you control the ruck but you make it out as if it is just a case of implementing this style and all is solved, without respect to the training and fitness behind it and also it's downfalls.

If the numbers don't aim up on the correct forward taking the hitup due to subtle variety or a well rehearsed hit and spin offload for second phase play the defensive line becomes more compressed as a result and our poor lateral movement might be more exposed than it already has been. Crisp spreads, using variety and change of direction through the middle and offloads makes it harder to gang tackle.(one area Melb was exposed in 2008 with Manly taking advantage)

If it was so easy more teams would of matched Melbs consistency in controlling the ruck, but noooo people just prefer to go on and one about "the refs give Melb more latitude" blaming others and not improving from within.

My own grammar is poor as fark and many times people have a go at me for my verbose nature, i just take it on the chin and seek small improvements where i can(all fun for me), but really it is not all that difficult to space out your points so it is easier to read.

XV-1

First Grader
Manly were ok in defence several times when Dogs were trying to get out of their 10m line.
Then other time Dogs would go 85m easy

Red Pill

Enthusiastic Amateur
We had all the ball in the second half. Happy to win but boy it was ugly. We have a lot of work to do. To be fair the doggies have improved by a fair margin but don’t see them playing like this all year. They will fall away and we will hopefully kick up a few gears. We certainly need to.

JBW

Reserve Grader
It's hard to tell what our fitness is really like as we are gifting the opposition 70% possession for the first 30 mins each week. We're gassed from tackling. Maybe we if we cut the errors we'll see how fit we really are.

alafua8

Reserve Grader
When they watch that tape on today’s game that forward pack will be embarrassed, without Turbo playing like a middle forward we would have been hammered..

No energy in defence, stand and wait for the opposition.
Turbo won't last till the end of his contract if he plays like that weekly .Poor bloke is doing what the forwards should .

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
13 10 3 97 24
14 10 4 118 22
14 10 4 78 22
13 8 5 66 20
14 8 6 143 18
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
14 7 6 42 17
14 7 7 37 16