Knox on Salary Cap and other blatant unfairness

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
A draft system would work for players already in the system,eg Taupau etc.But as for young or players new to the system,that’s where it gets tricky.The NRL would have to restructure every competition,pathways system and junior leagues below the top level in the country for it to have any chance of working.Imagine a scenario that has Penrith spending millions on their junior comps and development to see their best young players go elsewhere.You’ll very quickly see Penrith not put any $$$ into development and that’ll be the same for all clubs that develop their own talent.The NRL would need to run and fund everything.AFL clubs basically don’t have juniors aside from a few having academies,all young players coming through have been developed by either their junior clubs or schools
Spot on.

The AFL did the dirty on Blacktown because of the AFL draft. Sent north from Melbourne the little Johnny Punters and their parents all complained the drive to Rooty Hill was too deflating and too far from the airport and Sydney CBD. So the Giants moved and ended up at Breakfast Point and all points east. Now they're planning home games at the SCG. All want the Roosters and Swans life.

Imagine the NRL having a draft and it sending a 17 year old kid from St Marys to Townsville or Auckland or Melbourne or Perth. Won't happen.

Nothing will change with the current salary cap system because nrl influencer clubs purple scum and rorters need it as is to stay competitive. Seriously the 2 clubs with zero juniors have won more premierships combined than the rest over the last decade. It's a fuking rort and the spineless nrl won't ever change it.

Salary cap isn’t working
Draft won’t work

Only way to spread talent is the points system.

Abandon the Cap , the strong survive , the weak die , makes the game stronger overall.

But bring in a points system so that regardless oh how much the rich clubs have they can’t stack their clubs with 30 x million dollar players.

Makes perfect sense to me!!

Paulo is off contract. The Nov one rule only applies to players off contract at the end of 23.

He also signed a min wage deal (apparently).

I mean I'm all for slating the Roosters but Paulo aint the example for it
yeah I agree, but if you are getting ready to tap someone on the shoulder and then you go and sign someone else then it doesnt make sense

As for the 1970s and Manly raiding other teams stars, no one was stopping the other clubs from doing the same if they wanted.
Manly in the 1970s produced a lot more local talent than some people realise. From memory: Jones, Krilich, Igor, Blake, Thompson, Martin, Hamilton, Gartner, Harvey, Thoroughgood, Toovey and other champions that were blooded at Manly such as Fulton and Eadie. Our percentage of locals was a lot higher than any of today's clubs (with the possible exception of Penrith).
My point is that we had a rich vein of locals that we don't seem to have these days.

Clubs are required to spend at least 95% of the Salary Cap and the majority of clubs spend the Salary Cap but not all are successful on the field

This is one of the biggest problems with the salary cap and why guys like Brooks are on 1 mill. The bottom 8 clubs must spend 95% of their cap, even if they don't have enough players of worth to get to 95%.

I thought this was about the school.

I know Connor Watson went there but surely he can't break the cap all on his own. @:D

Does anyone know for sure if players actually pay the fines they receive, or do the clubs pay?
I've always been sceptical about fines.
And secondly, does the NRL publish a balance each year with a record of the fines paid? It should add up to a tidy sum, much greater than the paltry $50,000 awarded for the minor premiership.

Manly in the 1970s produced a lot more local talent than some people realise. From memory: Jones, Krilich, Igor, Blake, Thompson, Martin, Hamilton, Gartner, Harvey, Thoroughgood, Toovey and other champions that were blooded at Manly such as Fulton and Eadie. Our percentage of locals was a lot higher than any of today's clubs (with the possible exception of Penrith).
My point is that we had a rich vein of locals that we don't seem to have these days.
I think we've always had a fair percentage of young talent coming through but they don't seem to get much of a crack at first grade these days, I look at other teams and there's a fair sprinkling of young talent who have quickly established themselves in firsts but our system at the moment doesn’t allow for fast progression of junior talent, we're always in danger of losing rising stars because because of it

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8