Knights Salary Cap

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
How ridiculous is the Salary Cap. Newcastle has to shed its rather minimal talent yet Easts can afford to recruit all stars, including rugby's best.
When will the NRL realise how angry RL fans are about Easts' unchecked advantages?
Salary cap perspective time...
How ridiculous are the Newcastle Knights Salary cap Management
The Shrewd Easts cap management can afford to recruit all stars including rugbys best
Whilst the Incompetent Newcastle cap Managers have to shed its rather minimal talent
When will all the NRL clubs realise that an Organisations greatest asset are its Great Innovative people it acquires

People Power
Nick the Shrewd Greek Politis
Little Nick came to Australia from a war torn poor country and Built an Umpire from nothing
1719881822922.png

StuBoot

Bencher
How ridiculous is the Salary Cap. Newcastle has to shed its rather minimal talent yet Easts can afford to recruit all stars, including rugby's best.
When will the NRL realise how angry RL fans are about Easts' unchecked advantages?
True.
But ask yourself, if you were a player who would you prefer to play for?
I doubt the chooks are paying Dom Young much more than what he was going to be getting at the Knights ( he would've been looking at a major upgrade to stay surely)
They were ready to punt Crichton but he's made it impossible so they tapped Toupinua on the shoulder instead.
They're losing Manu, JWH, Keary who are all elite in their positions.

Conversely, to make the move to Newcastle where the jury is still out on the coach, two hours from Sydney I'd want an extra $100k/ year to cover that.
Plus if you're going to pack up and move you'd be after a longer contract too
It only takes a few of those players to put the cap out of whack especially if you need to upgrade youngsters/depth coming through as well as have "Origin Players" - Safiti was, Frizell was, Gagai was, Best still is, Ponga elite - on the books too.

I'm not defending the chooks but I can see why clubs can get themselves in trouble with cap management.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
I can see why clubs can get themselves in trouble with cap management.
This is called accountability
All clubs are accountable for their own cap management
All clubs are accountable for their own Fortunes and Miss fortunes by their own choices they make

silvereagle

Reserve Grader
Salary cap perspective time...
How ridiculous are the Newcastle Knights Salary cap Management
The Shrewd Easts cap management can afford to recruit all stars including rugbys best
Whilst the Incompetent Newcastle cap Managers have to shed its rather minimal talent
When will all the NRL clubs realise that an Organisations greatest asset are its Great Innovative people it acquires

People Power
Nick the Shrewd Greek Politis
Little Nick came to Australia from a war torn poor country and Built an Umpire from nothing
View attachment 27503
Where do you get all this great stuff @BOZO??
What a terrific success story is Nick Politis. I have had the pleasure of meeting him a few times over a few deals over the years. Smart operator and I suspect he runs the Roosters exactly the same way. Wow he is spitting image of his dad!!!

Hertera

Reserve Grader

Hate the roosters but to be fair they are losing Manu, JWH, Keary, Suuaalli and Tupouniua this year so I don't think it's outrageous that they sign a rugby player.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
Where do you get all this great stuff @BOZO??
What a terrific success story is Nick Politis. I have had the pleasure of meeting him a few times over a few deals over the years. Smart operator and I suspect he runs the Roosters exactly the same way. Wow he is spitting image of his dad!!!
Nick the Greek is a Great Winner . I dont Like the Roosters or any other Club
I only Love Manly but I Admire Nick
as I Admire all Winners

We were Great under the Greatest Administrator in the game our Beloved Godfather Arko and he turned us into the Greatest club of all

Dear Arko ...
May the Bright sun on the Gold coast Shine on you and Illuminate your Greatness
Respect and Love Always
The Silvertails :h:

People Power
The Premiership, Winning Pedigree
The Benchmark of Manly Greatness
1719885556494.png

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
Hate the roosters but to be fair they are losing Manu, JWH, Keary, Suuaalli and Tupouniua this year so I don't think it's outrageous that they sign a rugby player.
Clever posts feathered friend
You can see that the Roosters Invest well

The Who

Journey Man
True.
But ask yourself, if you were a player who would you prefer to play for?
I doubt the chooks are paying Dom Young much more than what he was going to be getting at the Knights ( he would've been looking at a major upgrade to stay surely)
From a financial viewpoint it would have to be Newcastle. Buying or renting in Newcastle is 1/3 that of the Eastern Suburbs. Everything is cheaper in Newy, so Young would be far better off.
Young was discovered by Newcastle. He'd only played a handful of matches in England. Newcastle developed him into a star. He owed Newy from a loyalty viewpoint.
Young was a huge drawcard in Newy. He could have earned a lot from endorsements, appearances etc. At Easts he is just one of a roster of stars.
Newy is a much easier place to live than the overcrowded Eastern Suburbs. It also has better beaches, although this may be disputed.
Overall, I am angry that this guy sold out the club that made him, and that Easts can buy ready-made stars. Don't forget in this same season Easts bought Lenu who every club coveted. Lenu was not chasing a premiership, he was lured by money.
Nothing add ups when it comes to Easts and the Salary Cap.

The Who

Journey Man
How could all those stars you have mentioned fit under the Cap in the first place? Easts have been rorting the system ever since Politis' money and influence became involved.

Rocky

Bencher
How could all those stars you have mentioned fit under the Cap in the first place? Easts have been rorting the system ever since Politis' money and influence became involved.

We could do the same as what Politis is doing - offering large TPAs and jobs for the boys post playing.

He's not doing anything illegal (as far as we know)

We just don't have an owner with the same money or connections.

To be honest the Easts salary cap stuff is a bit overstated for me. Sure they have won premierships but they have also not been in contention a fair amount of times on Politis watch.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I suspect you hit the nail on the head with 'influence'. Politis is a billionaire and would have no shortage of people keen to be in his good books. It's the promise of introductions to some of these folks, all wealthy in their own right but always open to doing a favour for Nick, that helps players off-field and post-career, rather than old-fashioned brown paper bags.

Penn, whether by his absence OS, or simply not his style, doesn't seem to attract (or hasn't bothered to cultivate) such an array of people wanting to get into his good books. (Plus he seems a bit of a cheapskate, at least as far as Manly is concerned).

The Who

Journey Man
I suspect you hit the nail on the head with 'influence'. Politis is a billionaire and would have no shortage of people keen to be in his good books. It's the promise of introductions to some of these folks, all wealthy in their own right but always open to doing a favour for Nick, that helps players off-field and post-career, rather than old-fashioned brown paper bags.

Penn, whether by his absence OS, or simply not his style, doesn't seem to attract (or hasn't bothered to cultivate) such an array of people wanting to get into his good books. (Plus he seems a bit of a cheapskate, at least as far as Manly is concerned).
Influence strikes again:
The Roosters have received confirmation that rugby union star Mark Nawaqanitawase has been granted an early release to join the club in 2024.

Having previously signed a two-year deal from 2025, the Wallabies winger has been granted an early release from his rugby contract to join the Roosters immediately after his commitments at the Paris 2024 Olympics.

Disco

First Grader
Premium Member
Looks like Chad Townsend heading there too.

I think Roosters could take quite the tumble next year

Last edited:

The Who

Journey Man
Looks like Chad Townsend heading there two.

I think Roosters could take quite the tumble next year
Keep watching. They will recruit some topline stars and trot out the faux reason that these players have accepted unders because they want to win a premiership.

Andrew..

Bencher
Tipping Member
From a financial viewpoint it would have to be Newcastle. Buying or renting in Newcastle is 1/3 that of the Eastern Suburbs. Everything is cheaper in Newy, so Young would be far better off.
Young was discovered by Newcastle. He'd only played a handful of matches in England. Newcastle developed him into a star. He owed Newy from a loyalty viewpoint.
Young was a huge drawcard in Newy. He could have earned a lot from endorsements, appearances etc. At Easts he is just one of a roster of stars.
Newy is a much easier place to live than the overcrowded Eastern Suburbs. It also has better beaches, although this may be disputed.
Overall, I am angry that this guy sold out the club that made him, and that Easts can buy ready-made stars. Don't forget in this same season Easts bought Lenu who every club coveted. Lenu was not chasing a premiership, he was lured by money.
Nothing add ups when it comes to Easts and the Salary Cap.
I read somewhere that Politis has plenty of real estate around the Eastern Suburbs so he can offer rentals for free or at a reduced rate, I'm guessing subsidised accommodation would be salary cap-exempt. I also heard Anasta talking on NRL360 and he was saying that he still contacts Politis to seek out his opinion on business matters, he offers so many extras, that it's virtually impossible to compete against.

Heckenberg

Reserve Grader
We could do the same as what Politis is doing - offering large TPAs and jobs for the boys post playing.

He's not doing anything illegal (as far as we know)

We just don't have an owner with the same money or connections.

To be honest the Easts salary cap stuff is a bit overstated for me. Sure they have won premierships but they have also not been in contention a fair amount of times on Politis watch.
It’s not a money issue with penn he’s just a tightass

Team P W L PD Pts
15 12 3 113 28
15 10 5 108 24
15 10 5 77 24
16 10 6 195 22
15 8 7 64 20
15 8 7 40 20
16 9 7 2 20
15 8 7 -30 20
15 7 7 28 19
15 7 8 21 18