Kerry Packer Dead

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
[quote author=Corso_Pete]
I think his actual quote after being clinically dead for a few minutes at that polo match was something along the lines of \"there is good news and bad news, the good news is theere is no devil, the bad news is there no heaven either\".

From Today's Herald:

I've been to the other side, and let me tell you son, there's nothing there." - In 1990 after his heart stopped while playing polo.
[/quote]

I actually saw the interview with Ray Martin and Corso is spot on. He may have rephrased it elsewhere...

And the same for you Corso Pete.

You regularly post here your opinion that material wealth is the true measure of success.

Basic psychology tells us that the human has a number of needs - physical, emotional, mental and spiritual. This is what I mean by holistic.

As an example of the limited scope of your opinion, let's take the statement "a ruthless business person who would bully lesser men to gain his way."

A few observations cry out to be made:

1. The great men of history are those that have served humanity, not themselves. I didn't see Abraham Lincoln or Martin Luther King building their own private golf links.

2. Perhaps it is your line of work, but ruthless and business are unfortunate bedfellows, not neccessarilly a preferred modus operandi. Again, far better a business that serves the people than one which maximises the personal wealth of an individual and their immediate (spoiled) family.

3. I have no doubt that a man of Packer's wealth, power and temperament would "bully" a phlegmatic man such as my father. This does not make my father a lesser man in my eyes. IT makes him what he is - a gentle soul who cares not a jot about business and has devoted his lifetime to bettering society at great personal cost. (For the record my ruthless streak is passed down from my mother).

4. I think you will find many a bad word said about Packer, though often whispered for fear of the man. I thought you would know better than to confuse "fear" with "respect".

I have a strong suspicion the only people that are truly mourning his passing are those that have been beneficiaries of his occasional largesse. Many others would be privatelky glad of his passing though too scraed to say so.

Most would be ambivalent.

My opening statement is that he is a hard man to mourn. I do not step back from that by a millimetre.

I am sorry about his passing. Tough uncompromising bastard - yes. But I feel I have (had) more in common with him than most other of this county's big shots. He liked a punt and that is the aussie way (recent blow-ins just don't get it!), he was loyal to those who had been loyal, and he made decisions that risked a hell of a lot and that is what the world is built on. Vale Kerry.

As for attitudes to money - Mata, maybe you don't get how these types of people see it. The deals, the building of a business, the growth and making something tangible is what it is about. Money is just a nice way to keep score. For the really good ones it has nothing to do with getting wealthy, it is about the game/business/life and how it is played. That \"camel through an eye of a needle\" stuff is poor thinking IMO.

Perhaps it comes from playing exactly the same game but choosing to view my results through a very different scoring system.

Maybe I should just be feeling sorry for Packer. He obvioulsy didn't spend much time in deep reflection.

Mata - you can feel any way you like. I liked the cranky bastard and believe he did a great amount for a lot of people. Not everyone is going to agree with that. No sweat.

Paul Barry wrote a biography on Packer and it wasn't that complimentary, though a good read.

He was a hard-nosed bastard. A very hard man indeed.

I suppose we will have to agree to differ!!!

[quote author=Matabele]
And the same for you Corso Pete.

I don't disagree, that is my opinion and you have your yours, we have differing views, nothing more, nothing less.
[/quote]

Are you saying that it is impossible to say one has more merit than the other?

I have not ever argued that one lifestyle is better or worse than another. I feel the critiscm aimed at Packer and the way he spent his money was unwarranted.

To the best of my knowledge he earnt his money legally, wether you agree with the morals of how he did it and spent it is the point of my arguement. He chose his lifestyle and it would seem that he enjoyed it, there can't be too much wrong with that.

I would never be critical of the Sisters of Charity, Monks and others who spend their lives in poverty to care for others. You could even include others who choose to forego salary to work with others who are need of assistance. It is the life they choose and for that they are to be commended, but that is not the way that I and many others choose to spend their lives.

I don't know who is right, but I do know that I am comfortable with the way I choose to live mine.

You guys use too many big words for me, so i'm just gonna say that i am grateful of what he has done with sport as it is a very high priority on my list.... i can't live without it namely rugby league and cricket and i get to see rugby league 2 times a week on channel 9 (i also have foxtel so i obviously see more) with some decent blokes commentating so that keeps me happy....... oh until they put the broncos on foxtel and then again on channel 9 (just because i am in QLD doesn't mean i want to see them tools playing every week) but that is what it is and i can either move or put up with it.

As for cricket... well i really don't know if it'd still be screening on our televisions if it wasn't for what packer did with it!! I love the concept of one day cricket.. as for 20/20... i'm not real sure, at the moment i'm not fond of it!!

But yeah i am grateful for what he did for us sport nuts and as far as his death goes i will feel for his family like i do almost every death, but i didn't know him personally so have no love / hate opinion on him!

To the best of my knowledge he earnt his money legally, wether you agree with the morals of how he did it and spent it is the point of my arguement. He chose his lifestyle and it would seem that he enjoyed it, there can't be too much wrong with that.

The measure of a man is not what he did for himself.

For those on both sides of the Packer fence this is an interesting read:

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2005/12/28/1135732641758.html

A titanic legacy tinged by shallow, selfish interests
By Justin Norrie
December 29, 2005

These statements sum it up well for me:

"Packer, we have heard, was 'a great friend of the game'. What tosh! Like all successful businessmen, he protected his commercial interests and attracted a host of followers who relied on his patronage," it said.

"Few people did more than Packer to live up to [Oscar] Wilde's definition of the cynic: 'A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing."'

In its leader column, The Guardian agreed that Mr Packer's motives were selfish but defended his influence on the game of cricket,

and for some balance:-

Prime Minister John Howard led the tributes to Mr Packer, describing him as a great Australian.

"He believed in looking after his own interests and made no apologies for doing for that, but always there was a concern about Australia," said Mr Howard.

"He's a person whose company I liked. I regarded him as a friend."

Federal Treasurer Peter Costello said: "He had an instinctive feel for public opinion which allowed him to build the Nine Network with a galaxy of popular shows and entertainers."

Opposition Leader Kim Beazley said: "Kerry Packer was a tough Australian nationalist who produced great innovations in the Australian media. His views were underpinned with a profound patriotism."

News Corp chief Rupert Murdoch called him "the most successful businessman of our generation".

Australian captain Ricky Ponting called Mr Packer "one of the all-time great thinkers and figures of Australian cricket".

Cricket Australia (CA) said Mr Packer ranked alongside Sir Don Bradman as "one of the giants who have influenced the shape of Australian cricket".

Channel Nine cricket commentators Richie Benaud, Tony Greig, Ian Chappell and Bill Lawry described Mr Packer as a generous, charismatic man who had a great sense of fun.

Nine Network presenter Ray Martin said Mr Packer always demanded excellence and would come down "like a ton of bricks" on anyone who failed him.

"(But) he was similarly quick to praise," Mr Martin said.

Lynton Taylor, one of Mr Packer's most trusted lieutenants, said: "He knew everything that was going on in his business, he loved television to the point of obsession, he dealt with his businesses on a day to day basis even up to Christmas Eve."

AFL identity and quiz show host Eddie McGuire recalled Mr Packer's annual gift of Christmas hampers to every staff member, from the lowliest to the highest paid stars.

\"(But) he was similarly quick to praise,\" Mr Martin said.

AFL identity and quiz show host Eddie McGuire recalled Mr Packer's annual gift of Christmas hampers to every staff member, from the lowliest to the highest paid stars.
These are good things to know.

once again matabele,up on your holier than thou pedestal.show some respect ,the guy just died..

What Packer gave away in philanthropy (and received priceless publicity for) is only a fraction of a percentage of his overall wealth.

The average Aussie gives far more on a per capita basis and doesn't expect the plaudits for it either.

Rubbish, he didnt expect publicity for his donations and in fact shunned it.

Suggest you read the Rise & Rise of Kerry Packer. Its the unauthorised biography and is as close as any of us mere mortals could get to understanding what it is like in that stratosphere or what the Kerry was like on a personal level.

How do we all know about his donations then? Surely not because it was on Channel 9 news?

My definition of anonymous donation:

A bank cheque or cash donation with absolutely no way of it being traced back to source.

How do we all know about his donations then? Surely not because it was on Channel 9 news?

My definition of anonymous donation:

A bank cheque or cash donation with absolutely no way of it being traced back to source.

Like I said. Read the Rise & Rise of KP. Thats where I learnt about his donations. Its a balanced and well researched book, capable of changing attitudes on this subject.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6