Keppie

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Errors per min would probably make sense. Total errors really only counts when comparing 80min players.

He goes hard, no doubt - but he also has handling errors and silly penalties in his game.

He sits well behind Paseka, Taupau, Aloiai in the prop stakes l and well behind Olaka’atu, Schuster, Jurbo, Bullemor in the backrow.

Needs to cut out the errors and penalties and get more consistent….
Hence why I reference errors per minute.

I agree he is behind all those mentioned bar Bullinor at this stage.

But the point is he is not near as bad as people are making out.

His role in the team is to be the firebrand and his place in the 17 remains important imo

Is Keppies constant dropped balls a reality or is it just a popular narrative?

A look at the 2021 stats in the attached pic shows 11 Manly players had more errors then Keppie last year.

Keppie had 8 in 20 appearances less then 1 every second game.

Now you can argue minutes played come into it. So Keppie played 864 minutes for 8 errors. So 1 error per 108 minutes.

In comparison Marty had 1255 minutes and 14 errors. So an error approx every 89 minutes.

If you wanted to pivot are argue penalties....well Keppie had 8 last year with 6 other players equal or worse.

So in summary does Keppie as a 23 year prop have to keep working and improving?

Sure.

Has there been an overeaction after the FIRST trial of year?

Sure...
Any stats on whether DeLuxe made an error? I can't remember one.

Is Keppies constant dropped balls a reality or is it just a popular narrative?

A look at the 2021 stats in the attached pic shows 11 Manly players had more errors then Keppie last year.

Keppie had 8 in 20 appearances less then 1 every second game.

Now you can argue minutes played come into it. So Keppie played 864 minutes for 8 errors. So 1 error per 108 minutes.

In comparison Marty had 1255 minutes and 14 errors. So an error approx every 89 minutes.

If you wanted to pivot are argue penalties....well Keppie had 8 last year with 6 other players equal or worse.

So in summary does Keppie as a 23 year prop have to keep working and improving?

Sure.

Has there been an overeaction after the FIRST trial of year?

Sure...
Yep, what stats don’t tell us is the how,when, where & why.

The Bulldogs last year had one of the highest completion rates - but they didn’t really threaten anybody.
Marty makes more errors because he’s regularly looking to off load and the opposition know that so he’s more prone to an error.
As l prefaced in my previous post on Keppie he coughed up the ball in a nothing hit up, he wasn’t trying to offload and it wasn’t a particularly massive hit in defence. Just tuck it under his arm, take the tackle and away we go. I think he had an another “soft” error in the game too.

It could be an over reaction after the first trial but in my opinion it’s not just a one off.

I so want to be wrong but the jury is still out with me.

Last edited:
It's obvious there are very very few players good enough for some Silvertailers! Instead of giving encouragement we bag them. I guess coming 4th last season was not good enough either. Were the games we lost due to Keppie. Every forward makes mistakes & many of the more notable ones more often than Keppie. At this time & in order of importance Marty, Paseka, Keppie, Aloiai, Sipley for mine.

Yep, what stats don’t tell us is the how,when, where & why.

The Bulldogs last year had one of the highest completion rates - but they didn’t really threaten anybody.
Marty makes more errors because he’s regularly looking to off load and the opposition know that so he’s more prone to an error.
As l prefaced in my previous post on Keppie he coughed up the ball in a nothing hit up, he wasn’t trying to offload and it wasn’t a particularly massive hit in defence. Just tuck it under his arm, take the tackle and away we go. I think he had an another “soft” error in the game too.

It could be an over reaction after the first trial but in my opinion it’s not just a one off.

I so want to be wrong but the jury is still out with me.
Agree StuBoot, games can be tuned on there head by a simple bobble, loose grip etc, Keepies got to work on eradicating these errors from his game. No point smashing defenders out of the way, if you can't hang onto the ball.

It's obvious there are very very few players good enough for some Silvertailers! Instead of giving encouragement we bag them. I guess coming 4th last season was not good enough either. Were the games we lost due to Keppie. Every forward makes mistakes & many of the more notable ones more often than Keppie. At this time & in order of importance Marty, Paseka, Keppie, Aloiai, Sipley for mine.
Lol

It’s just people talking footy. Rugby league analysis is fascinating and discussing the merits of individual players is all part of it. It’s not like the forum is a card that gets mailed to players, with discouraging sentiments...it’s just people shooting the breeze, as the forum intends.

Its just my opinion but I its looks to me that Keppie is overly tense and is trying too hard. He needs to relax and get into the grind and just focus on the basics like catching the footy and hanging onto it. Thoughts of off loading tend to result in poor ball security. Keppie will go well this year.

Keppie is the best forward we have ... I don't give a rats unwashed backside how many times he drops the ball .. desire is everything ..

He of all the Manly players is the bloke I would want to be running out next to and standing beside in the line.

Games are rarely won by the bloke that never makes an error.. and team attitude and spirit are created by the Keppie's of the world.

All hail Keppie..

And chewie on the boots of all numbnuts that bag him

Keppie is the best forward we have ... I don't give a rats unwashed backside how many times he drops the ball .. desire is everything ..

He of all the Manly players is the bloke I would want to be running out next to and standing beside in the line.

Games are rarely won by the bloke that never makes an error.. and team attitude and spirit are created by the Keppie's of the world.

All hail Keppie..

And chewie on the boots of all numbnuts that bag him
Best forward we have.....oooofft can't agree with that.

Australian and SOO mainstay Jake Trbojevic says hi!

Olakau'atu...easily, Schuster currently in the forwards and personally I have Paseka and Marty ahead.

I have Keppie arguably the best of the rest (Aloiai in peak form perhaps ahead) but a key cog in our 17 as that firebrand type

Last edited:
Best forward we have.....oooofft can't agree with that.

Australian and SOO mainstay Jake Trbojevic says hi!

Olakau'atu...easily, Schuster currently in the forwards and personally I have Paseka and Marty ahead.

I have Keppie arguably the best of the rest (Aloiai in peak for perhaps ahead) but a key cog in our 17 as that firebrand type
In a 17 man huddle in a dressing room a team mate will place far less value on a blokes stats and rep games .. and a lot more on who they want beside them ... I would pick Keppie.

But that is me .. other people are entitled to be wrong.

In a 17 man huddle in a dressing room a team mate will place far less value on a blokes stats and rep games .. and a lot more on who they want beside them ... I would pick Keppie.

I think you are in the minority across the game who'd want Keppie next to them ahead of Jake.....but as you say, each to their own

No doubting Keppies toughness and desire to get on top of the opposition, everyone can see this, just needs to fine tune his game. Definitely in the 17 for mine, more to like than not. Like your last line, "other people are entitled to be ...wrong !! classic !!

Keppie is going to have an awesome year for us. I think the whole pack will go up another level or two this season. Keppie will be a massive part of that.

He has the talent. But like most have said, he needs to cut out the mistakes and penalties from his game, or at least minimize them.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Des starting Keppie over Taupau. I think a front row of Paseka and Keppie can be a very strong one with Taupau coming off the bench with either Sips, Boyle, Aloiai or Bullemor being the other prop.

I like Keppie and hope he gets a fair shot this season. Too many errors for sure, but he is one of the few forwards in our squad who I've seen make a tackle or have a carry that often defies the momentum of the game at that point. I reckon that's an awesome attribute in the current game, and if he can get a bit of consistency he can go a long way to setting a good tempo in defence and attack.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8