Kennedy's Back

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Downie

Reserve Grader
Kennedy's Back

For real this time.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21986661-5001023,00.html

MANLY have secretly signed their former champion forward Ben Kennedy on a $3 contract as an insurance policy against injuries in the run home to the finals.

Sea Eagles CEO Grant Mayer registered the contract with the NRL last night, paving the way for the club legend to make a comeback at any time.

The money is a far cry from the $400,000-a-season he commanded only last year when he was widely regarded as the best and most damaging forward in the NRL.

Mayer told The Daily Telegraph last night that coach Des Hasler had done the deal with Kennedy after weeks of discussions.

\"Ben told Des he still misses Manly dearly and would love to play again,\" Mayer said, \"They've been talking about it for a long time.

\"He basically said to Des, 'If you're struggling with injuries at any time, don't forget about me'.\"

Mayer said Kennedy had kept himself in great shape since retiring at the end of last season.

\"He hasn't trained a lot but he still looks great,\" Mayer said.

\"I guess you'd have to say it's a 1000/1 chance that he'd play but you never know what can happen in this game. It's fantastic security for us to know he's there as such a great fall-back option.\"

Hasler said: \"Ben's the sort of bloke who could do it, even after a long absence.

\"But to be honest, it's unlikely. I've got great back-rowers already and I've got great depth.

\"It's a nice safety guard. We've been discussing it for a while actually. It's been quite funny. Ben wanted a $5 deal, I said $1, so we met halfway. Seriously, how loyal is the bloke? He'd come back for sure if we needed him.

\"It's all very hypothetical at this stage but who knows what's going to happen down the track?\"

Mayer faxed the contract to the NRL's salary cap auditor Ian Schubert late yesterday, just 48 hours before the deadline.

It is a similar move to that of the Melbourne Storm, whose coach Craig Bellamy signed retired forward Robbie Kearns to a $2 contract last year in case he was needed for the finals.

Kennedy would not accept phone calls last night, but told one club official: 'I still love the club, I love all the players and always will. I'm still very loyal to them. If they need me I'm there.\"

NRL boss David Gallop confirmed the contract had been registered last night.

\"It's a legitimate contract and it's been done before with Melbourne,\" Gallop said.

\"Any match payments he earns would go into their cap for next year.\"

Kennedy may initially struggle if he returns from a nine-month break but one source had no doubt he would be capable of again holding his own in the NRL.

\"Lots of players spend nine months on the sidelines with injuries and come back,\" one Manly official said. \"A lot of people think Ben retired one year too early, anyway.\"

Kennedy's Back

How is the embarrassing?

He would slot straight in and give such an edge with his intensity.

So many wins came last year on the back of him just giving the team passion and a mental toughness, imagine that with the team this year?

Feck Willo off, BK to lock and menzies and backrow.

Kennedy's Back

How is the embarrassing?

I would have no problem giving BK a contract if he was to show up every week and play 60 mins.

The problem here is we have given a $3 contract to a bloke who works in a fruit barn just in case of injury. He hasn't been training, playing... nothing!

This is a result of our club not being able to pick up any forwards this season. As great as BK is, he wouldn't have a contract right now if the club could have secured another signature.

Kennedy's Back

what a champion- while it's unlikely to happen I'm proud that after such a short stint at the club (relatively speaking) he is so loyal to the place. I'm with you Nutz- I'd have him back in a heartbeat.

Kennedy's Back

Yeah Flip - stop being a tool, taking a contrary stance on something just for the sake of it.

You know damned well BK is superior to blokes like Willo and Cuthbertson even if he has been packing fruit boxes for 9 months.

Kennedy's Back

Yeah Flip - stop being a tool, taking a contrary stance on something just for the sake of it.

You know damned well BK is superior to blokes like Willo and Cuthbertson even if he has been packing fruit boxes for 9 months.

:sleep:

Kennedy's Back

[quote author=Matabele]

:sleep:

[/quote]

:stupid:

Kennedy's Back

Really?

Am I the only one who can see he's been away from the game in a fruit barn for 9 months doing no training at all.

If injuries occur we expect him to be there at the drop of a hat and just slide into NRL level like he never left?

I hope it works, but my brain tells me its not as easy as it seems.

Kennedy's Back

Great news, to be honest it's great we have such a champion like BK to have played for our club. Even better that he feels more loyalty toward Manly than Newcastle.

IMO he has made a greater impact to the club than Beaver.

Should I put my flack jacket on?

Kennedy's Back

IMO he has made a greater impact to the club than Beaver.

Should I put my flack jacket on?
That is one of your best Byso!!!! Kennedy made an impact in his two seasons with us but to claim more than Beaver ....... 8| 8| 8|

Kennedy's Back

IMO when Manly needed Beaver to shape up and show leadership 4 years ago he simply drifted and offered little.

BK bought back the killer instinct into the whole club, as soon as he started. There's know way Beaver could ever do that.

In fact BK rejuvenated Beavers career. By giving him a competitive edge back into the club.

Kennedy's Back

Its a good point byso.

IMO beavers hanging around during the times of the Beagles makes him a legend of the club. More than anything Kennedy did.

But BK did bring back the fire to the team. While beaver doesn't make a good captain he is streaks ahead of BK at the manly club. IMO.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4