Kennedy, Watmough, Matai, Stephenson

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Which was pretty stupid considering Des was playing a front/back rower in the outside backs.

Let's face it he did have defensive issues when he first started, let's not try and rewrite history here. He fixed that and tempered his aggression, now he is a gun. Well done to Skivvi for showing perseverance and passion, he has cemented a spot as one of our all time greats.

Next you'll be telling us that Taufua didn't deserve to be dropped for Blair when he comes back next year and makes the NSW origin side.

Good bump @lsz .

This provides a really interesting perspective on how players can change so significantly over a long career.

Not sure anyone is saying that he did not have issues when he first started - the point was maybe it is worth giving players time to work it our rather than writing them off when they are still very young in their career

I was not overly critical of Matai for this reason but I remember having major doubts about him and thinking Ashley Alberts was a much better prospect.

• 👍
Reactions: Fro
This thread raised 2 good points in both centres mentioned. Some kick on to great things and some fade off into the wilderness.

Rough rule of thumb is 20 first grade games to get an idea and 50 to see full potential

• 👍
Reactions: Fro
Garts said:
I was not overly critical of Matai for this reason but I remember having major doubts about him and thinking Ashley Alberts was a much better prospect.

Ashley Alberts WAS a better prospect.

Unfortunately he didnt develop, didnt have the ticker or work ethic or willingness to got the extra yard as Matai proved to have.

A cautionary tale about throwing ridiculous money at unproven rookies.

Fro said:
Garts said:

Ashley Alberts WAS a better prospect.

Unfortunately he didnt develop, didnt have the ticker or work ethic or willingness to got the extra yard as Matai proved to have.

A cautionary tale about throwing ridiculous money at unproven rookies.

http://www.silvertails.net/forum/Thread-ASHLEY-ALBERTS-TO-MAKE-NRL-DEBUT-FOR-SEA-EAGLES

Good to see some thoughts on players when we first saw them, and how this can change given time.

My first reaction to Matai was pretty underwhelming, and along the lines of 'he throws his arm out like a deadset turnstile'. At the time correct, but hasn't he come on in leaps and bound?

My first reaction to Glenn Stewart was 'well we know who got all the talent in that family'. At the time probably harsh, but he proved himself a great player in his own right.

My first reaction to Joe Gulavuo was 'why do we buy hasbeens?'. At the time terribly unfair and he proved himself a really top buy.

A kid by the name of Karl Johnson was running around with Matai in ressies earlier that year. He thought he was a shoo-in to take Hoppa's centre position, the day he belted Galloway.

Matai got the call up the following week. Hard to believe we were so harsh on a bloke in his first season, who was in and out of the top grade all year.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2