keep politics out of the game

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now you're confusing me. Weren't you fully supportive of individual Manly players making their own virtue calls and refusing to wear the inclusivity jersey?

Yes ... I was and am correct ... anarchy is at the front door ...

However .. I do think that forcing individuals to wear a jersey promoting something against their beliefs ... is an escalation above just staying silent and going with the flow for the good of the team ... I don't believe they were against an inclusion round ... just being forced to wear a Gay pride jersey ... I also believe they would have been happy to play alongside team members who did choose to wear it.

In regards to your question 'where does it stop', presumably any issue only arises when it arises and even then is only acted on when some tipping point is reached.
Recent example, Australia just withdrew from an ODI tournament in protest at Afghanistan's treament of women. Last Thursday. Why the sudden change? Afghanistan played in the World T20 only a month or 2 ago?

Yep .. inconsistency will rein supreme ...

Or another example, this story I posted yesterday about horrendous treatment of women in Welsh rugby.

When some issue comes to light, it might get some traction, until then it still exists but no-one acknowledges/admits/even notices. That is generally how things happen in politics, isn't it? Not many people say "Down tools until we have Utopia". Or if they do I've never heard it.

Oh ... and Pat ... maybe you need to stop playing games at night ... under all those electricity consuming lights ... day games only lad from now on

I do think that forcing individuals to wear a jersey promoting something against their beliefs .
Maybe that is why they were not forced?
Anyway I've never defended they way the club organised it all. Or failed to organise it, more to the point. But I do think it was a worthwhile promotion and an important issue and the NRL will eventually get around to addressing homophobia in the game, whether in a meaningful way remains to be seen.

Maybe that is why they were not forced?
Anyway I've never defended they way the club organised it all. Or failed to organise it, more to the point. But I do think it was a worthwhile promotion and an important issue and the NRL will eventually get around to addressing homophobia in the game, whether in a meaningful way remains to be seen.

Homosexuality is still illegal in the following countries ....

PNG, Cook Islands, Samoa, Tonga, or Lebanon.

Should Australia refuse to play any further tests against them ?

More likely working through the issue in the current NRL would achieve something. If players from those island nations get to have a better knowledge of the issues, esp that being gay is not a choice - I'd expect that to have some effect back in their home countries because I'm sure NRL players are highly respected there for their feats. If youngster hear you can go and be a footy star in australia but they do demand acceptance of gays who knows, it may get them thinking about it too?

Politicians and others have been paying lip service to important issues forever, and proposing token actions around them forever. How does it help anyone's understanding to simply use new catchphrases like 'virtue signalling'?
If you think an issue isn't a real problem, just say so.
If you think the proposed action is just a token gesture, just say so.
Does virtue signalling mean token gesture or something else? What's wrong with token gesture? Maybe young people don't know what a token is.

Politicians and others have been paying lip service to important issues forever, and proposing token actions around them forever. How does it help anyone's understanding to simply use new catchphrases like 'virtue signalling'?
If you think an issue isn't a real problem, just say so.
If you think the proposed action is just a token gesture, just say so.
Does virtue signalling mean token gesture or something else? What's wrong with token gesture? Maybe young people don't know what a token is.

Control the language .. control the debate ...

So virtue signaling is just a catch phrase .. like woke, it doesn't really exist ..

Interesting article… it is so hard to prioritise where you channel your focus these days. In reality there is too many good causes to invest your time/ worry/ energy…etc. We all choose to invest some of our time into our beloved footy team. some choose to prioritise their concerns on aspects of improving social justice etc, others choose different causes etc.. no one person or institution could possibly give every concern justice… it all simply comes down to choice.. I personally see footy as an escape from all this and would prefer if it the game could avoid politics as much as possible….maybe not a realistic expectation but each to their own…

Homosexuality is still illegal in the following countries ....

PNG, Cook Islands, Samoa, Tonga, or Lebanon.

Should Australia refuse to play any further tests against them ?
Rather than not play against them if only there was a way to highlight the need for inclusion….if only…

Rather than not play against them if only there was a way to highlight the need for inclusion….if only…

Can you tell me who is currently excluded from playing or supporting Rugby League ...

Can you tell me who is currently excluded from playing or supporting Rugby League ...
Here's a comment from ChatGPT (this is AI not me, lolol)

There are several reasons why some athletes may not come out as being gay. One reason is fear of discrimination and backlash from fans, coaches, and teammates. Many sports cultures have traditionally been considered to be very heteronormative, and some athletes may fear that their teammates, coaches, or fans will not accept them if they come out as gay.

Another reason is fear of losing sponsorships or opportunities. Many athletes rely on sponsorships to make a living, and they may be worried that sponsors will no longer want to work with them if they come out as gay. Additionally, some athletes may fear that they will not be selected for teams or given opportunities to compete if they come out as gay.

Additionally, some athletes may not have come out yet because they may not have the emotional support and resources they need to do so. In the past, those who came out in sport faced hostility and discrimination. While this has improved in recent years, it can still be difficult for athletes to come out.

Moreover, some athletes may still not be comfortable with their own sexuality and not ready to come out. Coming out is a personal process and takes time, some may not be ready to take that step yet.

It's important to remember that coming out is a personal decision, and every person has the right to make that decision on their own terms. With increased visibility and acceptance of LGBTQ+ people in sports, hopefully, more athletes will feel comfortable and supported in coming out.

It was in response to your comment about Pacifica nations where homosexuality it outlawed

Again if only there was a popular sport where an inclusive stance could be taken

Here's a comment from ChatGPT (this is AI not me, lolol)

There are several reasons why some athletes may not come out as being gay. One reason is fear of discrimination and backlash from fans, coaches, and teammates. Many sports cultures have traditionally been considered to be very heteronormative, and some athletes may fear that their teammates, coaches, or fans will not accept them if they come out as gay.

Another reason is fear of losing sponsorships or opportunities. Many athletes rely on sponsorships to make a living, and they may be worried that sponsors will no longer want to work with them if they come out as gay. Additionally, some athletes may fear that they will not be selected for teams or given opportunities to compete if they come out as gay.

Additionally, some athletes may not have come out yet because they may not have the emotional support and resources they need to do so. In the past, those who came out in sport faced hostility and discrimination. While this has improved in recent years, it can still be difficult for athletes to come out.

Moreover, some athletes may still not be comfortable with their own sexuality and not ready to come out. Coming out is a personal process and takes time, some may not be ready to take that step yet.

It's important to remember that coming out is a personal decision, and every person has the right to make that decision on their own terms. With increased visibility and acceptance of LGBTQ+ people in sports, hopefully, more athletes will feel comfortable and supported in coming out.

Thank you ... for confirming that Gays are already playing and are included ... now can you explain why you think "coming out" and being excluded is the same thing ..

Again if only there was a popular sport where an inclusive stance could be taken

Well Happy days ... here is a popular sport that has a well documented inclusive policy ..

The NRL supports Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Intersex (LGBTI) people and are vocal supporters of eliminating discrimination against LGBTI people both on and off the field.

Please download our LGBTI Fact Sheet for further information.

In fact a cursory look at just about all major sports shows that every single one of them has made a stance for inclusivity ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4