Kade Snowden Shoulder Charge

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Ralphie said:
So what you guys are saying is that if Snowden hat hit DCE like that and broken his jaw, you're sweet with that.

Since when was any hit in any way that is strong enough to break a blokes jaw Ok.

No, what we are saying is that it is a slippery slope once you start dealing out punishments based on the damage/injury they cause. What if Thompson doesn't break his jaw ?? Does Snowden get sent off ? I highly doubt it, but the hit is still the same. SBW on Mason, Richie on Harrison, Pritchard on Luke Goodwin on Friday.....they were all no worse than Snowdens yet none of them got marched.

Chip and Chase said:
Ralphie said:
So what you guys are saying is that if Snowden hat hit DCE like that and broken his jaw, you're sweet with that.

Since when was any hit in any way that is strong enough to break a blokes jaw Ok.

No, what we are saying is that it is a slippery slope once you start dealing out punishments based on the damage/injury they cause. What if Thompson doesn't break his jaw ?? Does Snowden get sent off ? I highly doubt it, but the hit is still the same. SBW on Mason, Richie on Harrison, Pritchard on Luke Goodwin on Friday.....they were all no worse than Snowdens yet none of them got marched.

But they do take account of the injury caused, it's a simple fact of life, like it or not. Snowden has now broken two jaws this season having broken Luke O'Dwyers jaw back in April and this is his third charge for contact with the head this season. I seriously don't get why people are defending this.

its all an absolute joke and a mess that the nrl are digging themselves further into. either it is outlawed or it isn't. how are players supposed to know. it is a lottery, depending on who you are, who you play for, who you decide to hit. maybe snowden thought oh well its only ray thompson the judiciary won't care, I am sure he would not have tried that on thurston, slater etc because he knew he would cope the penalty

The concept of taking account of injury caused is not new. If a bloke punches another bloke in a pub he is charged with assault, if he breaks the guys jaw it's assault occasioning grievous bodily harm. The second being a far more serious charge with far greater consequences. So in the laws eyes the same punch can be treated vastly different depending upon the damage done.

This is as it should be!

Chip and Chase said:
Ralphie said:

The Reynolds' hit was worse than all of them. He came charging out of the line and it was all intent.

simon64 said:
Chip and Chase said:
Ralphie said:

The Reynolds' hit was worse than all of them. He came charging out of the line and it was all intent.

Ok then, so who's jaw did he break?

This is pretty simple guy's, although I do agree it has been inconsistently policed.

A shoulder charge that was previously legitimate is intended to be a penalty and then move on.

A shoulder charge that hits the head of an opponent and doesn't cause injury will be penalised and put on report.

A shoulder charge that hits the head of an opponent and causes serious injury is likely to be sent off.

Ralphie said:
simon64 said:
Chip and Chase said:
Ralphie said:

Ok then, so who's jaw did he break?

This is pretty simple guy's, although I do agree it has been inconsistently policed.

A shoulder charge the was previously legitimate is intended to be a penalty and then move on.

A shoulder charge that hits the head of an opponent and doesn't cause injury will be penalised and put on report.

A shoulder charge that hits the head of an opponent and causes serious injury is likely to be sent off.

the above is only relevant for this game. next week will yet again be 'all change - spin the wheel - see what we come up with'

Ralphie said:
The concept of taking account of injury caused is not new. If a bloke punches another bloke in a pub he is charged with assault, if he breaks the guys jaw it's assault occasioning grievous bodily harm. The second being a far more serious charge with far greater consequences. So in the laws eyes the same punch can be treated vastly different depending upon the damage done.

This is as it should be!

In matters of common law I agree with you whole heartedly. But the NRL judiciary is not the common law courts. Their charges are based on gradings and prior records, nothing to do with the outcome of their actions. You can throw half a dozen swinging arms around in a game and if none of them connect, despite a whole truckload of intent on your part, then there is no penalty/charge.

I'm not defending Snowden, maybe he should have been sent off. What I don't understand is the other 4 or 5 shoulder charges of equal severity that didn't result in marching orders. Where is the consistency ?

Interesting how we see it differently. It was a send off in my opinion and 8 weeks is what he deserves.

I reckon the 50/50 call was Matai getting 10 in the bin. I'm Ok if they do it, just do it more often - many times there's been worse and no Sin Bin.

"Newcastle forward Kade Snowden is facing a nine-match ban after he was charged with a Grade 4 Shoulder Charge by the NRL match review committee on Monday."

At least the NRL have got this one right.

Ralphie said:
"Newcastle forward Kade Snowden is facing a nine-match ban after he was charged with a Grade 4 Shoulder Charge by the NRL match review committee on Monday."

At least the NRL have got this one right.

@Ralphie I stand corrected, apparently they do take into account the consequences of the act of foul play if the following extract from the SMH is right

While Canterbury forward Frank Pritchard - one of three Bulldogs players set to come under scrutiny by the match review committee - also contacted the chin of South Sydney's Bryson Goodwin with his shoulder, the severity of any injury is also taken into account when grading an offence.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/jawbreaker-snowden-faces-long-ban-20130825-2sjxo.html#ixzz2d2xdbh1D

I didn't realise that was the case.

Injury shouldn't be a factor. If choc did his knee last week and required a reco should Lima then get 12 months? What happens if Choc injured it yesterday and because of damage caused the week before, he knee gave way. Should Lima's suspension then be increased?

I can't fathom the Snowden suspension, comparing it to SBW who launched in Mason like a missle and on the footage Snowden doesn't seem to be doing more than bracing for impact. Its ridiculous that all he needed to do was hang his arm a few centremetres away from his body and the charge would have been very different.

I've always been of the opinion if the player is damaged and is out for x weeks, then the player doing the damage should be out for the same amount of time (injuries to Inglis the exception), and should not play against the team affected the next time they meet.

1150279_594799667227947_1907120178_n.jpg

Doesn't really look like a 9 weeker to me.

Nice to know that Snowdens brace/shoulder charge is 3 times worse than O'Donnells tackle that could have easily put Simona in a wheelchair

Kiwi Eagle said:

Nice to know that Snowdens brace/shoulder charge is 3 times worse than O'Donnells tackle that could have easily put Simona in a wheelchair

yeah, the nrl have their priorities right, don't they.

Kiwi Eagle said:

I agree with you, the NRL got the O'Donnell charge wrong, but at least they got this one right.

I'm puzzled as to why no sanction has been spoken of for Thurston? He has been very vocal about a matter that is on report, based on the posturing of Greenberg last week I thought this was a no-no

Snowden has a 40% loading, so its a 650 point uncontested charge - the other 3 weeks are the loading.

Don't know why that Grub wasn't given a week as well, to contemplate the future :mad:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4