Just on Tom Wright

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
No one can deny Tom Wright has exceptional talents in attack - step, speed, agility....
His defence seemed to lack commitment and his organisational skills were a bit frantic lacking patience.
The main issue I found was lack of involvement - yes just a kid - but still expected to see him more involved.
When a freakish X factor player comes along and falls short, I always question....WHY ??
If Des or say a Bellamy was at the helm and giving the kid different direction, could he have lived up to the early hype??
Also not just blaming Barrett, as this club has been a rabble in recent times, so for a youngster it can't help where there is poor stability to start your journey...
Just opinions here - if he came through our system in say 2008 - 2013 would Wright have found more success in Rugby League??

Would have definitely liked to have seen him given an opportunity as a i st choice winger just after mid season when the side's finals hopes were all but dashed . Didn "t seem that comfortable as a 5 / 8 with general reads in attack and defence . Needed room to move as a centre which is hardly prevalent in N R L i st grade . was never going to displace Tom as the full back . Again does seem disappointing that he was not given a regular opportunity to see how he may have gone as a run on winger . May or may not have made a good fist of it but unfortunately in the foreseeable future at least this will remain an unknown .

He's gone, let it go. Look at him compared to someone like Ponga, Brimson, or even our own Tommy Turbo. That's what making the most of your given talents and opportunities looks like.

Kid was given 3 years to take the step from age superstar to Nrl player .... he failed .... but so do about 95% of them .....

I have said many times that I suspected he lacked the mental maturity and mental grit req'd to grind out 80mins at first grade level .... and I stick with that opinion.

I think he is ideally suited to a spectacular career as a Rugby 7's star ...... and wish him all success ......

To suggest coaching is to blame is just nonsense, Fainu, Turbo, Jake, Kelly, Lane, AFB, Kelepi are all young blokes who progressed over the past seveal seasons ...... A coach ain't the kids mother ...... the kid has either got it and forces his way in ... or he hasn't ....

He's gone, let it go. Look at him compared to someone like Ponga, Brimson, or even our own Tommy Turbo. That's what making the most of your given talents and opportunities looks like.
Let it go a few weeks back, but keen to see if other Silvertails felt he was good enough and simply not used right, poor environment ect..
More after opinions on the value of coming through a system and the coaching at that time - can it make or break a player.
Your answer shows your opinion that you feel he was simply not up to it - which is fair enough.

Still do not think that he got a decent opportunity and particularly when Uate was unavailable and one wing spot was open . With the season virtually gone by that stage and then only Parker and Matt Wright filling the breach then , again could not really see the logic of not giving Tom Wright a go there . What was there to essentially lose at that stage then , he certainly would not have lacked genuine pace there , in comparison to Matt Wright and Parker for instance and may nave even gone quite well there .

Yes yes yes and yes.

Barrett killed the kids chances just like he's killed DCE's flair and play.

Look at the facts ..
Barrett could not bring out the best in an elite player like DCE let a lone a rookie like Tom

Look at the facts
Barrett fcked the whole playing squad
15 Sea Eagles 24 7 0 17 -122 16
16 Eels ----------24 6 0 18 -176 14

No idea , Not a fcking clue

download.jpg

Last edited:
Kid was given 3 years to take the step from age superstar to Nrl player .... he failed .... but so do about 95% of them .....

I have said many times that I suspected he lacked the mental maturity and mental grit req'd to grind out 80mins at first grade level .... and I stick with that opinion.

I think he is ideally suited to a spectacular career as a Rugby 7's star ...... and wish him all success ......

To suggest coaching is to blame is just nonsense, Fainu, Turbo, Jake, Kelly, Lane, AFB, Kelepi are all young blokes who progressed over the past seveal seasons ...... A coach ain't the kids mother ...... the kid has either got it and forces his way in ... or he hasn't ....
Some people have it in them, some don't. I believe he had enough time to make his mark at the club despite who the coach is. When opportunity arises you need to grab it with both hands and squeeze every last drop out the sponge. Unfortunatelu he didnt. That's what separates the great from the rest. I dont even think he will make the cut as a full timer wallaby. That's just my opinion though

Seeing is believing
Trents players performance on the field and their reaction on the press conference was for all to see .
No idea , LOL
View attachment 9908

Ok ... you are 100% correct .... in 20 years time when Tom Wright is one of 1000's of blokes telling anyone that will listen in the public bars around Australia that " I could have played first grade.. if only I had a good coach" .... you will be the only one to believe him ...

Ok ... you are 100% correct .... in 20 years time when Tom Wright is one of 1000's of blokes telling anyone that will listen in the public bars around Australia that " I could have played first grade.. if only I had a good coach" .... you will be the only one to believe him ...
I am 300% correct and the facts back me up that Trent under achieved to lift our team as a whole and as individuals

Not directing this at you Maxta but there have been a number of misconceptions about Tom Wright, the biggest being the potential he apparently possesses. He was never the big star junior recruit that people think he was. He was a rugby 7's "stab in the dark" "see how we go" risk that Manly took at very little cost, in spite of what has reported "lucrative"...he was in NYC at the time.

He was never touted as our saviour by the club, nor was he a particular favourite of his coaches. He was just another young footballer hoping to make it. There were times when he was lucky not to be dropped in NYC for brain snaps like grubbering for himself in his own in goal.

He only played FG because of one of the most horrendous injury tolls and a range of salary cap bungles. He had no organisational skills or a kicking game to speak of. He pulled a rabbit out of hat against Saints in Wollongong and the casual footy fan thought, geez this kid can play, but that's ignoring the glaring deficencies in his game.

He wasn't poorly utilised, he was lucky to get a game at all and he won't be missed. The only people that thought he might be any good were desperate fans hoping for some magic in the wake of Hodkinson signing.

The club were never that confident in him and are hardly devastated by his departure.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2