Just on Tom Wright

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I am 300% correct and the facts back me up that Trent under achieved to lift our team as a whole and as individuals

That'll do me ...... I don't think you have any idea whatsoever of the topic we are discussing ....... everytime I try to engage with you in debate .... you again convince me that there are no limits to stupidity .....

That'll do me ...... I don't think you have any idea whatsoever of the topic we are discussing ....... everytime I try to engage with you in debate .... you again convince me that there are no limits to stupidity .....
You sound like you are wearing your kilt again today

His application to the team was just not there. In the last game he played, on 2 separate occasions he had an opportunity to chase a player that made a break and he just stood there.

He was never TGWH.

Hope he goes well back in Rugby.

I am 300% correct and the facts back me up that Trent under achieved to lift our team as a whole and as individuals

I'm not interested in getting into a long debate about this mate, but there are a fair few players that are the opposite to what you are suggesting

AFB - Debuted under Barrett and is now playing test footy and excelling at NRL level

Taupau - Has gone from being a good NRL player to one of the best props in the game

Lane - Stuck in reserve grade at Dogs/Warriors, just had a full NRL season at a good level

Api - not a regular first grader elsewhere, to getting mentioned as an Origin candidate this season

There are more examples but I'm not going to go through them all

You can't coach desire, that comes from within, and Wright never convinced me he had any in what I saw of him
Disagree . This is where affective motivation comes from a quality coach .
The fact is some coaches can lift their players and some cannot
We have seen teams down by 20 in the first half and after a half time motivational spray from their coach the players come out with a vengeance .
We have seen some players linger in the lower grades at one club and a change of coach in another club makes them a changed player .
We have seen many games our team lose this year by being out enthused by the opposition .
It was evident that Trent could not lift his team .

Not directing this at you Maxta but there have been a number of misconceptions about Tom Wright, the biggest being the potential he apparently possesses. He was never the big star junior recruit that people think he was. He was a rugby 7's "stab in the dark" "see how we go" risk that Manly took at very little cost, in spite of what has reported "lucrative"...he was in NYC at the time.

He was never touted as our saviour by the club, nor was he a particular favourite of his coaches. He was just another young footballer hoping to make it. There were times when he was lucky not to be dropped in NYC for brain snaps like grubbering for himself in his own in goal.

He only played FG because of one of the most horrendous injury tolls and a range of salary cap bungles. He had no organisational skills or a kicking game to speak of. He pulled a rabbit out of hat against Saints in Wollongong and the casual footy fan thought, geez this kid can play, but that's ignoring the glaring deficencies in his game.

He wasn't poorly utilised, he was lucky to get a game at all and he won't be missed. The only people that thought he might be any good were desperate fans hoping for some magic in the wake of Hodkinson signing.

The club were never that confident in him and are hardly devastated by his departure.
No offence taken Snake my good man, I personally feel he had some exciting qualities as an X factor style player, who could make something out of nothing....lacked control of a game, so his 5/8 option was not a great option - more an outside back.....if you want my take I was not devastated, but I do 100% think a kid in that environment makes it a tougher gig than at a stable club.
From what I seen of this youngster, he would be ideal with unlimited bench space to bring on with 5 minutes to go with your side down by 2-6 points with nothing to lose.
Your summary is very, very close to my opinion - I just see the overall debacle Manly have become, compared to that solid home base in successful years, which were far more player friendly to ensure those with talent had quality nurturing....

I'm not interested in getting into a long debate about this mate, but there are a fair few players that are the opposite to what you are suggesting

AFB - Debuted under Barrett and is now playing test footy and excelling at NRL level

Taupau - Has gone from being a good NRL player to one of the best props in the game

Lane - Stuck in reserve grade at Dogs/Warriors, just had a full NRL season at a good level

Api - not a regular first grader elsewhere, to getting mentioned as an Origin candidate this season

There are more examples but I'm not going to go through them all
Thanks for your reply and this is what I strongly believe
Taupau was a proven international
Api was a proven grand final winning hooker with Souths
AFB was always a player with ability and I believe will improve under a better quality coach
Lane was always a player with ability but had his issues .
The moral of my story is Trent proved incompetent as a coach and all those players will improve their game by a better quality coach
I strongly believe that Trent is the worst coach in the history of our club and his results speak louder than my words

Thanks for your reply and this is what I strongly believe
Taupau was a proven international
Api was a proven grand final winning hooker with Souths
AFB was always a player with ability and I believe will improve under a better quality coach
Lane was always a player with ability but had his issues .
The moral of my story is Trent proved incompetent as a coach and all those players will improve their game by a better quality coach
I strongly believe that Trent is the worst coach in the history of our club and his results speak louder than my words

You're the king of the long bow mate lol, Api did play in that grand final because Luke was suspended but he was far from proven

I'm still on the fence a bit with Barrett, mainly because I thought in 2017 we performed well above expectations, and there were plenty of good signs about a lot of things in the club at that point, but all in all due to a lot of circumstances, some out of Barrett's control, we didn't capitalise on those gains this season

Where we will agree is that we are both happy to see Dessie behind the clipboard next season

Disagree . This is where affective motivation comes from a quality coach .
The fact is some coaches can lift their players and some cannot
We have seen teams down by 20 in the first half and after a half time motivational spray from their coach the players come out with a vengeance .
We have seen some players linger in the lower grades at one club and a change of coach in another club makes them a changed player .
We have seen many games our team lose this year by being out enthused by the opposition .
It was evident that Trent could not lift his team .

For me, a rookie shouldn't need to be motivated in his first few games by a coach to turn around and chase a break, that is an indicator of a poor attitude and desire. Quite rightly Barrett got the hook out and he was yanked after the lack of effort, and again I think taking the easy option of going back to rugby showed a lack of application and desire

People respond differently to different environments. We know that there has been more of a drinking/party culture develop within the playing group over the last 2 years and we know that Trent was essentially friends with a lot of the playing group. All this would have had an impact on TGWH's development and work ethic at the club. If your lazy and like to party and your boss is the same well you probably won't develop much but if your extremely driven to succeeded and think your boss spends to much time working on his hair compared to actual work then this could give you motivation to work harder (to get a job elsewhere?). Then again having a coach who pushes everyone too far and bans all fun could be detrimental to the mindset of players, I'm sure we have all had at least one dick boss that makes it almost impossible to get out of bed in the morning.
Football teams will always have a variety of personality types and I don't think there is a team out there would work for everyone. Manly's environment is probably on the lower end of the scale but unless you're a psychologist with in depth and detailed background on the day to day details of TWright's time at Manly I don't think any of us can truly comment on how he may have developed under someone else.

For me, a rookie shouldn't need to be motivated in his first few games by a coach to turn around and chase a break, that is an indicator of a poor attitude and desire. Quite rightly Barrett got the hook out and he was yanked after the lack of effort, and again I think taking the easy option of going back to rugby showed a lack of application and desire
That's a great point. It is a very soft/easy path for him to go back to the last place he had success (in another code) rather than attempting to build his career in the NRL with other clubs.

You're the king of the long bow mate lol, Api did play in that grand final because Luke was suspended but he was far from proven

I'm still on the fence a bit with Barrett, mainly because I thought in 2017 we performed well above expectations, and there were plenty of good signs about a lot of things in the club at that point, but all in all due to a lot of circumstances, some out of Barrett's control, we didn't capitalise on those gains this season

Where we will agree is that we are both happy to see Dessie behind the clipboard next season
King of the long bow lol . Thats funny !
The fact is Api proved that he could handle himself at the pressure of Grand final footy and in that grand final win proved that he was a quality player .
Good Players prove them selves at the highest level
I am also excited as you and most that Des is back . As for Trent , I have no respect for losers

King of the long bow lol . Thats funny !
The fact is Api proved that he could handle himself at the pressure of Grand final footy and in that grand final win proved that he was a quality player .
Good Players prove them selves at the highest level
I am also excited as you and most that Des is back . As for Trent , I have no respect for losers
So players are either quality or not, and based on how well they perform at the top level is the key indicator of this.
Yet, T Wright failed to prove himself at a lower level and it's management's fault.....@Bozo your superior intellect / mental instability must be confusing me again :drunk:

So players are either quality or not, and based on how well they perform at the top level is the key indicator of this.
Yet, T Wright failed to prove himself at a lower level and it's management's fault.....@Bozo your superior intellect / mental instability must be confusing me again :drunk:
Trent not only failed Tom he also failed the whole team and one does not need superior intellect to have seen that ;)

The great failure of Barretts team is their unwillingness to blood new players unless they absolutely had to and stacking our top 30 with has beens rather than kids who could have been blooded.

It was obvious after 7 rounds of this season that we would really struggle to make the finals and Barrett stuck with the tried and failing instead of injecting in the new blood the team needed.

I wish Tom Wright all the best because I was one of the lucky ones to see him play in the miracle Holden cup winning team in 2017 and he was a big reason why that team won.

Our failure to retain juniors is one of the roots of our current demise, the failure to take advantage of the 2015 and 2017 Holden Cup teams has put us behind. If you look at the current Panthers team that made the finals, the nucleus of their winning 2015 team is now their first grade team and we only have Tommy Turbo from that year in our first team.

As a club we must do better with our junior management especially with the salary cap penalties we are now stuck with!

Octagon time!
I agree that both the management and coaching staff at Manly have been disappointing this season and that they may have even had a negative impact on player performance, and I can understand that fans may be frustrated that this could be the case.
BUT, I still have no idea why so many on here are head over heals in love with "the Wright that got away?". Does he have an amazing Instagram page? Is he good in bed? Or do you have a magic crystal ball that shows you an alternative reality where he has already led Manly to 8 premierships and cured cancer?
If you want to get excited about developing players look no further than Amone, someone who truly developed and took his opportunities in NSW cup last year and has been rewarded for it.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8