Just a thought!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Bloke on the hill

Reserve Grader
I'd like to see a penalty against a player who fakes an injury.
It annoys me when a player fakes a crusher tackle (for example) then does that hand up waving motion to attract the refs attention & whinges, is awarded a penalty for it, then he get's up/walks away smiling & laughing etc.
It would be hard to determine who's faking it of course, so make it that if they want to keep on playing in that game, then it's a penalty.

BTW Gutho is good at it.

It annoys me when a player fakes a crusher tackle (for example) then does that hand up waving motion to attract the refs attention & whinges, is awarded a penalty for it, then he get's up/walks away smiling & laughing etc.
It would be hard to determine who's faking it of course, so make it that if they want to keep on playing in that game, then it's a penalty.

BTW Gutho is good at it.
Even better, instead of blowing his whistle like Pavlov’s dog in reaction to a player faking a head injury/crusher tackle, why not let the video ref review & advise on it?

Seemed last night the ref blew a penalty as soon as the Parra player raised his hand to the top of his head.

BTW Gutho is good at it.
I reckon fake injuries would reduce if they were to be taken off for 5 minutes, but isn't allowed to be replaced. They'll need to play a man down until he comes back on.

BTW Gutho is good at it.

It's called embellishment in (ice) hockey.

And it can be called even if the opposition player does foul you.

eg: If a player 'high sticks' you and you plunge to the ice like a soccer player....the ref will give you both 2 mins in the penalty box.

The problem with trying to fix it footy style is:
1) those in charge always claim that they aren't doctors so better to err on the side of caution, and
2) coaches, etc do not want a 5 mins sin bin system as they believe the refs would use it more = less players on the field. They know 10 mins is used sparingly and are fine with that. (My opinion but coaches always come out and say no to the 5 mins when asked).

Eventually those in charge just quote the old "hate speeding fines, don't speed" line of 'don't put yourself in that position, then the refs can't ping you for a crusher tackle.' - Of course, footy isn't played in slow motion so this isn't always an accomplishable solution.

And yes, I hate the divers and the fact refs always buy into it.

The crusher tackle rule is troubling as it looks to me like many divers are exploiting it. Never fails to surprise me how players suddenly and instantly recover when the penalty is awarded. Maybe a similar approach as applied to head knocks might be sufficient deterrence.

The crusher tackle rule is troubling as it looks to me like many divers are exploiting it. Never fails to surprise me how players suddenly and instantly recover when the penalty is awarded. Maybe a similar approach as applied to head knocks might be sufficient deterrence.
I remember faking crusher tackles was rampant a couple of years ago & the NRL stamped it out but it’s starting to creep back in.

IMO, if a potential neck injury is serious enough to blow a penalty for, then the injured player surely needs to go off to be checked for damage, no? Similar to head knocks, continuing to play could potentially only exacerbate the injury.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4