Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Josh Aloiai

simon64

Premium Member
2019 Tipping Competitor
I have 20 years to go on my mortgage. For my mental health it would be better for me to move to a beachfront house in 2021. So I am going to just move, and the current mortgage can just go **** itself.
Sounds pretty reasonable to me Shoe.
I'd be happy with a little place in Avalon.
But you should hear the barrage of abuse when people find me sleeping on their lounges.

Eagle of London

Premium Member
I'll be sorry of Aloiai doesn't come cause think he's a decent replacement BUT I kind of admire the Wests Tigers board for not rolling over as easily as we did. That's the way to stop it.
I dont think we rolled over at all. The only reason we let him go is because we wanted to.
I think the powers that be saw something inherently wrong with the player in question whether that be personal, relationship to the playing group or perhaps AFB as good as he was in the old pre covid game may struggle in the new faster game.
Hes a bloody big unit that doesn't run that fast. Backs up and ambles to make all those extra meters and once on the ground takes forever to play the ball often having a whinge at the ref on the way up.
He obviously has talent and may go great at a new club but after the restart he wasn't as dangerous as he was pre covid break.

Highflier

Like a lot of things wrong with Rugba league the genisys of this problem coincides with the growth of player agent power which has flourished under guess who,,,, surprise surprise Z grade CEO Greenturd.To the point that one of those agents so infested and corrupted numurous clubs all under the dopey gaze of that brown noser that he ended up being banished from clubs and is still the subject of a serious enquiry
They feed these young players with what they r worth and what they can get on the other side of the fence, that along with the mercenary and entitled attitude of the players and the ruthless practises of the clubs e. g Roosters and Flanagan makes for a difficult situation to control
Maybe the solution is to make the club a place where players want to play at
Not want to leave, sadly for the tigers that's where they sit.
But on the other hand one rotten apple,,,,,,,

robbiea

Super Coach Member
Yes its a business. The business is a machine where all the bits need to work together in harmony. One bad bit and the machine runs rough.

You don't keep bad stock on the books regardless of how good they are. One bad position can destabilise the entire corporate structure from within.
True that may be ,but it has nothing to do with not getting a good deal in return on his departure.

Last edited:

Manly Tragic

Tragic
There’s a fair bit of hypocrapcy coming from the clubs. They don’t mind tapping a player on the shoulder and saying your are no longer in our plans but don’t like it when the player asks to be released. For instance Penrith telling Mansour he’ll be playing reserve grade next year so you are well to get lost. Or the tigers shopping Packer and Reynolds around. The clubs then wonder why players don’t have loyalty and chase more money elsewhere and blame the player managers.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
In theory what you are saying is correct but if you boil it all down, it's a case of the players looking after themselves and the club looking after themselves. Take Kyle Flanagan for example. He is gutted to be cut by the Chooks. He could stay and be paid next year but the Chooks basically said (a) we don't want you and (b) if you stay, everyone here is gonna pissed off at you for hanging around and taking up cap space. So the reality is the clubs ramrod the players when it suits them and usually get their way.
Yes, what you say is true .. but as much as Flannigan's dignity was hurt ... he was never in danger of having his contract forcefully broken ... coach's, CEO's trainers, accountants and all manner of employee's in all industries are paid out of contracts or moved sideways if their performance is no longer up to scratch or their employers are "moving" in a different direction ... it is a common and normal part of human resources and commercial transaction ...

It still remains different from a player, by his actions, forcing a club to let him "break" his contract .

Can not say clubs who tell contracted players they are likely not to be playing FG the next year unless it involves a mutually agreed form issue have much regard for probity either. The same applies to clubs happy to benefit ( like the tigers) from a player say like Addo Carr breaking their related contract with their respective club so they can join them earlier.
Not sure the warriors applied a strict probity policy when they approached Founa Blake either.
Ado Carr asked and was given permission to negotiate with other clubs ... to my knowledge there was no demand to be released or attempt to force a contract to be broken ..

AFB to my knowledge also asked to be released and there was no mention of a demand or attempt to force a contract to be broken ...

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Hmmmm yes and no

A player kicking stones is indeed forcing a club into an untenable situation.

But a club like Penrith threatening Mansour with reserve grade is also putting him in an untenable situation where his future earning potential and indeed career is threatened.

I'm with you though that it is a ****e state of affairs.
Yeah, being tapped on the shoulder would hurt Mansour ... but time and youth coming through the ranks wait for no man ... but one man's untenable situation is another's tough love ... by telling Mansour early enough he is at least being given the opportunity of seeking a new deal somewhere else (ESL) for a couple of seasons ... with young Staines and others at the club it can't be a big surprise to Mansour ... and of course my main point ... Mansour is still guaranteed to be paid his full contract even in reggies ..

Kevinward777

A mate of mine recently gave his employer four weeks notice that he was taking up a similar position with a competitor. The reason he decided to jump ship-they offered him an annual package which was 30k more than what he was presently on.

His employer let him go immediately to take up the position with their competitor.

Ben

A mate of mine recently gave his employer four weeks notice that he was taking up a similar position with a competitor. The reason he decided to jump ship-they offered him an annual package which was 30k more than what he was presently on.

His employer let him go immediately to take up the position with their competitor.
Was your mate under contract? That would be the difference.

Kevinward777

Was your mate under contract? That would be the difference.
No, but there are so many instances in the "normal" world where people break their contracts. In high end sales it is outrageously common. There are always ways to wrangle out of a contract. Employers are faced with either matching the competitors offer, or having a disgruntled employee on hand.

Almost every person alive would find it hard to knock back being paid more for doing the same job. Nothing new under the sun....

Red Pill

Optimist & Troll Inquisitor
Yes, what you say is true .. but as much as Flannigan's dignity was hurt ... he was never in danger of having his contract forcefully broken ... coach's, CEO's trainers, accountants and all manner of employee's in all industries are paid out of contracts or moved sideways if their performance is no longer up to scratch or their employers are "moving" in a different direction ... it is a common and normal part of human resources and commercial transaction ...

It still remains different from a player, by his actions, forcing a club to let him "break" his contract .

Ado Carr asked and was given permission to negotiate with other clubs ... to my knowledge there was no demand to be released or attempt to force a contract to be broken ..

AFB to my knowledge also asked to be released and there was no mention of a demand or attempt to force a contract to be broken ...
Technically in regards to Ado Carr you are right. The storm technically said no., thus the current situation. I.e. Addo Carr asks for permission to negotiate with other clubs ( aka permission to break contract) Storm say well yes provided it is worth while to us knowing that it will be an unlikely event. Addo Carr ends up apparently staying next year but with the benefit of a out of contract pay rise ( most likely the main objective) I still don’t see this as an example of probity by either the clubs or player ( players manager). Tigers hoping to benefit from Addo Carr being able to break his contract. This is not probity. If the tigers are so morally precious about integrity they would refuse to negotiate with players trying to break their contract ( unless it was really for genuine personal reasons) not just get precious about it when it is not in alignment with their objectives.
In regards to AFB i strongly suspect he was better coached by his manager ( in comparison to Aloiai) on how to ask for his release ( break his contract) knowing that the warriors were waiting the wings) the speed in which their offer and subsequent deal was done is testament to this. It would be naive to believe IMO that warriors were not in on this.

Latest posts

2020 Ladder

Team P W D L PD Pts
1 Panthers 20 18 1 1 299 37
2 Storm 20 16 0 4 258 32
3 Eels 20 15 0 5 104 30
4 Roosters 20 14 0 6 230 28
5 Raiders 20 14 0 6 128 28
6 Rabbitohs 20 12 0 8 169 24
7 Knights 20 11 1 8 47 23
8 Sharks 20 10 0 10 0 20
9 Titans 20 9 0 11 -117 18