Josh Aloiai re-signs until 2025

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
This issue is no longer an MWSE issue. It's also well beyond an issue that the NRL can deal with singlehandedly. I believe the problem can only be dealt with appropriately through changes in legislation at both State and Federal Government levels.

In NSW, potential changes to the Anti-Discrimination Act, similar to the Discrimination Amendment Bill in the ACT, would allow players, clubs, and other interested stakeholders to have their say on any proposed reforms. Any changes would promote equal opportunity, respect for diversity, and social inclusion in the community, including recreational and professional sports. Once legislated, all parties would be bound to adhere to any changes in the legislation.

In the ACT, the Bill makes amendments to:

1. Expand the coverage of the Discrimination Act to more areas of public life,
2. Refine exceptions to unlawful discrimination, and
3. Introduce a positive duty to eliminate discrimination.

We already have anti discrimiation laws ... it is unlawful to descriminate against someone becuase of their sexual orientation ... just as it is unlawful to discriminate against someone for their religious beliefs.

And by no definition of the word .. is choosing not to wear a T-shirt discrimination.

Hey budgie … I thought the sabbath was a Sunday. My old man was very religious and wouldn’t let us work on sundays. Which was a bit of a bugger since Sunday was the best penalty rates. Anyway The 10 commandments said keep holy the sabbath… that’s why we had to go to church on Sunday… not Saturday!
That was the weird thing about the piece - that the Sabbath is a Saturday.
I think Saturday is observed as the Holy Day in Judaism?

Hey budgie … I thought the sabbath was a Sunday. My old man was very religious and wouldn’t let us work on sundays. Which was a bit of a bugger since Sunday was the best penalty rates. Anyway The 10 commandments said keep holy the sabbath… that’s why we had to go to church on Sunday… not Saturday!
The first day of the week is Sunday, the seventh is Saturday.

While I'm not Catholic, here is their view of it - if you want to get into their theology of it: Worship on Saturday or Sunday?

There are of course many more views on this. Probably a topic for the General Discussion forum really.

I agree. I actually had a good conversation with Michelle Taupau (I mentioned this at the time but without using her name because Marty was still at the club) about all this. She has done a whole bunch of stuff around education and promotion with the NRL and she believed the intention was 100% right and the execution 100% wrong. She thought that it should be a whole of NRL venture but would require lots and lots of education and consultation to get everyone on board which she thought was entirely possible with time and correct handling. She'd actually begun discussions with them.
Thank you very much for sharing 🙏

Yes, I think education is the key and should be enacted in a thoughtful timely manner by the NRL.

And by no definition of the word .. is choosing not to wear a T-shirt discrimination.
Ya think?
OK. So imagine I’m fatter than a sumo wrestler and I have a job in a pet store.
It’s the middle of winter and they insist I wear the tshirt for branding reasons.
I’m freezing and I look terrible in it. Rolls of fat everywhere. All a bit Sara Lee …. later upon layer upon layer.
The name of the store is Fat Budgie.
Do I have a case?

Corey Parker fires back at Josh Aloiai over pride jersey comments​

Rugby league has an explosive new feud – Brisbane Broncos legend Corey Parker versus Manly Sea Eagles prop Josh Aloiai.

Rugby league has an explosive new feud – Manly prop Josh Aloiai and Broncos legend Corey Parker.

One of Manly’s seven players who refused to wear the gay-pride jersey, Aloiai has slammed Parker as an “idiot” for criticising the ‘Rainbow Rebels’ who plunged the Sea Eagles into crisis with their stance on cultural grounds.
But Fox Sports commentator Parker has hit back at Aloiai, accusing him of being a hypocrite following revelations the Manly forward’s sister is gay.
“It’s crazy the way the media has blown this out of proportion,” Aloiai told Channel 9 on the gay-pride fiasco.
“For example ... Corey Parker, he said don’t pick and choose, he hammered us in the media, (saying) ‘You run out with your gambling sponsored jerseys’.
“I would love for him (Parker) to show me in the bible where it mentions gambling.
“It doesn’t, nor does it forbid alcohol in itself. He’s an idiot.”

Contacted by Sport Confidential, Parker stood by his original criticism, saying the actions of Manly’s infamous seven derailed their season.

“I saw the interview and Aloiai is entitled to his opinion,” he said.

“To be honest, he didn’t make sense.

“Since that day, those guys cost their club a chance to play semis and they got their head coach (Des Hasler) sacked, it’s all off the back of that (gay-pride issue).

“Some of his comments are contradictory. Like, he said his sister is gay. His own sister. He grew up in a household where his sibling was gay and he won’t wear the jersey ... what is that?

“How would she feel about his stance.

“It’s just garbage and now he is saying he will do it again next year. Do these guys not realise who pays the bills and who pays their wages?”

Ya think?
It’s the middle of winter and they insist I wear the tshirt for branding reasons.
I’m freezing and I look terrible in it. Rolls of fat everywhere. All a bit Sara Lee …. later upon layer upon layer.
Do I have a case?
More likely a heart attack.

Sorry, just being silly.

Ya think?
Do I have a case?

Good lord .. that took my head places I didn't want it to go ..

Was your main aversion to wearing the tshirt that it wasn't flattering and that it was cold? .. or was it the store logo on the front.

I doubt you would have a case for discrimination, however I would think you could mount a case for cruelty .. and failure to provide a safe working environment.

Maybe a real lawyer could come up with a host of other things.

But it begs the question ... did you know the name of the joint when you took the job?

We already have anti discrimiation laws ... it is unlawful to descriminate against someone becuase of their sexual orientation ... just as it is unlawful to discriminate against someone for their religious beliefs.

I don't think the current legislation goes far enough in relation to the specification of dress requirements in the workplace. There have been various cases in relation to uniform policies in schools, for example, but there are no easily found precedents in NSW workplaces.

Employers are permitted to specify dress requirements in the workplace if they do not discriminate against an individual. Arguably, wearing a Manly Jersey with multi-colored stripes instead of white stripes does not discriminate against the individual, particularly when the multi-colored stripes were designed to symbolise "Everyone in League" and not any particular group within the community as a whole.

There is nothing in the legislation that speaks directly to this unique situation. Therefore, I would argue the legislation requires amendment.

Last edited:

Was your main aversion to wearing the tshirt that it wasn't flattering and that it was cold? .. or was it the store logo on the front.

I doubt you would have a case for discrimination, however I would think you could mount a case for cruelty .. and failure to provide a safe working environment.

But it begs the question ... did you know the name of the joint when you took the job?
Perhaps the store was rebranded after @Budgie took the job?

I don't think the current legislation goes far enough in relation to the specification of dress requirements in the workplace. There have been various cases in relation to uniform policies in schools, for example, but there are no easily found precedents in NSW workplaces.

Employers are permitted to specify dress requirements in the workplace if they do not discriminate against an individual. Arguably, wearing a Manly Jersey with multi-colored stripes instead of white stripes does not discriminate against the individual, particularly when the multi-colored stripes were designed to symbolise "Everyone in League" and not any particular group within the community as a whole.

There is nothing in the legislation that speaks to this unique situation. Therefore, I would argue the legislation requires amendment.

You are not going to get any legislation that will compel an individual or group to wear something against their religious, racial, or sexual beliefs .... that is the entire reason for the anti-discrimination laws in the first place ...

You are not going to get any legislation that will compel an individual or group to wear something against their religious, racial, or sexual beliefs .... that is the entire reason for the anti-discrimination laws in the first place ...
I am not looking for the legislation to go that far. However, I also believe that unless we can get some more clarification, on what appears to be a very grey area, we are not going to find any resolution. In my mind, this situation it can't be left to the clubs or the NRL to sort it out. It will all end in tears yet again if that is the case.
Mate, I am going to drop out now ... Budgie is one of the few people on here I am scared shiite of .
Well played @Woodsie

Yes. I knew you’d ask!
I started working there in March when it was known as Rainbow Pets but complaints started to come that the puppies only ever came in variations of black, white, and brown - hardly a rainbow of choice.
So, in May, the owner changed it to Fat Budgie, even though he doesn’t sell birds and all animals are trim.
Who’d a thunk it!
😉🤣

Yes. I knew you’d ask!
I started working there in March when it was known as Rainbow Pets but complaints started to come that the puppies only ever came in variations of black, white, and brown - hardly a rainbow of choice.
So, in May, the owner changed it to Fat Budgie, even though he doesn’t sell birds and all animals are trim.
Who’d a thunk it!
😉🤣
Ok, so clearly I'm an ijit coz I thought you were just throwing out a hypothetical but now I don't know if it is a real scenario?? :confused:

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
9 6 3 57 14
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10