Jorge Taufua

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Got to disagree. TT runs the ball to the line and takes the tackle. I can't remember where he has run at pace broke the line or run 20 except when it is been a long kick deep and the team attacking don't have a defensive line in place.
Agree... been a long time since I've seen a great return from a kick by Tom... injecting himself into the line and chasing kicks are his real attacking attributes... and his defence is priceless nowadays...

I sadly agree with Jorge but I do think Walker is good (at centre) and Suli is not getting enough early ball to show anything - EVERY time he caught a pass tonight the defence were already on him... when he gets a chance to wind up he is dangerous
Agree, Suli has been playing injured with a sternum/ rib injury.

The other thing Suli does is hit the ball up early in our sets and provides a quick play the ball. He makes ground and bends the line, this is hard yards, if on that right side Garrick could make ground on kick returns this would lessen the load on Suli.

So many inside runs n that right edge makes it difficult to know if we have an overlap going through the hands, way to predictable the inside lines and they kill the numbers game.

Whatever advantage he makes with his power runs is completely nullified by one of three things.

1. The number of times he loses the ball (or stripped without detection) in crucial field position

2. The ridiculous skip adjustment he makes when playing the ball that sacrifices critical seconds. FFS, I learned at under 12s how to play a ball in one smooth action (even in those days where you did have to roll it back with legitimate contact with your foot)

3. Complete lack of air game (though in all honesty, he has been much better this year compared to some of the nightmarish performances of the past).

Yeah, I love Jorge as much as the next guy, and especially his cult-like quirks that endear him as they did with Wolf Man in the past. And who doesn't love his highlight reel of bell-ringers... but, FFS, the game demands wingers with certain attributes if you are going to be a real threat to the competition. Jorge lacks many of them.

Metres ran, discussion over

You mean all 60 he ran last night? Garrick, the alleged rag doll on the other wing, ran for 84. The weaker rag doll also had more post contact metres with 28 to 21.

When Naden ran for 80 metres after receiving a pass from Croker just before half time, where was Jorge? Back playing tiddlywinks on the Panther's 20. Once again he doesn't bother to chase because he knows he doesn't have anywhere near the pace (not exactly what you want in a winger ... a lack of pace).

Compare that to late in the game when Mansour made a break down our right. Reubs had gone in to tackle Crichton, yet turned and chased Mansour and nailed him 30 metres later. If that was Jorge's wing, Mansour would have been like a virgin on prom night ... gone.

For mine, when everyone is fit an available this year (whenever or if that will be.....), this would be my 17:

Turbo, Reubs, Scorpio, Walks, Suli, Cust, Cherry, AFB, Levi, Taupau, Thommo, Siro, Jake. Res (from) Croker, Keppie, Paseka, Waddell, Boyle, Gosiewski, Sipley.

I'd drop Jorge, move Garrick to the left, Suli to the right wing, Walks at right centre and have Cust as the first choice #6. Croker is only there as the back up dummy half, and I guess to cover the halves.

We saw in the first half tonight what can happen when Garrick is put into space on the wing. For once, thanks to Lone Hand Daly, the ball actually got out past Siro and even past Suli ... and low and behold Garrick's pace got him into the clear and really, it was only a good tackle by Aekins that actually stopped a try. Suli doesn't have that pace, but with his left hand fend he could be very dangerous out on the right (and tough to push into touch) while moving Garrick to the left would finally give Parker someone of pace that he can have confidence in to make a break.

I'm sorry but as much as I do actually like Jorge, he just doesn't have what it takes to be a first grade NRL winger any more. He is more of a liability than an asset.

Got to disagree. TT runs the ball to the line and takes the tackle. I can't remember where he has run at pace broke the line or run 20 except when it is been a long kick deep and the team attacking don't have a defensive line in place.
Bull****, he covers a lot of ground when returning the kick, doesn't break thru tackles - but 95% of the time most full backs don't. He still gains a lot of metres and defence still hold off him. He does stand up pretty quick playing the ball. He doesn't get rag dolled back and held down for an eternity is what I meant. He will also take the second play and run from dummy half. He is so quick out of there. I hink Suli needs to do that, come in and look for the ball and run from dummy half more

You mean all 60 he ran last night? Garrick, the alleged rag doll on the other wing, ran for 84. The weaker rag doll also had more post contact metres with 28 to 21.

When Naden ran for 80 metres after receiving a pass from Croker just before half time, where was Jorge? Back playing tiddlywinks on the Panther's 20. Once again he doesn't bother to chase because he knows he doesn't have anywhere near the pace (not exactly what you want in a winger ... a lack of pace).

Compare that to late in the game when Mansour made a break down our right. Reubs had gone in to tackle Crichton, yet turned and chased Mansour and nailed him 30 metres later. If that was Jorge's wing, Mansour would have been like a virgin on prom night ... gone.

For mine, when everyone is fit an available this year (whenever or if that will be.....), this would be my 17:

Turbo, Reubs, Scorpio, Walks, Suli, Cust, Cherry, AFB, Levi, Taupau, Thommo, Siro, Jake. Res (from) Croker, Keppie, Paseka, Waddell, Boyle, Gosiewski, Sipley.

I'd drop Jorge, move Garrick to the left, Suli to the right wing, Walks at right centre and have Cust as the first choice #6. Croker is only there as the back up dummy half, and I guess to cover the halves.

We saw in the first half tonight what can happen when Garrick is put into space on the wing. For once, thanks to Lone Hand Daly, the ball actually got out past Siro and even past Suli ... and low and behold Garrick's pace got him into the clear and really, it was only a good tackle by Aekins that actually stopped a try. Suli doesn't have that pace, but with his left hand fend he could be very dangerous out on the right (and tough to push into touch) while moving Garrick to the left would finally give Parker someone of pace that he can have confidence in to make a break.

I'm sorry but as much as I do actually like Jorge, he just doesn't have what it takes to be a first grade NRL winger any more. He is more of a liability than an asset.
So judge him for one game in what near 200?

I personally dont think Jorge is playing badly but I look at wingers like Tupou, Coates, Saab, Pereira and Katoa and it just makes me want that youth and athleticism for our edges (I realise Tupou is not young)... I do think Garrick is fast and capable and kicks well so he stays - but he needs to get less vertical when returning the ball...

Wouldn't have got a game for any other club for last 3-5 years he is slow and has hands like feet.
Every season I think this is it we will get rid of him and add some speed out wide but nope we keep serving him up.

• Early kick behind Jorge
  • Bomb to Jorge
  • Run block play to Jorge
  • Throw a cutout over Jorge

Opposition coaches must love playing us with this tip sheet.

His lack of mobility and general defensive laziness (other than when he puts on an occasional hit) makes it perfect to put in a kick behind him because his turn and chase is almost non-existent at times. And without a fullback like Turbo out there to cover.....

And I hate to say it but I was asking 4-5 years ago why opposition coaches didn't get their halves to constantly bomb Jorge's wing. Yes I'll admit that for the most part he's generally been safer under high balls in recent past, but there was a time he couldn't catch a cold hanging around the doctors office in the middle of July with every other patient coughing their lungs up, let alone a bomb.

And please don't get me started again about his lack of pace for a winger. I'd almost back Marty Bella in his heyday to beat Jorge in a foot race. And Marty had two speeds ... slow and slower.

Just on Jorge v Bella....I've never seen Jorgey boy play the ball whilst facing his own goal-line, and I do remember big Marty doing that once.

Jorge 1
Bella 0

I personally dont think Jorge is playing badly but I look at wingers like Tupou, Coates, Saab, Pereira and Katoa and it just makes me want that youth and athleticism for our edges (I realise Tupou is not young)... I do think Garrick is fast and capable and kicks well so he stays - but he needs to get less vertical when returning the ball...
Garrick makes -10 metres post contact per run, tasty pick

Garrick makes -10 metres post contact per run, tasty pick
Well his stats say otherwise but that pretty much the point I was making about being too vertical...
Garrick is fast, is a good finisher and kicks goals... They are pretty good fundamentals for a winger CP...

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2