Jordan McLean hearing.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
jbb/james said:
I think he got of lightly. I admit that in this case Mclean was also a victim but it was a rehearsed manoeuver that has cost a kid. I think The NRL are the main culprits in this ending in such a way . But i also blame the coaches and the players also who constantly milk penalties and lash out as if someone is ripping their toe off. While its easy to say everyone does it, its part of the game, not everyone dives and stays down so it is an individuals choice

There is No adam gilchrists in the game of League which is a shame

I feel sorry for Mclean as he is the club scapegoat. I thought all 3 tacklers should have paid the price, I thought melbourne should have paid the price both on and off the field also. Its a legal move within the rules but if you go to far you pay the price

In some parts of the world you can shoot intruders, some people do some dont, its a choice. Some people quit jobs due to the ethics of a company some dont.We all know Melbourne are A holes and push the limits beyond gamesmanship, but when has any player ever signed with another club and said that they left because the brand they play is not in the spirit of the game

Everyone has just got to wake up and stop being such bad freakin sports

I agree with you that it was a rehearsed maneuver. I don't know why, but the gang type tackle (although ending in a different resulting injury) reminded me of the tackle that was put on Jamie Buhrer in Round 25 last year at Brookie against the Storm which resulted in him being taken off with rib cartilage damage after only a couple of minutes into the game. I just don't have any footage of that incident to properly compare the two Storm tackles.

Jethro said:
I agree with you that it was a rehearsed maneuver. I don't know why, but the gang type tackle (although ending in a different resulting injury) reminded me of the tackle that was put on Jamie Buhrer in Round 25 last year at Brookie against the Storm which resulted in him being taken off with rib cartilage damage after only a couple of minutes into the game. I just don't have any footage of that incident to properly compare the two Storm tackles.

From memory the Storm players lifted him, then turned him on his side or back and then threw him down hard on the ground. I'm sure the game was stopped and the video referee decided it didn't need a penalty.

Brissie Kid said:
Jethro said:

From memory the Storm players lifted him, then turned him on his side or back and then threw him down hard on the ground. I'm sure the game was stopped and the video referee decided it didn't need a penalty.

I thought that he was turned on his side and pile driven into the ground on an angle with the weight of the tacklers on top.

According to this thread post:

http://www.silvertails.net/forum/Thread-Video-ref--36003?pid=525000#pid525000

both HappilyManly and Ron E. Gibbs thought that it was a spear tackle on Buhrer.

Wish the news would stop showing it, some still show the actual impact :s

McLean is upset that people are concerned for his welfare, when Alex is in a critical condition :angel:

At least we now know the names of the officials.
The Judiciary Panel is Mal Cochrane, Bob Lindner and Chris McKenna

The MRC is Brad Clyde, M Beuttner, C Hodgson

Great memory @Jethro - Round 25 last year #12 wraps his arms around Jamie so that he can't move - then presses his left arm to apply additional downward force and #13 lifts the legs.
He went to hospital and ended up with rib problems from the resulting twist. :mad:
[attachment=770]

Statement from the Knights:

The Newcastle Knights is frustrated with the inconsistencies in relation to the NRL Judiciary following Jordan McLean’s seven-week suspension.

Firstly, the Club takes great offence to suggestions Alex McKinnon contributed to his injury when he was totally helpless in a three-man tackle and left with no ability to protect himself.

Secondly, the Club is disappointed only McLean was charged. His defence acknowledged the involvement of his two teammates in the tackle contributed to Alex's injury, however they have escaped penalty.

Thirdly, the Club applaud the NRL’s decision to postpone the hearing while everyone focused on Alex’s recovery, however found it insensitive McLean was permitted to play before Wednesday's hearing.

Finally, while the Club understands the length of suspension was always going to polarize opinion, the major disappointment lies in the grave inconsistencies of gradings, especially in comparison to recent cases.

The Club agrees there are no winners in this matter and will continue to lobby the NRL to drive change so this devastating event doesn't occur again.

Finally, enough time has passed, with all due respect to Alex, for someone to point out the obvious. If it wasn't for Melbourne reinventing how to tackle, the injury would not have occurred.

Accident, my arse!

The game used to be more gentlemanly in that you would only need to win the match with your creativity after the ball had left the ruck. I have said all along, that Bellamy's game plan was only ever about winning the ruck. In attack, play the ball as fast as you can. In defence, slow it down in any way you can; wrestle, chicken wing, whatever. Throw 3 into the tackle at every opportunity and a gentle lift close enough to the horizontal is OK.

In hindsight, shame on our club and all other clubs for copying their tactics. But I can almost forgive that, because it seemed that was the only way you win a title.

But forevermore, shame on Bellamy for turning the game into what it is today.

There, I said it.

silvertail said:
Finally, enough time has passed, with all due respect to Alex, for someone to point out the obvious. If it wasn't for Melbourne reinventing how to tackle, the injury would not have occurred.

Accident, my arse!

The game used to be more gentlemanly in that you would only need to win the match with your creativity after the ball had left the ruck. I have said all along, that Bellamy's game plan was only ever about winning the ruck. In attack, play the ball as fast as you can. In defence, slow it down in any way you can; wrestle, chicken wing, whatever. Throw 3 into the tackle at every opportunity and a gentle lift close enough to the horizontal is OK.

In hindsight, shame on our club and all other clubs for copying their tactics. But I can almost forgive that, because it seemed that was the only way you win a title.

But forever more, shame on Bellamy for turning the game into what it is today.

There, I said it.

It comes back on to Bill Harrigan and David Gallop for not stopping it once Melbourne started it. Everyone was saying it should be stopped, but they say back and did nothing. They even promoted it by introducing the 'dominant tackle'. If the other teams didn't copy that style Melbourne would have won ten straight titles.

Gould wrote an article in 2008 praising our blokes' one on one tackle ability. Wasn't sure we could win the comp with it, but found it impressive.

silvertail said:
If it wasn't for Melbourne reinventing how to tackle, the injury would not have occurred.
This from NRL 360 yesterday.

Of course Willie Mason is a teammate of McKinnon, but nevertheless I thought it was a pretty strong comment in the circumstances.

Robbie Farah: I think the big thing is the arm between the legs, anytime that happens the players have got to be aware of it and totally just stay away from it, and the refs have got to call held immediately as soon as there's an arm between the legs, because that's where the danger comes into it.

Mason: There is a duty of care with players. If you know you've got your hand between someone's legs, and they're going in that direction, you let go. I've been in positions like that and you let go, you just get out of it. I think there was an instance in that game where Beau Scott had another guy's legs in the air, Jeremy Smith had his upper body and Beau knew he was in trouble so he let go of his legs so he falls on his front.

Paul Kent: Can I ask: Is every club doing that though?

Mason:I just think there's a duty of care with players, I think with Melbourne they're taught to hold in, to the nth degree, tight, till the tackle is over. You know, and a lot of players aren't taught that way.

Worms aside, there is the potential for this to get messier between Knights and Storm before either can move on, if they ever can.
Some leadership from NRL is called for at this time.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Worms aside, there is the potential for this to get messier between Knights and Storm before either can move on, if they ever can.

Exactly right, the NRL needs to condemn Melbourne and bellamy (aka King Scum) for the filthy tactics they have developed over a 10 year period.

Moreover they should be censured publicly for the disgraceful attempt to blame a bloke who was wrapped up like a Mummy and thrown around like a rag doll in an illegal tackle.

Melbourne are a blight on the NRL landscape with not a shred of decency.

Not a good week for the family. His brother just got sentenced yesterday to 3 years for a king hit on a bloke in Melbourne causing brain damage.

Ralphie said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:

Exactly right, the NRL needs to condemn Melbourne and bellamy (aka King Scum) for the filthy tactics they have developed over a 10 year period.

Moreover they should be censured publicly for the disgraceful attempt to blame a bloke who was wrapped up like a Mummy and thrown around like a rag doll in an illegal tackle.

Wrapped up like a mummy? Nothing like a bit of exaggeration. Especially when it's regarding the team you hate the most.
Not sure why it keeps getting reported that McKinnon's arms were pinned or wrapped, because that wasn't the case.

bones said:
Ralphie said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:

Wrapped up like a mummy? Nothing like a bit of exaggeration. Especially when it's regarding the team you hate the most.
Not sure why it keeps getting reported that McKinnon's arms were pinned or wrapped, because that wasn't the case.

Thanks Berks. Arms not pinned or wrapped up at all in that pic. Definitely nothing like a 'mummy'.

Berkeley_Eagle said:
bones said:
Ralphie said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:

Thanks for that, I see now that he was able to effectively protect himself and avoid injury and I shouldn't have used such words. I assume he must have chosen not to protect himself. I don't know how I missed that.

Just like all those referring to this as a tragic accident. I am now beginning to get it. Please feel free to correct me here too if I'm wrong Ok. So McLean accidentally put his hand between McKinnons legs, then he accidentally lifted him until he was beyond horizontal (Nothing illegal so far is there), then finally he accidentally failed to pull out of the tackle and drove him into the ground.......got it, I just don't know how I missed all of that first time round. Thankyou for putting me straight.

How dare they suspend him, Melbourne must appeal this injustice!

Ralphie said:
Berkeley_Eagle said:
bones said:
Ralphie said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:

Thanks for that, I see now that he was able to effectively protect himself and avoid injury and I shouldn't have used such words. I assume he must have chosen not to protect himself. I don't know how I missed that.

Just like all those referring to this as a tragic accident. I am now beginning to get it. Please feel free to correct me here too if I'm wrong Ok. So McLean accidentally put his hand between McKinnons legs, then he accidentally lifted him until he was beyond horizontal (Nothing illegal so far is there), then finally he accidentally failed to pull out of the tackle and drove him into the ground.......got it, I just don't know how I missed all of that first time round. Thankyou for putting me straight.

How dare they suspend him, Melbourne must appeal this injustice!
Your being sarcastik Yeah

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8