Johns Vs Thurston

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Who was a better footballer (not who do you like better)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Johns easily.
He was jaw dropping on his best days. JT is just an extremely good player and a competitor.

I think it's a bit of an insult to Cooper Cronk that JT is considered to be obviously the best half in the game currently. I'd like to see a convincing argument as to why he's better than Cronk before we start comparing him to Joey. And then there's the fact that Cam "the filth" Smith is probably more valuable than them both, although in a different position so not quite so flashy as the halves get to be.

Johns defence puts him ahead. JT can't defend, he'd get monstered every time if he didn't have decent players either side of him.

Awards mean nothing, they go to the media darlings.
Johns is by far and away ahead of Thurston. Make no mistake, Johns is a professional dickhead, but he wins by as many lengths as he pleases up against the Thurston.

What about a 20,000 word analysis of Brad Clyde vs Brad mackay? Both locks with no connection at all to manly.

Joey.

I rate him the 2nd best player I've ever seen. (After Jamie Lyon of course, ok maybe Joey edges it). I think JT is an excellent player, but the origin comparisons are harsh, when you consider this has been the most dominant qld team of all time, against some mediocre to good nsw teams. Add to that qld players with the quality of Inglis, slater, smith and Cronk (plus others) and it starts to get hard to compare them on origin terms.

Joey to me was just complete, plus as others have said I've seen Joey take more games by the scruff of the neck through skill, determination and with a Shane Warne like aura. JT competes constantly, but I feel he has won games on that determination rather than absolute brilliance which Joey used to.

I think adding joeys defence which was as solid as a backrower and you get the full impact.

I also agree that Cameron Smith (who I despise) has been more influential than JT.

Joey also owned the result of the grand finals he won, and to mind they don't win them without him. The 2004 is irrelevant in these discussions, whilst in last years gf there is no way JT deserved the Clive Churchill medal, that was absolute bias and he did not have a great game.

Last edited:
Both were named Brad for one thing.

I think they may even have been Brads #3 and #4 in first grade after Brad Williams and Brad Izzard.

in this era JT,Johns was good but his bad habits means he would have been performance enhanced,Billy Smith was a deft hand along with plenty of others

While I will probably always think that Johns is the best player to ever lace a boot, I don't see how you can give him the edge over JT for Origin. JT has won 9 Origin series, including being a key part of the greatest Origin dynasty ever.

I could be wrong and controversial and I will never be able to prove it and I probably should keep my mouth shut. However I would have loved to have seen the Snake play some games at halfback in his prime. Possibly his health issues may have had an impact and maybe there are issues I am unaware of but I will stick my neck out and declare that a healthy Snake would have easilly been NSWs best halfback and the difference between winning and losing many origin games. Hayne fullback , Bird 5/8 ? and Snake half. I have raised this before and have had a couple of people dismiss it , with one claim being that He does not know how to set up the play. Based on how he reacts when he has found himself in the same position as half I disagree entirely with this notion. If anyone thinks Snake has less ability with the ball than our two great halves in Tooves and disco Des can not have been watching. Imagine how much space he would create for his runners because of the focus which would need to be placed on his running. A futile arguement I know

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7