Johns v Johns interview

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Jake Friend and his concussive worries later in life.
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...tory/22a162fc662cb3323d48ed4e5c79f927?login=1

(Personally I think Jake should sit out Saturday’s game, to emphasise his points!):clap:

I’ll copy and paste below just in case the paywall thingy comes up.

Jake Friend admits he fears effects of concussion after NRL retirement
David Riccio, The Daily Telegraph
March 19, 2019 6:45pm
Subscriber
Roosters co-captain Jake Friend has spoken passionately about his fears that concussion could impact his life once he retires from football.

In the wake of Andrew Johns shedding new light on the issue by revealing his epilepsy diagnosis could be a result of playing with concussions, Friend has conceded what players have previously been reluctant to admit.

“It does (scare me),’’ Friend said of potential brain injury as a result of concussion.

“It’s a scary thing — and it’s a bit of an unknown.

“We’ve seen in the NFL, the stuff that has happened over there.’’

Friend isn’t afraid to put his head in the wrong places. Image: Mark Evans
Averaging 42.5 tackles per game in 2018, Friend made more tackles than any other Roosters player last year.

The 29-year-old was unable to finish a match in round seven last season against Canterbury due to concussion.

He needed to pass the NRL’s mandatory testing the next week so he could play in the Roosters’ Anzac Day clash with St George Illawarra.

Friend said he welcomed the increased policing and Head Injury Assessment (HIA) that the NRL have introduced.

What effect will all these collisions have? Image: AAP Image/Craig Golding
“For me, it’s something I’m wary of as a player and I think each individual player has a responsibility to themselves (to make the right decisions), as well as the clubs and the NRL, which are putting all the right things in place,’’ Friend said.

“From when I started (to now), it’s (the NRL) a lot more stringent with the testing and HIA. There was none of that (when I started) nine years ago.

“I guess it is scary because its (testing and HIA) has only come in and you never know what the effects have already done.

“I also think everyone is different as well — you don’t know how serious each individual head knock has been or other factors away from footy are a part of that.’’

Friend said he had undergone regular cognitive testing, which gave him the confidence to continue playing the game he loves.

Having been beaten in round one by the Rabbitohs, Friend said the Roosters were intent on securing their first win of the season against Manly at Brookvale Oval on Saturday.

He ruled out any suggestion of a hangover from a taxing trip to the UK for the World Club Challenge last month.

“I don’t think energy was the issue for us — it was in the sense that we did so much defence,’’ Friend said.

“But as a team there was no one out there that wasn’t up.

“It was just that we made it so hard for ourselves with turning the ball over and silly errors.’’

It’s good that players are becoming more aware of the potential consequences of concussion. But...funny how they don’t have the same qualms about the potentially far-reaching effects of drug use - like, I dunno, a snootful of cocaine all night and then a pocketful of some old lady’s prescription meds for an easier comedown. Hey, Jake?

(For anyone who doesn’t remember, Mr Friend was the other player in the ‘Todd Carney busted with someone else’s Valium the night after a bender’ incident).

Sadly there will always be head injuries in a high contact and impact sport. However, the game has been allowed to morph into something very different to that which I enjoyed as a boy. I am 60. The best tackles were low tackles and nobody was allowed to lay on the tackled player. It was a case of let him go and roll off and if you didn't do that within a few seconds it was a penalty. Then came the 10 meter rule and big bodies struggling to get onside resulting in the wrestle and players trying to roll their opponents on their backs to slow the play the ball down. That has in my view contributed to more injuries as we watch bodies frequently bent into inappropriate positions and big bodies coming together at top pace far more regularly. Then to cap all of this off we have far too many interchanges so the factor of fatigue in big units is all but negated. The result is very little second phase play and fewer long range tries. The diamond has lots its shine and intrigue. IMO The game has become predictable. Sadly we rarely see the small guys tearing it up when the giants are tired. What a terrible shame and IMO a result of the complete lack of foresight by the administrators of the game historically and at present. This transformation of the game will IMO result in many more concussion causalities after retirement.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8