Johns v Johns interview

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

wombatgc

KT 623
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Watched it last night. Very thoughtful and honest answers. Must’ve been very hard to bare his soul like that. Most of all it continues to break down the ‘no speak’ mental health walls. Headgear or helmets may soon be mandatory. In the future I think science will come up with a way to make the brain more stable and protected (thinking of the woodpecker example used in the movie Concussion).

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/i-...n/news-story/8ad53ce8fb14a3dfed776c37880dd1e3
(Go to last vid for the complete interview).

Last edited:
Watched it last night. Very thoughtful and honest answers. Must’ve been very hard to bare his soul like that. Most of all it continues to break down the ‘no speak’ mental health walls. Headgear or helmets may soon be mandatory. In the future I think science will come up with a way to make the brain more stable and protected (thinking of the woodpecker example used in the movie Concussion).

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/i-...n/news-story/8ad53ce8fb14a3dfed776c37880dd1e3
I think the NFL provides plenty of evidence that helmets are definitely not the answer. Brains still get jolted around enough to cause damage during a collision, and even the small ones can add up to significant damage. I think the rugby leagues best bet is to encourage tackling around the legs (and I mean legs and not the hips as this frequently ends in disaster when done poorly). Two players running upright at each other has to be the worst action as it would be the most likely to cause a head collision but even without you can see the amount of whiplash it causes. Unfortunately, with the current rules it's the most effective way to prevent 2nd play and stop attacking momentum.
For me, reduce the offside back to 5m and make the ball heavier to reduce the offloads then reward old fashioned, one on one, around the legs tackling (tackler has time to move to marker?). It's rarely mentioned (the John's story was printed over Chrismas/New Years, when no-one was paying attention) but the game faces a huge challenge if it wants to remain popular for young players and their parents. I hope it never becomes essentially touch football or worse, Wrestlemania with a ball.
https://www.fastcompany.com/1671752/why-nfl-helmets-will-never-be-concussion-proof
https://www.ted.com/talks/david_cam...t_prevent_concussions_and_what_might#t-626017

Last edited:
Yep. If there was a simple way of rewarding a legs tackle then I'd support it.
It isn't a simple solution, unfortunately.

Rugby league head knocks cause long term health problems for retired footballers. Most people would agree that is true. But what never gets mentioned is that NRL players had a culture of heavy alcohol drinking too. There's plenty of blokes out there with brain issues later in life who never played NRL but who drank way too much for too many years.

Did he mention the elephant in the room?

Rugby league head knocks cause long term health problems for retired footballers. Most people would agree that is true. But what never gets mentioned is that NRL players had a culture of heavy alcohol drinking too. There's plenty of blokes out there with brain issues later in life who never played NRL but who drank way too much for too many years.

This crossed my mind too - Joey was a party animal for many, many years & it wasnt just alcohol he partook of.

Completely omitted the weekly 3 day alcohol and drug binges Joey was known for in the 90s.:mad:

We lived through those years and Joey even came out as a drug addict when he had his first breakdown after he retired. That interview would be online somewhere.

https://www.abc.net.au/lateline/andrew-johns-admits-to-long-term-drug-use/656450

Too easy to blame potential concussion when he took pride in being wasted each week :confused:

When he mentioned going off his bipolar meds to party on his off days, Joey basically admitted to mind altering states 24x7 :cool:

Good luck to him and his third wife and third kid . It's going to be a rough ride for his mental health :tmi:

Last edited:
Both dickheads. A Johns was an A grade abuser of all things brain altering.
He got more damage from being thrown out of pubs and nightclubs on his big head than hits on the footy field.
Like many of these gifted footy players, Narcissistic knobs

Sorry my friend got to disagree. Firstly Matt (sure he is a clown) but as a previous sponsor of our great club, I had many get togethers with Matt. Always a gentleman, always polite, always prepared to spend time with sponsors - his club or not. Then you have Joey, sure some football supporters will never forgive his drug days, his standing in the world of sport that says it's OK to be a druggie and how many kids took drugs because he did ? - sure great role modelling - get it. But! then there is the other Joey. I moonlight raising money for the Day of Disability in the Hunter Region. We endeavour to get as many people with a disability come down to the Newcastle foreshore and spend the day enjoying food, entertainment and activities. ie travel costs, transportation, the activities. It turns out a free even So each year Joey organises players from each team sign posters, giveaways, actual signed action photos. If I hold a charity event he makes sure everything is delivered. More importantly he just turns up and give the pressie, unannounced, without expectation or payment. I prefer to think of the kind, generous Joey and Matty as I have never seen the narcissistic people you mentioned.

I have no doubt that concussion is a massive issue facing players.
Especially at an elite level.
Even for a parky like me in 18 years I reckon I copped about 20 from mild to out cold.
At 17 I copped 3 consecutive weeks of being knocked cold.
The 3rd week I got up, ran back to the defensive line stumbling like a drunk, much to the amusement of my family and friends.
It's nothing compared to what they cop in professional sport especially considering the size and force someone's head is subjected to today.
But as James Graham said they choose to do it and take the lifestyle it provides.
But I sometimes wonder if the legal industry is giving it more of a prod than concussion itself.
Many many people get dementia/epilepsy and other neurological disorders in their 50s 60s and later who have never been knocked out.
I hope they are comparing the ratio or just counting the dollars to a large degree.

Good for you mate, I am glad they have grown up. Because I have witnessed God awful behaviour by the both of them around Newie during their playing days.
The saying “we were all young and stupid once” may certainly apply here.
Rugby League has been good to these boys, so let’s not forget that.
Plenty of champions from the 60’s, 70’s & 80’s who never earnt a cracker from the game wobbling about in dementure states that nobody gives a rats arse about.
The Johns boys are two of the lucky ones, and good on them. I hope they do more and more of the good you speak about.

Hear what your saying. as a youngster lived in Baulkham Hills across the road from one Peter Sterling. He walked around in a yellow T-shirt that had I'm Peter Sterling written on it, the back said "who are u" ….hmmmmm

Completely omitted the weekly 3 day alcohol and drug binges Joey was known for in the 90s.:mad:

We lived through those years and Joey even came out as a drug addict when he had his first breakdown after he retired. That interview would be online somewhere.

https://www.abc.net.au/lateline/andrew-johns-admits-to-long-term-drug-use/656450

Too easy to blame potential concussion when he took pride in being wasted each week :confused:

When he mentioned going off his bipolar meds to party on his off days, Joey basically admitted to mind altering states 24x7 :cool:

Good luck to him and his third wife and third kid . It's going to be a rough ride for his mental health :tmi:
He did mention several times his unacceptable behaviour off the field. And one of the biggest things he regrets. It’s common for bi-polar ppl to want to ease up or stop their meds. It’s all about the mania. Their brains are operating on hi-octane fuel. They can do wonderful and talented things while in this state, and yes they are prone to making choices they would normally not do when they’re levelled out , but the problem is they have no control over the intensity. No shut off valve. The ppl I know with bi-polar say the same thing, finding the balance with meds is the hardest thing of all, there’s no perfect fit.
In saying all that, he’s still a prick for the 97 GF.

Last edited:
He did mention several times his unacceptable behaviour off the field. And one of the biggest things he regrets. It’s common for bi-polar ppl to want to ease up or stop their meds. It’s all about the mania. Their brains are operating on hi-octane fuel. They can do wonderful and talented things while in this state, and yes they are prone to making choices they would normally not do when they’re levelled out , but the problem is they have no control over the intensity. No shut off valve. The ppl I know with bi-polar say the same thing, finding the balance with meds is the hardest thing of all, there’s no perfect fit.
In saying all that, he’s still a prick for the 97 GF.
My point was not that he stopped but that he swapped the medical drugs for the illegal ones and copious amounts of alcohol :confused:

Joey is now paying the price for youthfull excess, like we all do to some extent @:blush:

The interview glossed over this important fact and that is why I found it misleading and it won't help the young players curb their drug/alcohol activities :cool:

Well the Johns Brothers certainly divide opinions. And that is great, funnily enough I find it hard to disagree with "lovers" or the "haters".

What I will say is, in my opinion, Matthew has become a great interviewer over the past 3 years, just a pity he mentions himself so often in his questions.

Andrew, the greatest player anyone is likely to ever see, seems to be a real lost soul. I hope he finds peace in his life. He is a highly intelligent man, and knows more about the game than anyone else.

I still laugh at Andrews red hair day at Brookvale, it rightfully embarrasses him no end.

Both men are clearly still getting over their past troubles, for which they are ashamed of, and growing as people. I wish them both well.

Plenty of people young and old who have mental issues from taking far too many drugs

A friend who is a mental health nurse also blames drugs for the high number of suicides amongst young people these days as they are on massive highs for a long time as a result of the drugs and then they come down to massive lows

Maybe they’ve grown up, maybe they haven’t. I saw Matthew absolutely plastered at an ice hockey game a few years ago - doing a promo for Triple M at half time, and so drunk and embarrassing that MG was making a big effort to keep him the hell away from the microphone.

And for all the revisionist history that he was the ‘good’ Johns brother - I’d bet the house that group sex incident in NZ was neither the first nor the only time he’d done that. Incorrigible gronks, the pair of ‘em.

Jake Friend and his concussive worries later in life.
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...tory/22a162fc662cb3323d48ed4e5c79f927?login=1

(Personally I think Jake should sit out Saturday’s game, to emphasise his points!):clap:

I’ll copy and paste below just in case the paywall thingy comes up.

Jake Friend admits he fears effects of concussion after NRL retirement
David Riccio, The Daily Telegraph
March 19, 2019 6:45pm
Subscriber
Roosters co-captain Jake Friend has spoken passionately about his fears that concussion could impact his life once he retires from football.

In the wake of Andrew Johns shedding new light on the issue by revealing his epilepsy diagnosis could be a result of playing with concussions, Friend has conceded what players have previously been reluctant to admit.

“It does (scare me),’’ Friend said of potential brain injury as a result of concussion.

“It’s a scary thing — and it’s a bit of an unknown.

“We’ve seen in the NFL, the stuff that has happened over there.’’

Friend isn’t afraid to put his head in the wrong places. Image: Mark Evans
Averaging 42.5 tackles per game in 2018, Friend made more tackles than any other Roosters player last year.

The 29-year-old was unable to finish a match in round seven last season against Canterbury due to concussion.

He needed to pass the NRL’s mandatory testing the next week so he could play in the Roosters’ Anzac Day clash with St George Illawarra.

Friend said he welcomed the increased policing and Head Injury Assessment (HIA) that the NRL have introduced.

What effect will all these collisions have? Image: AAP Image/Craig Golding
“For me, it’s something I’m wary of as a player and I think each individual player has a responsibility to themselves (to make the right decisions), as well as the clubs and the NRL, which are putting all the right things in place,’’ Friend said.

“From when I started (to now), it’s (the NRL) a lot more stringent with the testing and HIA. There was none of that (when I started) nine years ago.

“I guess it is scary because its (testing and HIA) has only come in and you never know what the effects have already done.

“I also think everyone is different as well — you don’t know how serious each individual head knock has been or other factors away from footy are a part of that.’’

Friend said he had undergone regular cognitive testing, which gave him the confidence to continue playing the game he loves.

Having been beaten in round one by the Rabbitohs, Friend said the Roosters were intent on securing their first win of the season against Manly at Brookvale Oval on Saturday.

He ruled out any suggestion of a hangover from a taxing trip to the UK for the World Club Challenge last month.

“I don’t think energy was the issue for us — it was in the sense that we did so much defence,’’ Friend said.

“But as a team there was no one out there that wasn’t up.

“It was just that we made it so hard for ourselves with turning the ball over and silly errors.’’

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6