John Hopoate Blocked By The NRL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Former rugby league bad boy John Hopoate set to continue coaching at Manly despite an NRL ‘ban’

FORMER rugby league bad boy and Sea Eagles winger John Hopoate is set to continue coaching the club’s SG Ball side despite being told by the NRL he could not continue in the role with the elite under 18 side.

The ruling could lead to a showdown between the NRL and their counterparts at the NSW Rugby League, who control the SG Ball competition.

A shocked Hopoate was contacted on Tuesday by an NRL official who informed him he could no longer continue in charge of the team following publicity surrounding his appointment.

“We were surprised to read about the NRL decision this morning, we didn’t know about it,” said NSW Rugby League CEO Dave Trodden.

“The administration of intrastate competitions, such as the SG Ball competition, are the responsibility of the NSW Rugby League, not the NRL.”

And Trodden said to be a coach in the SG Ball, NRL accreditation was not a requirement.

v1

“The only two requirements to coach in those competitions are a level two coaching accreditation and a valid working with children check,” Trodden said

“My understanding is that John Hopoate has both those qualifications.

“And if he has those qualifications it’s not really a matter for the NSW Rugby League as to who appoints coaches, it is a matter for the individual clubs.

“So whether or not John Hopoate coaches, as long as he has those qualifications, it’s really a matter for Manly not for us.

“If he meets all the criteria it is not up to us to have a view about his appropriateness or otherwise.”

And in another twist Hopoate received his level two coaching certificate from the NRL itself.

Hopoate did coach the Manly development squad last year with no dramas and is also assistant coach of Tonga which is governed by the rugby league’s international rules.

Neither the Manly club nor Hopoate would comment on the matter yesterday.

But the Manly Daily understands that a number of parents with sons in the SG Ball side contacted the Sea Eagles to support Hopoate on Thursday.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...spite-an-nrl-ban/story-fngr8iii-1227597709605

Whilst I don't condone Hoppas off field indiscretions, Manly and the powers that be believe he has something to offer in spite of everyone's feelings and beliefs, inclusive of those in the media.

If reports from those associated with the club are all positive and there is a genuine believe he will be successful then I will go with that. Besides wasn't it Bozo who wanted him? The same Bozo who cleaned out the old roster, snared Myles, Brown, Api, Parcell, Lussick etc, who managed to convince DCE to reneg on the Titans and possibly bring us the next premiership winning coach in Barrett.

The medias motto is "no news is good news unless its bad news" and unfortunately we all tend to focus on that.

I know I will probably get hammered for my opinion but hey it's just my opinion so fire away :finger:and GO THE EAGLES!

Just listening to Stuart Clarke, who operates with the NSWRL, on Triple M, the NRL doesn't have any right to knock Hopoate back. SG Ball falls under NSWRL regulations and as long as he has a coaching accreditation and working with children check - which he does, he can coach.

Clarke said he will be coaching next year based on that.
the tele has ran a story along similar lines today, looks like he will coach next year.

Whilst I don't condone Hoppas off field indiscretions, Manly and the powers that be believe he has something to offer in spite of everyone's feelings and beliefs, inclusive of those in the media.

If reports from those associated with the club are all positive and there is a genuine believe he will be successful then I will go with that. Besides wasn't it Bozo who wanted him? The same Bozo who cleaned out the old roster, snared Myles, Brown, Api, Parcell, Lussick etc, who managed to convince DCE to reneg on the Titans and possibly bring us the next premiership winning coach in Barrett.

The medias motto is "no news is good news unless its bad news" and unfortunately we all tend to focus on that.

I know I will probably get hammered for my opinion but hey it's just my opinion so fire away :finger:and GO THE EAGLES!

I for one agree with you Sideline. He sounds like he's pretty committed to coaching so give him a go.

Most jumped on the soap box to bag him, now watch the tide turn because The NSWRL approved him. Hoppa has been an idiot, but he doesn't deserve some trumped up dick at NRL head office persecuting him. As was pointed out, blame the club if you feel aggrieved. They after all did appoint him based on his efforts, experience and qualification. Go Hop! Lol

Last edited:
The NRL (Greenberg?) comes out of this looking like utter fools.

First it was reported (of course, after all Hoppa's history was fully known) that Hoppa was hand-picked by the NRL to enter a coaching course which would enable him to coach at NRL level. So the NRL have apparently done a huge and sudden backflip. Why? Because of a public opinion poll?

Second, Hoppa has the qualifications needed to do the job. He gained these qualifications through the NRL. Bit late to complain when he's already gone through their controls and met the NRL's requirements.

Third he has fully met the community standards for working with children (under 18's). So what is the NRL trying to do - overturn these community standards?

Fourth, the NRL actually do not have the power to exclude Hoppa. Hoppa only needs to meet the NSWRL standards, which he has done. The NRL is seeking to exceed its powers.

People may or may not agree with Manly's choice, or Hoppa's choice, or the players and parent's choice that Hoppa is fit for this job. But they are the ones who are most affected, and the NRL (presumably Greenberg) look like serious gooses for their ill-judged and knee-jerk reaction to this week's public opinion poll.

I don't like his appointment or him on a personal level

But fairs fair the NRL banned him more than ten years ago, he's done his time until his next atrocity

I don't like his appointment or him on a personal level

But fairs fair the NRL banned him more than ten years ago, he's done his time until his next atrocity
The NRL did not ban him on his past on field foul play. @:cool:

It's Hoppa's continued run ins with the law that would have the Integrity Commission on high alert.

They just don't want the bad PR or anyone associated with Bikies :wondering:

It's all Manly's risk now, as controversy seems to follow the poor Hoppa Clan @:rolleyes:

^ Exactly, it's the Manly club's mistake to make if they want to make it. And they're perfectly entitled to make it. The NRL will probably be fine with it now the Telegraph says there's been a few members of the public coming out in support of Hoppa. That's apparently how decisions are made at the NRL: what does it say in the Telegraph today?

From our corporate website..
Our Values
  • Have a can-do attitude
  • Be a team player
  • Act responsibly and with integrity
  • Respect people
  • Be adaptable to change
  • Be accountable for our actions
50% strike rate against Hoppa and still is given a gig. I don't give a toss how good Bozo thinks he is, what his results have been and will be, I firmly believe IMO that he should not be in our club. He has sh1t on everyone, every club, every job he has been with. A disgrace that does not deserve to be in Maroon and White ever again. If this is what the best candidate is like, how poor are all the others.

Most jumped on the soap box to bag him, now watch the tide turn because The NSWRL approved him. Hoppa has been an idiot, but he doesn't deserve some trumped up dick at NRL head office persecuting him. As was pointed out, blame the club if you feel aggrieved. They after all did appoint him based on his efforts, experience and qualification. Go Hop! Lol
Most jumped on the soap box to bag him

Who are you pointing the finger at....

The NRL did not ban him on his past on field foul play. @:cool:

It's Hoppa's continued run ins with the law that would have the Integrity Commission on high alert.

They just don't want the bad PR or anyone associated with Bikies :wondering:

It's all Manly's risk now, as controversy seems to follow the poor Hoppa Clan @:rolleyes:
I don't think it's their call to make they are legal matters

If he never fingerbanged at the Tigers i doubt they'd care

Russell Packer is a more vile human, as are Robert Lui,Greg Inglis and greg bird

The NRL (Greenberg?) comes out of this looking like utter fools.

First it was reported (of course, after all Hoppa's history was fully known) that Hoppa was hand-picked by the NRL to enter a coaching course which would enable him to coach at NRL level. So the NRL have apparently done a huge and sudden backflip. Why? Because of a public opinion poll?

Second, Hoppa has the qualifications needed to do the job. He gained these qualifications through the NRL. Bit late to complain when he's already gone through their controls and met the NRL's requirements.

Third he has fully met the community standards for working with children (under 18's). So what is the NRL trying to do - overturn these community standards?

Fourth, the NRL actually do not have the power to exclude Hoppa. Hoppa only needs to meet the NSWRL standards, which he has done. The NRL is seeking to exceed its powers.

People may or may not agree with Manly's choice, or Hoppa's choice, or the players and parent's choice that Hoppa is fit for this job. But they are the ones who are most affected, and the NRL (presumably Greenberg) look like serious gooses for their ill-judged and knee-jerk reaction to this week's public opinion poll.

Oh dear. Do these guys really run the game. Oh dear.

A comment on the SMH website about this story raised an interesting issue:

How come the NRL are fine for Russell Packer to return to the NRL comp when he's done time in jail for a brutal assault but Hoppa gets different treatment.
involved with youth

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4