Joel Thompson???

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Saint92

I posted here last season when it was announced that st helens had signed him for 2021. He came over with a HUGE rep and going of what the fans posted on here you was all sad to see him go and saying he was one of your better player.

To be polite he has had a very very poor season so far in super league. Many fans calling to drop him from the line up. Defence he is sounds but in attack he may as well not be here, just catches and runs straight, cost us many many tries so far by simply not passing the ball.

Was his game play at manly the same? Just run straight and not into the gaps and just keep hold of the ball or was he an attacking threat? Sione matautia already seems to be better second rower out of the 2 this season for us. If joel doesnt improve can see him eithef being released or moved to off the bench prop forward which seems to suit him better

So i take it hos game play was always just catch and run straight without an offload or side step
I guess your recruitment department knew that and wanted him more for all the other great things he brings to a TEAM...just like all of us here did. If your R&R department wanted a 500k British Pound beast that can offload in tight quarters they would not have been looking to sign Thommo. and neither should you supporters. He is what he is mate and your R&R department knew what he is. In saying that, the guy is a gem.

So i take it hos game play was always just catch and run straight without an offload or side step
We loved Thomo for his effort and his leadership. He was never the most skilful player but he could be counted on when there was hard work to be done. He was very active in good causes in the community and set an example for the young blokes in the team on and off the field.

If you want skill you should look at Corey Norman from the Dragons. He should be coming on the market shortly. All the integrity of a gutter rat but, by God, he can run, step, kick and pass.

He is no ball playing forward but with a good pack and some good halves he can hit holes and score tries. Sounds like St Helens needs more than a Thommo.

Maybe Thompson has lost a bit of pace and power over time, but have no doubt he would add a fair bit of stability to his younger team mates on and off the field....the stuff fans don't get to see.
Never been a Fifita, Taumololo type, more Mr reliable who is kind of No Frills, but safe....haven't seen his games this year but likely coming to the twilight of his career by the sounds of it

Thommo took a while to find his best form at Manly but when he did , of course was a real asset then . Direct hard runs , aggressive and reliable defence at Manly but maybe not suited to the more open type of play that often typifies the E S L . Would think that he should still have something to offer but haven 't seen him in action there . Maybe his intensity is just starting to wane a little bit which is understandable .

He ran decent lines and hole runner but needed one of the halves to feed him a short ball, so it may not be Thompson. Having said that I haven't seen a game and I don't know what the halves are like.

We loved Thomo for his effort and his leadership. He was never the most skilful player but he could be counted on when there was hard work to be done. He was very active in good causes in the community and set an example for the young blokes in the team on and off the field.

If you want skill you should look at Corey Norman from the Dragons. He should be coming on the market shortly. All the integrity of a gutter rat but, by God, he can run, step, kick and pass.
that must be a different Corey Norman

I posted here last season when it was announced that st helens had signed him for 2021. He came over with a HUGE rep and going of what the fans posted on here you was all sad to see him go and saying he was one of your better player.

To be polite he has had a very very poor season so far in super league. Many fans calling to drop him from the line up. Defence he is sounds but in attack he may as well not be here, just catches and runs straight, cost us many many tries so far by simply not passing the ball.

Was his game play at manly the same? Just run straight and not into the gaps and just keep hold of the ball or was he an attacking threat? Sione matautia already seems to be better second rower out of the 2 this season for us. If joel doesnt improve can see him eithef being released or moved to off the bench prop forward which seems to suit him better
Give you a tip. When I saw this thread, I hoped it was about him being home sick, and coming back to us.

That should give an idea about his quality.

You have to take a lot into consideration. What is his coach telling him to do? What system is he playing in? Is his 5/8 and half distributing the ball to him well? How many minutes is he playing ? Etc etc.

He did a lot for us. Scored tries. Was upbeat, played hard.

Why he's regressed for you guys is beyond me.

Looks like we let him go at the right time. There is no way he would make our top 17, barring catastrophic injuries. I still would have liked him around the club in some capacity. Genuine and positive role model on and off the field.

At st helens we have the best stand off in the country in jonny lomax who is top of the charts for assists. With zeb taia as his left second row they had an unbelievable partnership. Our left hand side for the last few years has bes been impossible to defend against but thompson has put a stop to that with his basic just run it in style play.

Next season looks like we will be recruiting another 2nd rower and using thompson as an of the bench prop unless he wants to head back to nrl. Many saints fans have classed him as the new luke douglas .... which is not a good thing in super league

that must be a different Corey Norman
Its the old Corey from Parramatta not the new one from Wollongong. If its a choice between rediscovering his form or getting an honest job I reckon the old Corey might make a reappearance. His defensive shortcomings would be less of an issue in England.

Staff online

• Dan
    Kim Jong Dan
  • Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8