Jamil Hopoate

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
He's done his time. Let him back. Everyone does a second chance. Besides just think how hard and tough he'll be after prison.

HOPOATE AND MANLY WAIT FOR CLEARANCE

Jamil Hopoate has been released from Sydney’s Long Bay prison after serving his time for taking part in a violent assault.

Prior to his imprisonment, Hopoate was contracted to Manly but they were left with no choice but to tear up his deal.

A year later and the Sea Eagles are keen on re-signing the 20-year-old.

On Tuesday foxsports.com.au revealed Jamil’s father John has accepted a coaching role with the Sea Eagles for next season.

Hopoate will coach the SG Ball side and providing the NRL gives the club the all clear, the troubled young gun will join his father on the northern beaches next year.

“He got out last Friday and he’s just happy to be out,” Hopoate Snr said.

“We’ll leave him alone for a bit and then hopefully he can get back into it.

“Manly want to re-sign him but we just have to wait and see with the NRL.”

In the short term Jamil will begin lecturing teens on the dangers of alcohol and ramifications for violent acts.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...nrl-market-watch/story-fn2mcuj6-1227575932031

Our justice system determines that when a person has served whatever sentence they have received, they are again free in the society. The caveat is sex offence matters, that require ongoing police monitoring and checks.

I am not excusing Jamil's behaviour. It is downright thuggish and he deserved the time away. But there comes a point where we have to say justice has been served. That may not be ideal and many may think we treat offenders too lightly... but that's another issue. The law as it exists says that once Jamil has completed his sentence in February, he has met his obligations. That's not to say he wont re-offend and if he does the Law will come down most likely heavier for any similar behaviour.

But where does punishment end. Certainly the League have justification in being wary about allowing him back, for the image of the game, but the offending behaviour did not occur on the field, it was a separate act. If for the sake of image the League decides to bar him indefinitely or for a set period, that would be understandable. But if he is cleared to play, he should be allowed to.

We may personally be affronted by his behaviour in the community but denying him his means of employment because of how we feel towards him is penalising him twice for an offence which our system says he has already paid the penalty for. If playing football was endangering other people and he was under the influence of alcohol, we would be justified in opposing his reinstatement. But nothing in his performance as a footballer, in the past, gives cause for such fear.

As I said, I'm not excusing the behaviour and he may do it again. But he will have served his time as seen by our legal system in February so he should be allowed to play if the League.gives the OK.

Our justice system determines that when a person has served whatever sentence they have received, they are again free in the society. The caveat is sex offence matters, that require ongoing police monitoring and checks.

I am not excusing Jamil's behaviour. It is downright thuggish and he deserved the time away. But there comes a point where we have to say justice has been served. That may not be ideal and many may think we treat offenders too lightly... but that's another issue. The law as it exists says that once Jamil has completed his sentence in February, he has met his obligations. That's not to say he wont re-offend and if he does the Law will come down most likely heavier for any similar behaviour.

But where does punishment end. Certainly the League have justification in being wary about allowing him back, for the image of the game, but the offending behaviour did not occur on the field, it was a separate act. If for the sake of image the League decides to bar him indefinitely or for a set period, that would be understandable. But if he is cleared to play, he should be allowed to.

We may personally be affronted by his behaviour in the community but denying him his means of employment because of how we feel towards him is penalising him twice for an offence which our system says he has already paid the penalty for. If playing football was endangering other people and he was under the influence of alcohol, we would be justified in opposing his reinstatement. But nothing in his performance as a footballer, in the past, gives cause for such fear.

As I said, I'm not excusing the behaviour and he may do it again. But he will have served his time as seen by our legal system in February so he should be allowed to play if the League.gives the OK.
Do employers have the right to fire someone for not saying they have a criminal record?

The Anti-Discrimination Act says in general term the following:

'Employers have a right to see an individual’s criminal record before hiring them. However, that right has several key limits. The decision not to hire someone based on his or her criminal record must be related to the job, meaning the criminal record indicated that the person could be a liability in that position.'

I think that should answer the question. As for firing them for committing and offence while employed, I guess that is probably more arbitrary and depends on the nature of the charge, whether it was committed in their employment and what penalty they are facing. In the case of Jamil, he will have completed his sentence so anti-discrimination issues then apply

Tell that to the mums and sponsors. Image in sport is everything nowadays. But you are right

I though Jamil could be a handy utility 12 months ago. An Aggressive but small back rower which if he had to, could may be handle hooker?
Now the last thing our squad even the reserves needs is someone to play those roles.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6