Jamie Lyon backs Des Hasler

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

castle eagle

Bencher
Tipping Member
Former premiership-winning captain Jamie Lyon backs Des Hasler to make Manly great again
Paul Crawley, The Daily Telegraph
October 23, 2018 5:44pm
Subscriber only
IT’S about as great an endorsement as any former NRL player can give a past coach: “Everyone who has played under him has always loved Des.”

And with that, Manly’s last premiership-winning captain Jamie Lyon declared Des Hasler won’t rest until the wily old coach finds “an edge” to make the Sea Eagles great again.

While admitting he was disappointed to see Trent Barrett go down in the crossfire that divided the club this year, Lyon was adamant Hasler was a smart choice to bring everyone at Manly back together.

“I think it is a good move,” Lyon told The Daily Telegraph from his new home base on the NSW far north coast.

“He has been around the club a long time and he knows the ins and outs.

“He is a good operator and he surrounds himself with good staff. And he is always looking for an edge.

“He is not happy to sit on his hands and just let it happen. He will look outside the box. He will give everyone a say. At the end of the day he will make a decision.

“But he is adaptable.”

Often portrayed as intense and with a relentless work ethic, Lyon reckons behind closed doors the reason players “loved” Hasler was in no small part because of his sense of humour and ability to read their mood.

“Don’t worry, we were confused a lot of the time, too,” Lyon laughed. “But he is a good fella and he is very funny.

“A lot of people don’t know that he has got a wicked sense of humour and he can surprise you too which is good.

“I remember we had a big game coming up at one point, everyone was a little bit on edge.

“Anyway, we were getting ready to do video and he has come in dancing and singing and carrying on and right then everyone started laughing their heads off.

“Everyone who has played under him has always loved Des. And I have no doubt he still would have that nous about him.”

After finishing second last on the ladder this year, the pressure will be on Hasler immediately.

While a big part of Barrett’s demise related to his concerns about lack of resources, chairman Scott Penn has already declared he wants to see Manly challenging for a top four spot every season.

Under Hasler, Manly made the finals for seven straight seasons between 2005 and 2011 and Lyon played five of those years, winning titles in 2008 and 2011 as captain.

Lyon reckons he can see similarities in the squad now to when he first arrived in 2007.

“By the time I got there we had a good crew,” Lyon recalled. “We had the Stewart boys (Glenn and Brett), Stevie Matai and Anthony Watmough. It was the nucleus of a good team.

“And there were a few old heads. Beaver (Steve Menzies) was there, Matty Orford and Steve Bell.

“Des probably wasn’t as polished when I first got there as he was towards the end but we just improved every year. I reckon he will do well again.

“I really liked Baz as a coach too. It is just unfortunate that they didn’t play too well this year.

“But the year before they played really well and weren’t too far out of the big games (when finishing sixth). I hope Baz kicks on and gets another job.

“But it is good that Des is back in.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...n/news-story/e15f90a8d872c01814342dc2893b8acd

The biggest loss over the last three seasons is the calmness and professionalism of Killer Lyon, we need a player like that to keep our team together. I hope you are enjoying your retirement!

Losing Jamie on his own would have left a big enough void to fill ... losing Snake, Matai, Ballin, Kite, Foran, Choc, et al all in the space of 2/3 years really left us short of on field leadership and character ......

This new group now have to build their own ...

According to Jamie Lyon ..

“I really liked Baz as a coach too. It is just unfortunate that they didn’t play too well this year.

“But the year before they played really well and weren’t too far out of the big games (when finishing sixth). I hope Baz kicks on and gets another job.

“But it is good that Des is back in.

Well said Jamie Lyon ..... but you must be wrong about Baz .... people who have never met him or attended a training session disagree with you ......

Just another reason why I prefer to take my advice on a coach from people that have actually been coached by him rather than numb-nut Punchie dribblers with sore bottoms .....

However your last line is now all that is relevant .... The king is dead ... Long live the King .... it is now time to give 100% support to Dessie .....

Not sure if it’s just me but I really think Thomo can fill that void as a leader for the team

Yeah, seems to have the character and attitude .... have my doubts that his form guarantees him a spot in the team long term .... but certainly a good bloke to have in the squad .....

Well said Jamie Lyon ..... but you must be wrong about Baz .... people who have never met him or attended a training session disagree with you ......

Just another reason why I prefer to take my advice on a coach from people that have actually been coached by him rather than numb-nut Punchie dribblers with sore bottoms .....

However your last line is now all that is relevant .... The king is dead ... Long live the King .... it is now time to give 100% support to Dessie .....

You make a fair point and the intention of this post is not to comment on barrett.

But i just cant imagine jamie having a bad word to say about anyone. he seems to epitomise the Good ol days attitude where if you dont have something nice to say about a bloke, leave it un said

Just saying that the two are not directly linked as it may seem

You make a fair point and the intention of this post is not to comment on barrett.

But i just cant imagine jamie having a bad word to say about anyone. he seems to epitomise the Good ol days attitude where if you dont have something nice to say about a bloke, leave it un said

Just saying that the two are not directly linked as it may seem

Your point is well taken .... as you say, Jamie's usual go is to stay out of contoversy, the fact that it appears he offered an opinion as opposed to just form answering a question may be telling ...

Either way... it was too good a qoute for a Shiite stirrer like me to pass up ...

Your point is well taken .... as you say, Jamie's usual go is to stay out of contoversy, the fact that it appears he offered an opinion as opposed to just form answering a question may be telling ...

Either way... it was too good a qoute for a Shiite stirrer like me to pass up ...

Been guilty of the same and will be guilty again. I live for that ****. Carry on

Pretty sure the numb nut punchie dribblers are the Barrett supporters with egg on their face. Barrett will never be a head coach again. Clueless petulant and uninspirational.

• 🏆
Reactions: Sue

My bottom is sore - you are right!. But it's from the spankin' I get from from my wife while we celebrate the nu-Manly and our nu-memberships!

NYEagle

Pretty sure the numb nut punchie dribblers are the Barrett supporters with egg on their face. Barrett will never be a head coach again. Clueless petulant and uninspirational.

You must of missed the point where I said I prefer to take my advice on a coach from people that have actually been coached by him ... eg Jamie Lyon ..... as oppossed to numb-nuts and bum sore Punchies .....

I would love to see Jamie take a roll in the coaching staff with the view to becoming our next coach when Desy retires he has the persona for the job as does Gifty stewart.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7