Jamie Humphreys

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Phobia

Reserve Grader
For all here who are bashing the club for this, who of DCE, Luke Brooks, Jake Simpkin and Lachlan Croker would you drop for Humphreys? If you upgraded and resigned Humphreys, you'd have to let Jake Arthur go too. I think the club has bigger wraps on Arthur than they do on Humphreys. Jake Arthur is younger than Humphreys and he's already played NRL too!

I imagine Humphreys will come good, but I get the feeling that we would be resigning him as a future option if DCE was truly retiring next year. I think this says more about DCE than it does about Humphreys.

I would let all our halves prospects go if it meant DCE would stay on board for longer. He's that good, people on this board absolutely underrate the Queensland captain, which I didn't think was possible but here we are.

Ryan

Journey Man
You constantly present stats to back up your claims but as soon as someone presents stats that disprove your claim suddenly it’s all about the “feels” & you change the subject? 😂

Not changing the subject. I just loved every thinlg about Humphreys. Also, I'm surprised you didn't like Lane? I thought he was amazing.

I think Kelly, Lane and now Humphreys are huge losses. But I also thought Walker was too (and I got beaten down for supporting him too).

47MVEagle

Bencher
Not changing the subject. I just loved every thinklg about Humphreys. Also, I'm surprised you didn't like Lane? I thought he was amazing.
Where did I say I don’t like Lane?

Don’t twist my words.

I questioned you comparing current Lane to current Burbo when it took Lane 3 or 4 years to nail down a first grade spot.

Do you provide the same leniency to Lane’s second year in FG as you do to Burbo?

Ryan

Journey Man
Where did I say I don’t like Lane?

Don’t twist my words.

I questioned you comparing current Lane to current Burbo when it took Lane 3 or 4 years to nail down a first grade spot.

Do you provide the same leniency to Lane’s second year in FG as you do to Burbo?

I'm just having a convo , you're being really prickly with me.

I guess from what I've seen of Lane so far, I think he's great. That may be right ow wrong. From what I've seen of Burbo, he has a ways to go.

When it comes to Burbo, my perception is that his Defense needs fine tuning. His giving away and untimely penalties irk me. That said, there are times he has divine incising runs off Brooks.

I think Lane is a finished product. What you see is as good as you'll get (and I think that's great). With Burbo, I absolutely hope for improvement.

Can we have a convo without digging at each other ? I'm trying here.

47MVEagle

Bencher
I'm just having a convo , you're being really prickly with me.

I guess from what I've seen of Lane so far, I think he's great. That may be right ow wrong. From what I've seen of Burbo, he has a ways to go.

When it comes to Burbo, my perception is that his Defense needs fine tuning. His giving away and untimely penalties irk me. That said, there are times he has divine incising runs off Brooks.

I think Lane is a finished product. What you see is as good as you'll get (and I think that's great). With Burbo, I absolutely hope for improvement.

Can we have a convo without digging at each other ? I'm trying here.
So anyone who disagrees with you & comments accordingly is “being prickly”?

No wonder you want your very own game day thread.

If Lane is so good why has he never played SOO?

Yea, as you say, he’s a finished product, while Burbo isn’t.

Why the extreme standards for Burbo when it took Lane several years to start showing form then? How is that a rational comparison that can be debated when you completely ignore that fact?

Ryan

Journey Man
So anyone who disagrees with you & comments accordingly is “being prickly”?

No wonder you want your very own game day thread.

If Lane is so good why has he never played SOO?

Yea, as you say, he’s a finished product, while Burbo isn’t.

Why the extreme standards for Burbo when it took Lane several years to start showing form then? How is that a rational comparison that can be debated when you completely ignore that fact?

No, but if you asked the consensus here, I'm sure people would agree you're being nasty to me..and guess what mate, I won't go there.

The difference is that Lane to me is somewhat irrelevant. He plays for Parea. Burbo IS relevant, and the goal here is to win footy games, so his pros and cons are current affairs.

My view is Ben Turbo needs more.time developing. But with the quality of our roster, that might not be the best thing in first grade. Maybe he was brought in too soon? But he has a mistake or three in him. His defense needs improvements. He needs to be more disciplined (all round). There ARE glimpses of a footy player there, sublime at times. But it's about consistency.

BUT, we probably don't have any better options, so it is what it is.

47MVEagle

Bencher
No mention of: Nycho Hynes, Clinton Gutherson, Addin Fonua-Blake, Shaun Lane, Brian Kelly, and a rheem of others. That Sharks centre.
So I chose to ignore this post when I first read it because I genuinely believe you’re being overly dramatic & hyperbolic here.

Nicho Hynes - had injuries & dropped out due to mental health issues after being let go by Barrett. Did well to get back on his feet & shone at the Storm, winning the starting halfback spot at the Sharks. Has had 2 opportunities in SOO & has unfortunately not really shown he can rise to that level.

Gutho - I agree, we should have it him.

AFB - is a mercenary & has gone on to break his contract at the club he broke his contract with us to join. There would have been no pint in forcing him to stay, we let him go & the Wahs are also letting him go.

Lane - he wanted out, his contract was up & Parra threw money at him. He’s an average back rower IMO so I don’t see him as a loss.

Kelly - he wanted out to move back closer to family. He wasn’t showing any consistent brilliance with us IMO, so again no great loss.

Ramien - he wanted out & went to Newcastle where he also wasn’t happy & ended up at the Sharks. Hasn’t gone on to any great heights there but is a solid club centre.

47MVEagle

Bencher
No, but if you asked the consensus here, I'm sure people would agree you're being nasty to me..and guess what mate, I won't go there.

The difference is that Lane to me is somewhat irrelevant. He plays for Parea. Burbo IS relevant, and the goal here is to win footy games, so his pros and cons are current affairs.

My view is Ben Turbo needs more.time developing. But with the quality of our roster, that might not be the best thing in first grade. Maybe he was brought in too soon? But he has a mistake or three in him. His defense needs improvements. He needs to be more disciplined (all round). There ARE glimpses of a footy player there, sublime at times. But it's about consistency.

BUT, we probably don't have any better options, so it is what it is.
Why oh why must you always play the “recruitment” card?

Who cares what anyone else may or may not think, what do YOU think?

Why raise the subject then say you won’t go there? Is that like saying “love her to death but…” before going on to absolutely ruin someone by slagging them off? Is it supposed to nullify what you just said?

I was replying to your post that I disagreed with. Stop being so sensitive.

Ryan

Journey Man
So I chose to ignore this post when I first read it because I genuinely believe you’re being overly dramatic & hyperbolic here.

Nicho Hynes - had injuries & dropped out due to mental health issues after being let go by Barrett. Did well to get back on his feet & shone at the Storm, winning the starting halfback spot at the Sharks. Has had 2 opportunities in SOO & has unfortunately not really shown he can rise to that level.

Gutho - I agree, we should have it him.

AFB - is a mercenary & has gone on to break his contract at the club he broke his contract with us to join. There would have been no pint in forcing him to stay, we let him go & the Wahs are also letting him go.

Lane - he wanted out, his contract was up & Parra threw money at him. He’s an average back rower IMO so I don’t see him as a loss.

Kelly - he wanted out to move back closer to family. He wasn’t showing any consistent brilliance with us IMO, so again no great loss.

Ramien - he wanted out & went to Newcastle where he also wasn’t happy & ended up at the Sharks. Hasn’t gone on to any great heights there but is a solid club centre.
All fair points, and as people have stated, this has all happened over time.

But doesn't it raise a red flag? Why are all these players wanting out ? Should we be addressing that?

Remember, that list didn't include Humphreys, Latu Fainu, Sam Fainu, Sione Fainu, Tuitavake, Fifita and others. Does it at least frustrate you a LITTLE that players like Woods, Brown, Lodge are being added , but those juniors are going the other way?

The pros and cons of all the players that have left are debatable - but why isn't our retention team at work? I saw that Des made sure David Fifita didn't leave? Annoys me that he let JWH walk.

ManlyGM

Rookie
Bit disappointed we just let Humphrey’s leave. The last two seasons under Seibold we are letting go of promising young talent and replacing them with pretty average players at best.

We’ve let go of the Fainu brothers, Viliami Fifita, Tuitavake, Weekes and now Humphrey’s since Seibold has been coach.

Thats not to say all those players will pan out and bite us in the backside but it looks to me we are letting of these young talented players and replacing them with average at best, rejects with the majority of them being Moses clients.

Nathan Brown, Matt Lodge, Woods, Waddell, Paulo, Schoupp, Simpkin. A couple of these guys have been handy especially Brown but whats the actual plan here.

Sometimes it pans out like Talau and Brown but for the most part we are making quite the collection of average at best rejected players in favour of emerging talent. Anyways wish Humphrey’s all the best.

Last edited:

LeonardCohen

Bencher
I think it’s erroneous to view players and their situations as ‘fixed’.

Take Hynes as an example. He had talent but also a heap of baggage and it wasn’t working at the time he was let go. He drifted into the RL wilderness for a few years and not one NRL club was interested until he got his act together and starting performing for a feeder side in North Queensland.

Just because he eventually pulled together and made a career for himself, does not equate to a mistake from Manly. Why? Because Hynes is a human, not a computer program. He may never have made it without the setbacks he faced in finding himself without a contract. Damien Cook is another late bloomer who looked like being a career NSW Cup player until he was tried at 9 and it all took off.

These players are human and this is rugby league, not Maths.

Given Humphreys last re-signed for Manly on a one year deal does not indicate the club was banking on building a future around him. They obviously don’t think he is heir to Daly’s throne. Further, if he was this amazing generation gun, like say Nathan Cleary, you can bet we’d be encouraging DCE to pull stumps soon. The fact we are desperate to have Daly continue, speaks to the notion that they see no immediate replacement for him.

Dion Johnson

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
can we not keep one "junior" we have nurtured .I don't know if he will be a good 1sr grader (i suspect so ) but it just gives me the hits that we seem to just let them float off ,and now the team that I most despise with that wiley old c%$# has just stolen him from under our nose.
like what are you doing Seibold ??
Please Explain View attachment 27432
I am not a fan of losing young footballers who have played their junior oat Manly.

Though how many journalists have written about Jamie until the last 24 hours? I haven’t found any like fox describe as a rising star.

There are some wraps on Bunting and that could be the succession plan to DCE, one thing is for sure Brooksy is not the answer.

Out of the young footballers to move on in the last couple of years Sammy Fainu is the one that the squad are missing, Weekes I don’t think they have found his best position yet, definitely not a seven for me, maybe best suited to fullback or six when Fogarty is back.

From what I seen of Humphreys at nine his passing game was very ordinary, wish him the best and hope he can kick on.

Nordburg

First Grader
I am not a fan of losing young footballers who have played their junior oat Manly.

Though how many journalists have written about Jamie until the last 24 hours? I haven’t found any like fox describe as a rising star.

There are some wraps on Bunting and that could be the succession plan to DCE, one thing is for sure Brooksy is not the answer.

Out of the young footballers to move on in the last couple of years Sammy Fainu is the one that the squad are missing, Weekes I don’t think they have found his best position yet, definitely not a seven for me, maybe best suited to fullback or six when Fogarty is back.

From what I seen of Humphreys at nine his passing game was very ordinary, wish him the best and hope he can kick on.
Brooks wasn’t bought to be DCE’s succession plan.He was bought to be DCE’s foil and he’s done a decent job at that thus far.Last week was not his best game but he had no halfback to help due to Seibold’s selections and Jake Arthur’s injury

47MVEagle

Bencher
All fair points, and as people have stated, this has all happened over time.

But doesn't it raise a red flag? Why are all these players wanting out ? Should we be addressing that?

Remember, that list didn't include Humphreys, Latu Fainu, Sam Fainu, Sione Fainu, Tuitavake, Fifita and others. Does it at least frustrate you a LITTLE that players like Woods, Brown, Lodge are being added , but those juniors are going the other way?

The pros and cons of all the players that have left are debatable - but why isn't our retention team at work? I saw that Des made sure David Fifita didn't leave? Annoys me that he let JWH walk.
Have you looked at why Humphreys, Fainu x 3, Tuitavake, Fifita & even Suli left? I notice you didn’t include Schuster in your list?

It’s common knowledge they’re all Tartak clients.

You yourself posted the article where Suli (the first of the above to leave) admitted he didn’t want to leave Manly & it was a decision his manager (Tartak) made.

Manly bent over backwards to support the Fainu family while Manase was waiting for trial. Sione Fainu was the first of the 3 to ask for a release in 2022 to go to Wests Tigers & left after having never played FG here & is only now getting FG game time.

Tartak started agitating for upgrades for Schuster, Saab, Olakau’atu around the time that Fulton left Manly & went to Wests Tigers. Tartak then threatened to take Schuster to Wests Tigers until Benji spoke up & said he wasn’t interested.

Tartak agitated for upgrades for Samuela & Latu & also threatened to take them to Wests Tigers. I dare say the club was sick of Tartak constantly trying to bend them over a barrel & let both go to Wests Tigers because they didn’t want to match or offer more than the $1m package deal for the 2 of them. Latu has started off the bench 4 times & the club has Galvin & Sezer already there & Luai on his way. What opportunity is there for Latu there?

Tuitavake & Fifita have barely been sighted in FG since going to the Dragons.

47MVEagle

Bencher
I think it’s erroneous to view players and their situations as ‘fixed’.

Take Hynes as an example. He had talent but also a heap of baggage and it wasn’t working at the time he was let go. He drifted into the RL wilderness for a few years and not one NRL club was interested until he got his act together and starting performing for a feeder side in North Queensland.

Just because he eventually pulled together and made a career for himself, does not equate to a mistake from Manly. Why? Because Hynes is a human, not a computer program. He may never have made it without the setbacks he faced in finding himself without a contract. Damien Cook is another late bloomer who looked like being a career NSW Cup player until he was tried at 9 and it all took off.

These players are human and this is rugby league, not Maths.

Given Humphreys last re-signed for Manly on a one year deal does not indicate the club was banking on building a future around him. They obviously don’t think he is heir to Daly’s throne. Further, if he was this amazing generation gun, like say Nathan Cleary, you can bet we’d be encouraging DCE to pull stumps soon. The fact we are desperate to have Daly continue, speaks to the notion that they see no immediate replacement for him.
Who knows if maybe Humphreys himself only wanted a one year deal so he could show his ability in reserve grade in the hope of picking up a bigger contract elsewhere?

Dion Johnson

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Brooks wasn’t bought to be DCE’s succession plan.He was bought to be DCE’s foil and he’s done a decent job at that thus far.Last week was not his best game but he had no halfback to help due to Seibold’s selections and Jake Arthur’s injury
After playing 200 first grade games in the halves he should have some idea, I didn’t see any of his running game or his show and go on the weekend.

His game was way below par for me and he should have stepped up for an experienced player, I am on the fence with Brooks, he has had some nice touches, Artur was brought to be a ball playing forward, that was the statement from the club at the time, he may go into being a good seven though he will need experienced players to lead like any young player.

Ryan

Journey Man
Have you looked at why Humphreys, Fainu x 3, Tuitavake, Fifita & even Suli left? I notice you didn’t include Schuster in your list?

It’s common knowledge they’re all Tartak clients.

You yourself posted the article where Suli (the first of the above to leave) admitted he didn’t want to leave Manly & it was a decision his manager (Tartak) made.

Manly bent over backwards to support the Fainu family while Manase was waiting for trial. Sione Fainu was the first of the 3 to ask for a release in 2022 to go to Wests Tigers & left after having never played FG here & is only now getting FG game time.

Tartak started agitating for upgrades for Schuster, Saab, Olakau’atu around the time that Fulton left Manly & went to Wests Tigers. Tartak then threatened to take Schuster to Wests Tigers until Benji spoke up & said he wasn’t interested.

Tartak agitated for upgrades for Samuela & Latu & also threatened to take them to Wests Tigers. I dare say the club was sick of Tartak constantly trying to bend them over a barrel & let both go to Wests Tigers because they didn’t want to match or offer more than the $1m package deal for the 2 of them. Latu has started off the bench 4 times & the club has Galvin & Sezer already there & Luai on his way. What opportunity is there for Latu there?

Tuitavake & Fifita have barely been sighted in FG since going to the Dragons.

Pretty sure they haven't even played for first grade yet, but not sure.

Well, goes to show what I know, I wanted 6. Schuster 7. Humphreys to be our long term halves. Schuster, I'm devastated about , because I really think he loved Manly, and I still think he'll end up one of the best, most naturally skilled footballers to have ever played.

Regarding the other stuff and why players left or stayed, I don't know. Guess it's all pretty well guess work because half of what the media says is bull, and the other half, **** hahaha, and it looks like you know way more than me on that front.

I guess I'm a little more simple in that I look at our recruitment and retention, and base my assessment of them on where we end up at the end of each season, and how many games we win. I will say 3 finals series in 10 years, is pretty disappointing (and I get the roles have turned over).

I honestly can't really rag our team or coach. They are who and what they are. I do however look at recruitment / retention in regards to our improvement. Look at what Ikins done to the Broncos. That's why I get upset at such promising juniors leaving our shores, and ageing (I'll just call them vets) coming in, and other (imo unqualified opinion) questionable talent.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
14 11 3 103 26
14 10 4 118 24
15 10 5 77 24
15 9 6 161 20
15 8 7 64 20
14 8 6 60 20
15 7 7 28 19
14 7 7 37 18
15 8 7 -8 18
14 7 7 -50 18