James Roberts

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

bringbackbeaver

Reserve Grader
I understand what you mean, speed can break open a game but his defence is poor worse than kellys and he has no other skills than speed.
@Turbo1 I am not sure where you get all your BS facts from but his defence is not worse than kellys. In FACT he has made 191 tackles and missed 22 all year. BK on the other hand, has made 168 tackles and missed 37, so he has made less tackles and missed almost double. So, tell me again how BKs defence is better?? I'm keen to understand your LOGIC here? Like your passion mate but your constant "he's the best, he's the quickest," needs to be backed up by fact as opposed to to fantasy. Roberts 10 tries compared to BKs 6. Roberts 61 tackle breaks to BKs 22. All run metres 1520 for BK vs 2059 for Roberts. The only stat I can see BK has a leg up is errors (14 vs 17). Roberts has more offloads (12) to BKs (9). So, in summary, does BK show promise. Yes. Does he need to lift, yes! Is Roberts speed the only skill he has over BK, NO! Stats don't lie mate.

Supreme Leader

Uber L77T playa
@Turbo1 I am not sure where you get all your BS facts from but his defence is not worse than kellys. In FACT he has made 191 tackles and missed 22 all year. BK on the other hand, has made 168 tackles and missed 37, so he has made less tackles and missed almost double. So, tell me again how BKs defence is better?? I'm keen to understand your LOGIC here? Like your passion mate but your constant "he's the best, he's the quickest," needs to be backed up by fact as opposed to to fantasy. Roberts 10 tries compared to BKs 6. Roberts 61 tackle breaks to BKs 22. All run metres 1520 for BK vs 2059 for Roberts. The only stat I can see BK has a leg up is errors (14 vs 17). Roberts has more offloads (12) to BKs (9). So, in summary, does BK show promise. Yes. Does he need to lift, yes! Is Roberts speed the only skill he has over BK, NO! Stats don't lie mate.

Think that your response is categorised as a knockout!

Holmsey

Bencher
Stats dont lie true they also dont tell the whole story. Also your missing a crucial point, Kelly plays a different side to roberts, so unless plan on dropping leagues number 1 centre in Walker we still have no spot for him. And the stats are a bit unfair considering Kelly is in his first year and isnt used as much as Roberts gets the ball. And consiering Kellys defence stats are pretty similar to Roberts in his first year and Roberts is in his what 6 year and what his 4 club, i know who id want and its not the arrogant overrated cousin of mundine.

yokahontas

Bencher
Stats dont lie true they also dont tell the whole story. Also your missing a crucial point, Kelly plays a different side to roberts, so unless plan on dropping leagues number 1 centre in Walker we still have no spot for him. And the stats are a bit unfair considering Kelly is in his first year and isnt used as much as Roberts gets the ball. And consiering Kellys defence stats are pretty similar to Roberts in his first year and Roberts is in his what 6 year and what his 4 club, i know who id want and its not the arrogant overrated cousin of mundine.

It's actually a fair point, not so much that they play a different side, but that most NRL teams have a centre/winger pairing that would have very different stats to the other side - depends on where their strengths are (in attack) and where other teams perceive the defensive weakness to be (or where that opposition's own attacking strength lies - both contribute to the opposition attacking one side more than the other, therefore affecting the defensive stats).

Comparing Kelly to Roberts is a bit disingenuous - it'd make more sense to compare Walker and Roberts.

One thing you have to consider, salary cap wise, is that you can't have an out-and-out star in every position. Where you have 'duplicate' positions (eg you have two centres, two wingers, two props, two second rowers) - is it really a smart move to blow all your dough on stacking both sides with expensive *superstars*, or have one of those balanced by a cheaper, younger or journeyman-type player?

Especially one who has the potential that Kelly has - get him into the system now, while he's still prone to the odd rookie error, and you might be able to hang onto him for a bit less cash long-term. Whereas Roberts, for all the significant downsides he has, will want big bucks that could be more wisely spent elsewhere. We're already spending our 'established star centre' money on Dylan Walker.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
He's in the Mundine camp, maybe with his endorsement he'll bring us $onny-Bill too. Then maybe we'll be gifted the premiership just like the rorters were!!

In that case its a definite hell no on Roberts. We don't need that loud mouthed has-been making negative comments about the club anytime he thinks Roberts is being treated less than the Royalty that Mundine thinks anyone in his family is just so he can get his ugly mug in the paper or on television again.

Last edited:

Snake

Snake's Alive!
Manly fans are the only people in the game that think Kelly is a better player than James Roberts. Manly enquiring about his services tells us that Barrett thinks Roberts would be an upgrade. Bennett wanting to keep him tells me that arguably the greatest coach of all time thinks he is worth something.

I can understand the argument that Kelly is cheaper and less of a liability; I can wear that. But anyone thinking Kelly is a better footballer, is wearing maroon and white coloured glasses. He is a sensational athlete with speed and strength. He is also defending better for the Broncos than Kelly is for the Eagles at present.

Holmsey

Bencher
Manly fans are the only people in the game that think Kelly is a better player than James Roberts. Manly enquiring about his services tells us that Barrett thinks Roberts would be an upgrade. Bennett wanting to keep him tells me that arguably the greatest coach of all time thinks he is worth something.

I can understand the argument that Kelly is cheaper and less of a liability; I can wear that. But anyone thinking Kelly is a better footballer, is wearing maroon and white coloured glasses. He is a sensational athlete with speed and strength. He is also defending better for the Broncos than Kelly is for the Eagles at present.
I dont think Kelly is a better player, i just think he is a better investment for his age, skills, attitude and obvious other abilities. Plus we dont need Roberts, our backline and combos are perfect at the moment and dont need to change to get a spoilt overrated brat. Kelly will be remembered for his hardwork and never giving up, roberts will be remembered for poor attitude and continued off field problems with alcohol. Bennett may have won plenty of premierships but he had it handed to him, Bellamy is a true coach, he built players and a club up. And i highly doubt we are actually after roberts, we have money so anyone is in our sights according to the media.

Snake

Snake's Alive!
I dont think Kelly is a better player, i just think he is a better investment for his age, skills, attitude and obvious other abilities. Plus we dont need Roberts, our backline and combos are perfect at the moment and dont need to change to get a spoilt overrated brat. Kelly will be remembered for his hardwork and never giving up, roberts will be remembered for poor attitude and continued off field problems with alcohol. Bennett may have won plenty of premierships but he had it handed to him, Bellamy is a true coach, he built players and a club up. And i highly doubt we are actually after roberts, we have money so anyone is in our sights according to the media.
We are 100% chasing him...have been for months. You can check my previous mail to know that I don't make things up.

I respect your opinion and as I said, I can understand the opinion that for price and team harmony, Kelly might be a better proposition, but no one will convince me that Kelly is or will be a better footballer than James Roberts...well maybe one day, you can never say never.
I don't agree that Roberts is a poor defender or a footballer with nothing more than speed. Some pretty astute judges would agree with me on that.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Its a damn tough call trying to compare a rookie with potential and willingness against an experienced player who has never tapped into the undeniable world class player he could be....wanted Roberts as a rookie from Souths - is it too late to mould him into a Seaeagle??
I do know 1 thing...would hate to see young Kelly go onto greatness at another club and Roberts come to Manly to play 5-6 blinders and be invisible for the other 20 odd games....Roberts is a huge talent but as shown at a few other clubs - is a rocks or diamond type, who even a personal coach like Bennett can't convince to commit.

The Who

Journey Man
It's simple. The money could be better spent on players in positions where we are relatively weak - such as second row. Our current centre are among the comp's best.
I'd be trying to temp the young Souffs' second rower, Chrighton, over. Pay him overs, if we have to, because this kid is a running backrower with smarts in the mould of Beaver and Bradley Clyde. Get him and our team would be even more dynamic.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
Just on that point.....while true, its also true to say that a few times if the run had been 10 metres longer (often his long runs are about 70 metres at best), he would have been caught.

In the World Club Series against Warrington, Wolves centre Rhys Evans came from the far side of the field and almost ran him down on the line. If he'd been on the same side of the field he would have had him by 20 metres out. And in the game earlier this year against Melbourne when Roberts took an intercept, Addo-Carr was taking metres off him in a 70 metre run. He started about 10 behind (and had to turn and chase) and almost had him on the line. I know carrying the ball slows you down a bit, but Addo-Carr took around 8-9 metres off him and Evans took more than that.

I know that they didn't run him down, but the fact is that both Evans and Addo-Carr showed that "Jimmy the Jet" isn't as fast as some fans and the media make him out to be.

Roberts is fast over the first 40 or 50, probably faster than anyone in top level rugby league over those distances. After that though he starts to die in the arse, its just that usually by then he's gapped his chasers and they've backed right off. But over the full length of the field he's not the fastest in the game.
If he'd been on the same side of the field he would have had him by 20 metres out........
He started about 10 behind (and had to turn and chase) and almost had him on the line........
If .... and almost ....
If my grandmother had balls she would almost be my grandfather
At the end of the day the ifs and almost's didn't stop him from scoring a try .
You are clutching at straws with your poor examples Holden v8 Just like the players trying to run down Roberts are clutching at thin air
The smartest thing you have said Quote
" I know carrying the ball slows you down a bit "

HappilyManly

Journey Man
Roberts' contract needs to be laced with good behaviour clauses, otherwise Manly is just another stepping stone on his self destructive path :confused:

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
Dude, settle down. Nobody is denying Roberts has S-P-E-E-D, it's his penchant for C-O-K-E and being a tool that's the reason people don't want him at Manly.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion as much as you are, even if we don't punctuate everything with random hyphens and weird pictures
You are right yokahontas . Every one is entitled to their opinion and all 24 year olds are entitled to be given time to learn from their mistakes and we have all made plenty
untitled.png

brad

First Grader
David middleton eat your heart out .

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I don't want Roberts but if we got him it would be a brilliant signing. Who cares if he only stays at a club for 2 years? His attribute is extreme speed and he isn't shy to use it.
I suspect if we are chasing Roberts it is without really expecting (or even hoping) to get him, just a strategic chase. ;)

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
13 10 3 97 24
14 10 4 118 22
14 10 4 78 22
13 8 5 66 20
14 8 6 143 18
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
14 7 6 42 17
14 7 7 37 16