Jakes Ball playing

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
@The better Robbo ... you have a point ... in the modern game any tactic over-used becomes one that is prepared for and defended against ... however I think the underlying object of changing the point of attack is a useful one .... but it is probably time for the role to be switched around between other players to keep the defense guessing ....
Watch the play on the wknd where it went a long pass from Fainu to chez, chez straightens and quickly to Walker, walker straightens and quickly to tom, tom then has space to pass to garrick and back inside to suli to score. This was a perfect example of our best ball players linking for a try. Jake is a great ball player but he is not our top 3. It looked so much more crisp with fainus wide ball to chez and our halves linking with Turbo out wide.

Watch the play on the wknd where it went a long pass from Fainu to chez, chez straightens and quickly to Walker, walker straightens and quickly to tom, tom then has space to pass to garrick and back inside to suli to score. This was a perfect example of our best ball players linking for a try. Jake is a great ball player but he is not our top 3. It looked so much more crisp with fainus wide ball to chez and our halves linking with Turbo out wide.

Agree .... the Jake ploy is best used to just shift the point of middle attack one or two defenders wider and disrupt the rushing defense ... not as you say .. the instrement for initiating a broader backline move ...

I like Jakes role but agree needs to be reduced...,
Sometimes less is more
In particular inside the opposition 10m line a factor with a broken down looking attack has been directly from this....the opposition defence laser in on where Jake is set and are on him like bees on a hive
It worked more effectively when used now and then and Tom trailed as an inside option
Could play out, inside or show and go

It might be good to mix things up a little. But I guess it depends on what Des see's as best for the side.

Jake could still be at first receiver sometimes either to take a hit up (which I wish we saw more of) or to distribute the ball. But he could also be there as a dummy for a cut-out pass from dummy half where the ball gets to DCE or Walks quicker to where they could do their thing before the edge defence has had time to move up quickly.

Yep,agree.
Chez is the experienced, elite halfback , that plays like the inexperienced sidekick.
He is supposed to be the player we build a team around, but essentialy we have to build a whole game around accomodating him and his special skills. He is too high maintenenece for me to be honest.

But faark me i heard them say on telly he has the best short kicking game in the game. Farking hoodwinked. At least 50 % hit legs and are nothing kicks. If rebound is a stat he is on top of that list
On here its an excuse athon,
Poor old cherry .
He needs better halves
He is let down my qld, the media,
He doesnt like captain
He needs another 5 kick options
But he is sooooo smart and talks soooo well
The list just goes on and on.
Anyways, that my opinion althought its not for the first time .
Theres alot of truth in what you say... but qld players did lwt him down especially chambers and then mybe in the last game. Your right in saying he plays like a sidekick... walker had alot more touches then dce the last few weeks and dce has been pretty ineffective.. yes 2 try assists both weeks but he could be so much more.. his short kicks are getting better last 2 weeks but i agree he always hits the legs. Dce in his 1st year was at his best... his show and go was amazing his cut out ball to the winger was 1st class and he ran alot more and offloaded alot more.. he doesn't do enough imo for a half back and most expensive player. He needs want the ball more and be at 1st receiver alot more instead of jake. Hes a great player but ye he is rocks and diamonds and has lost that combo with turbo on the right side also... lots of improvement in his game. Lots! Thing with dce is he is a sidekick, when foran was at manly he ran the show no question. Dce just played off the back of him killing it with short side raids then a quick spread over to dces side with the class of lyon and gifty to finish.

Iv honestly thought that walker looked like a more experienced half then dce the last 2 weeks. He knows what hes doing whereas dce looks a bit lost. We are lucky the tigers were very bad and got serious injuries

Theres alot of truth in what you say... but qld players did lwt him down especially chambers and then mybe in the last game. Your right in saying he plays like a sidekick... walker had alot more touches then dce the last few weeks and dce has been pretty ineffective.. yes 2 try assists both weeks but he could be so much more.. his short kicks are getting better last 2 weeks but i agree he always hits the legs. Dce in his 1st year was at his best... his show and go was amazing his cut out ball to the winger was 1st class and he ran alot more and offloaded alot more.. he doesn't do enough imo for a half back and most expensive player. He needs want the ball more and be at 1st receiver alot more instead of jake. Hes a great player but ye he is rocks and diamonds and has lost that combo with turbo on the right side also... lots of improvement in his game. Lots! Thing with dce is he is a sidekick, when foran was at manly he ran the show no question. Dce just played off the back of him killing it with short side raids then a quick spread over to dces side with the class of lyon and gifty to finish.

Iv honestly thought that walker looked like a more experienced half then dce the last 2 weeks. He knows what hes doing whereas dce looks a bit lost. We are lucky the tigers were very bad and got serious injuries
The good news is DC and walker are building nicely
I would prefer Fainu to start,his unpredictability out of the ruck, ducking and weaving then offloading is causing teams problems
Add Dc, jakes and walkers (or our forwards) ball playing off the back of that becomes lethal
Further good news i have noticed is everyone is talking
Joel Thompson and walker have got there edge defensive line working effectively
Definitely a lot more detail to the way they’re defending (dc defensive edge needs work) and attacking,....but we are looking good
Bring on the Raiders

Everyone is a ball player by the sounds of things at Silvertails

If you regularly distribute the ball to other players before the line, you are a ball player. Taupau and AFB offload after contact so they are not ball-players. Jake on the other hand, takes the ball to the line and either cops the hit or uses it out the back or a cheeky ball back inside...it might not be a complex role, but he is a ball player at times.

Everyone is a ball player by the sounds of things at Silvertails so i wont get into the finer details here at the risk of offending another local boy.

Dude, drop the tech coach thing, and be daryl or trevor or whoever you are, and just become one of the herd. You spend too long trying to distinguish yourself as being more knowledgable or some **** and speak modern barrett footy speak . Its just reinventing the wheel.
Just an opinion, you try to be technical but dont seem to get the coachy bit. You know people management

If you regularly distribute the ball to other players before the line, you are a ball player. Taupau and AFB offload after contact so they are not ball-players. Jake on the other hand, takes the ball to the line and either cops the hit or uses it out the back or a cheeky ball back inside...it might not be a complex role, but he is a ball player at times.
Agreed with everything except AFB. He's distributed the ball more than a few times this season and has thrown a few short passes to the other forwards.

You can have/add ball playing elements to your game but i don't classify that as a ballplayer.

Ballplayers tend to have more artistry to their play and are able to create holes and offer new lines to hole runners by the way they hold the ball, the way they angle their body before the point of delivery, the ability to straighten up and get the inside shoulder of defenders turning in and interested, the ability to hold the ball back, to double pump, making face balls look easy when playing flat etc etc.

I just like to make a distinction between a "ball player" and someone who can ball play at times.

Glenn Stewart is more a ball player than Brett Stewart for example.(Brett's high try assist stats relative to his brother in some peoples eyes qualifies him as a ballplayer)

Dude, drop the tech coach thing, and be daryl or trevor or whoever you are, and just become one of the herd. You spend too long trying to distinguish yourself as being more knowledgable or some **** and speak modern barrett footy speak . Its just reinventing the wheel.
Just an opinion, you try to be technical but dont seem to get the coachy bit. You know people management
It's a Rugby League discussion site not a social outing where ones character traits matter.

You read a post and either ignore or relate or reply, offering advice on how one should reply or structures their comments is not necessary and most certainly serves no purpose.

You can have/add ball playing elements to your game but i don't classify that as a ballplayer.

Ballplayers tend to have more artistry to their play and are able to create holes and offer new lines to hole runners by the way they hold the ball, the way they angle their body before the point of delivery, the ability to straighten up and get the inside shoulder of defenders turning in and interested, the ability to hold the ball back, to double pump, making face balls look easy when playing flat etc etc.

I just like to make a distinction between a "ball player" and someone who can ball play at times.

Glenn Stewart is more a ball player than Brett Stewart for example.(Brett's high try assist stats relative to his brother in some peoples eyes qualifies him as a ballplayer)
you are such a punish man.

The reason you are on the nose with so many people is summed up in this post.

How nit picky do you have to be? A guy passes the football and it’s “ball playing elements” not “ball playing” because he doesn’t have enough artistry?

It’s a simple game mate. It’s not a study in semantics. Sure, Jake T is no Andrew Johns with the football, but he doesn’t have to be for someone to ask about his ballplaying...just label it simple or limited...ffs

trbojevicj-try-190825_gt_19.jpg

Jake the ball player :inlove:

Except for Brendan Elliot
Fans are being a little hard on Elliot in regards to not passing the ball and blowing a potential try. Sometimes an open space break leads to more fear of throwing an intercept, the pass is so predictable the defender has nothing to lose and that can make the seemingly simple appear less so.

Elliot has shown some nice footwork at the line and change of speed breaks for his limited time in the squad, i'm sure Silvertails can forgive him for a few poor options surely.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8