Jake and Addin racing the clock to be fit for Rd 1

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Manly have been rocked with Test forwards Jake Trbojevic and Addin Fonua-Blake to miss the entire off-season and opening two games of next season through long-term shoulder injuries.
The Daily Telegraph has been told the high-profile pair will both undergo shoulder surgery today.
Trbojevic and Fonua-Blake will likely miss the opening two matches of next season against NRL heavyweights Melbourne (Lottoland) and Sydney Roosters (Central Coast Stadium).
Manly officials have privately questioned the timing of the Oceania Cup, believing it should have started immediately after the grand final.
The Sea Eagles were never going to stop Trbojevic (Australia) and Fonua-Blake (Tonga) representing their countries.
Losing Trbojevic and Fonua-Blake will severely hamper Manly’s summer and start to the season.
Trbojevic has become one of rugby league’s iron men, playing a minimum of 23 games each season since 2015. He has also played nine State of Origin matches for NSW and seven Tests for Australia since 2016.
Trbojevic and Fonua-Blake played against each other last Saturday when Tonga defeated the Kangaroos 16-12 in Auckland.
Manly face a tough off-season with star players Tom Trbojevic (pectoral), Joel Thompson (arm), Curtis Sironen (broken foot) and Taniela Paseka (medial) recovering for surgeries. Hooker Manase Fainu has a shoulder injury and is also face criminal charges.
That’s about $3.5 million worth of talent on the sidelines throughout the off-season.
The Sea Eagles medical staff is trying to ensure Tom Trbojevic, Sironen, Thompson, Paseka and Fainu are nursed through summer and ready to start the season.
Fainu has been accused of stabbing a 24-year-old man in the back at Wattle Grove on October 25.
Coach Des Hasler visited Fainu in jail on Sunday.
Manly’s forward depth will be stretched heavily over the opening two rounds with the possibility Trbojevic, Fonua-Blake and Fainu will be unavailable.
They will face a Melbourne front line featuring Jesse Bromwich, Nelson Asofa-Solomona, Dale Finucane and Cam Smith in round one before coming up against the Roosters’ Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, Boyd Cordner, Victor Radley and Siosiua Taukeiaho in round two.
All clubs have publicly supported the Oceania Cup but privately expressed fears the event could lead to key injuries.
With Trbojevic injured, it remains uncertain when Manly will formally announce the retention of Jake and brother Tom. While the pair agreed to six-year contract extensions at Manly late last week, the club hasn’t yet officially announced the deals.
Trbojevic, Fonua-Blake, Samoa’s Jorge Taufua and Australia’s Daly Cherry-Evans returned from Test matches in New Zealand on Sunday.

Further to the story we broke on @9NewsSyd about shoulder reconstructions for Jake Trbojevic and Addin Fonua-Blake - been told they had issues with their shoulders for much of the season. Incredible toughness to play through for Manly and at rep level. Wish them well. @9NewsSyd

I doubt that very much. They would have been ruled out straight away. What I did notice was that Addin had none of that heavy tape on his knee that he carried for most the year

What a crap way to start the year !!! We will be missing fainu, jake and AFB who will be next ?

To be honest I think both but especially jake need a spell on the sidelines. I think itll do him the world of good not being punished for sn entire pre season. Give chez a break too, he looks tired!

If there is a positive to come out of it, if there is any game time missed it will be minimal. Plus they will be back at 100% which by the sound of it they potentially weren’t for a portion of the season.

Both jake and Afb match fitness will be a big worry !!! They can still do plenty of fitness training during their rehab BUT match fitness will be the biggest concern

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4