It's about time

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

TokyoEagle

Bencher
Was it just my imagination, or did DCE step up and take more control of the team today. And didn't we look better for it. Great team effort.

Jake: discipline, discipline, discipline.

I'm watching a replay at the moment and they were on.
Yeah we are a rocks and diamonds team but it does come down to the responsibility of the coach to keep them mentally on track.
If you look at the riff with the boring coach they have, despite heaps of injuries they are up.
We are never going to be successful if we give away penalties or make mistakes like we do.
Look at the scum.
Even when they play bad they win.

Was it just my imagination, or did DCE step up and take more control of the team today. And didn't we look better for it. Great team effort.

Jake: discipline, discipline, discipline.
Yep, It started last week when Walker moved to 6. Cherry swapped roles, actually playing more like an actual 7 and doing the steering. Rather than being a 6 or trying to do both and over playing his hand running and not really organising real well.

Unlike 2016, there is a part of me that actually thinks DCE at 7 as an organiser and Walks at 6, could actually really really work this time around. Dont get me wrong. They are still a long way off. Hodgko is still a must for me.

But the last 2 weeks, whilst they both individually look out of place. I actually think it's what both of these stars need. To be rep players perhaps they need that little extra, to be more rounded. Walks is seeing more ball, his last pass and or kick let him down tonight. But if he can improve in those areas, as well as his support play. A Cody Walker style of 6 may not be beyond Dylan after all!

Even out in the centres he probably needs to develop that kick out wide on the run like killer had on demand.

The last 2 games, DCE actually has reminded more like the 2011 version. I think when DCE gets forced to play a more simpler game plan, now just organise, just be the kicker on the last. He still touches the ball more than that, he can't help himself and plays what he sees when it's on. But his run ratio has probably been the best it has been since 2011. And his on field organisation and kicking (whilst still lacking and looking clunky) it has also been noticeably better since the Dylan experiment returned as well.

(this time around) I feel like they would both be much much better players individually, and this team would be much better if they are forced to continue to expand their games in these positions roles.

If I was Trent I'd add Hodgko. But force DCE to be the half at certain times/ games. Move Walks into the 6 during certain times during a game to be more involved develop his kicking game.

It's not their natural thing. But it needs to be. Walks and Cherry in the halves. I am actually now seeing it.

I also think it comes down to the fact that unlike 2016, they now know each others games a lot better even if Walker has spent most of his time at centre. Cherry has spent the best part of last year and this year on the right with Walker and they are more comfortable with each other on the field. And Walker would also be a lot more familiar with the team structures and plays than he was back then. I think he's also a lot more confident player than he was in 2016.

One thing I have noticed. In 2016 when they were the halves, Walks was on the left and Cherry was on the right. The past two weeks they have swapped that around and Walks is now playing on the same side he usually plays centre so seems to be a fair bit more comfortable while Cherry is forming a very good combo with Thommo and Kelly.

I would still prefer we had a 5/8 like Hodkinson which would put Walks back to centre where he's at his best. But for now they seem to have finally worked it out a bit better than they did two years ago. Our last two weeks have seen a marked improvement in our play (dropped balls aside)

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8