Is Weekes the next Gutherson

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
As stated earlier, Weekes could be the successor to DCE, even as early as next year.
I know DCE is signed for a couple more years but the 'Fins could offer him a longer-term contract which would be a wise move for them and for DCE.

Spending big money to sign a 34-year-old for several years doesn't seem like something Wayne Bennett would do.

Also the Dolphins are doing fine at the moment, they won't need to rush into any new signings.

Tricky situation for the club with Weekes, Schuster and Latu, which way they go for the long haul will be interesting.

Weekes off contract along with Humphries this season and Schuster and Latu signed for 2024 and DCE 2025.

Someone will have to move on.

His best chance as a starter would be centre/wing atm, so really hoped he got a shot in Koula's centre position and maybe Parker on that right centre to watch Best, with Weekes to left centre even alternating with Garrick ??
Keep in mind having a quality Mr versatile on the bench is a good thing for us, though maybe not Weekes dream position

Spending big money to sign a 34-year-old for several years doesn't seem like something Wayne Bennett would do.

Also the Dolphins are doing fine at the moment, they won't need to rush into any new signings.
They’ve signed him for the remainder of this season.

Kaeo will get a shot at fullback in origin time and they may even slot him at 7 at origin and put Garrick at back.
Latu great Junior talent but we need to see him against men to make a geniune call. I do believe he on crazy money once he makes first grade and this may factor alot into our cap position moving forward.
Kaeo will get a spot elsewhere at fullback and or 6 it's the nature of the beast. All the way Ivan cleary we lost because of matty Ridge or gutho.
Kaeo spot may be to wait out for 7 for Dce. As Latu is considered a 6 now this is interesting considering Schuster our current one and him and latu managed by same manager.
The other thing our captain still is playing at decent level so I could see him playing for another 5 seasons.

Last edited:
Kaeo will get a shot at fullback in origin time and they may even slot him at 7 as well.
Has Weekes ever played halfback? I know he's played fullback or 5/8 but he seems a running player not an organiser. Can't recall ever seeing him kick, doesn't seem like a big talker either.
Johns will be halfback during Origin surely, and would do a good job.

Has Weekes ever played halfback? I know he's played fullback or 5/8 but he seems a running player not an organiser. Can't recall ever seeing him kick, doesn't seem like a big talker either.
Johns will be halfback during Origin surely, and would do a good job.
Yeah I believe a little not alot. Johns seems best choice and Kaeo at back.

My concern is not so much where to slot him at this stage. Time will find a place for him. Its encouraging him to stay and be patient. He'll be jumping out of his skin for a permanent spot and he'll know other clubs will offer that. Manly need to entice him with enough, not only money, to feel he's got a permanent spot in the side and preferably a spot where he can use his skills. Same happened with Schuster. Same happened but we got it wrong with Gutherson (imagine if we had held that one...centre?)

Kaeo and Koula were fullbacks alot in the lower grades. Weekes also played in the halves alot while Koula was fullback. So he can play halves or fullback quite well. During origin I imagine he will play fullback.. Johns or humphries at 7.

My concern is not so much where to slot him at this stage. Time will find a place for him. Its encouraging him to stay and be patient. He'll be jumping out of his skin for a permanent spot and he'll know other clubs will offer that. Manly need to entice him with enough, not only money, to feel he's got a permanent spot in the side and preferably a spot where he can use his skills. Same happened with Schuster. Same happened but we got it wrong with Gutherson (imagine if we had held that one...centre?)
I missed this, with the focus yesterday on Harper-will-they-or-won't-they (they did), but interesting to see Kaeo retained at 14 and despite Lawton fit again.
Lawton is out completely, back to the reserves.
Quite a strong statement that for now at least Weekes is part of the regular 17 and indeed the spine, he's the back-up dummy half at least. He'll have plenty of opportunity to shine and I expect him to do just that at Mudgee.

Maybe a bit of a catch 22 situation at present also , Other clubs seeing how he can handle i st grade for some extended time on the field and basing some interest from that , Manly most likely trying to keep him and one would assume having even short term re signing as a priority . Probably would or expect to attract most interest as a full back option , maybe West Tigers , Dogs Titans , maybe not and who knows what Kaeo "s actual preference is right now ,Recall again that he played or had some time as a 7 in a 2021 pre season Manly trial and a bit average from reports , not to say he could go so much better there with a bit more experience but one or 6 as his best current positions for sure . Probably should have been given a run with Fletcher - Myers in the centres in the i st Manly trial this season . .

As stated earlier, Weekes could be the successor to DCE, even as early as next year.
I know DCE is signed for a couple more years but the 'Fins could offer him a longer-term contract which would be a wise move for them and for DCE.
Not a wise move for us IMO

I missed this, with the focus yesterday on Harper-will-they-or-won't-they (they did), but interesting to see Kaeo retained at 14 and despite Lawton fit again.
Lawton is out completely, back to the reserves.
Quite a strong statement that for now at least Weekes is part of the regular 17 and indeed the spine, he's the back-up dummy half at least. He'll have plenty of opportunity to shine and I expect him to do just that at Mudgee.
I'll bet that Lawton is a little bit short of his best match fitness - he'll be invaluable when we get more injuries, etc.

Weekes would have to be a grade A crayon eater .... with a certifiable numbnutted window licker for a manager ... to sign any contract Manly offered him at the moment ..

Bear ... this is not about Manly ... the ball and decisions are 100% in Weekes court ...

Of course it is Woodsie. I'm not suggesting otherwise. But what he does depends very much on what Manly or another club do to entice him. Manly have spent years preparing this young kid and he's been one of the true stars of the juniors. Now is his time. Does Manly therefore suddenly drop the ball after such an investment. No wonder Manly got so frustrated with Barrett and Hasler while the club invested in these kids and then watched them being ignored, while pedestrian performers remained entrenched. Weekes will sensibly, I suspect, make the best decision for his future. If Manly fail to sufficiently entice him, only Manly loses. Weekes will do fine.

Of course it is Woodsie. I'm not suggesting otherwise.

Yes you are ... from the thread title ... to every post you have made ... you are definitely inferring that Manly are asleep .... and through their incompetence ... lose the next King Gutho ...

You didn't answer my earlier questions ... try this one

How much do you think Manly would have to offer him to entice him to sign a contract Now ... rather than possibly a year of playing Mr Versatile and filling in at fullback and testing the market at the end of the year ...

I repeat, although I don't know for sure ... I am certainly confident that Manly have been having many discussions with his management ....

It takes two parties to sign a contract ... and in this instant I would say it is Weekes who is saying hold your beers ....

Of course it is Woodsie. I'm not suggesting otherwise. But what he does depends very much on what Manly or another club do to entice him. Manly have spent years preparing this young kid and he's been one of the true stars of the juniors. Now is his time. Does Manly therefore suddenly drop the ball after such an investment. No wonder Manly got so frustrated with Barrett and Hasler while the club invested in these kids and then watched them being ignored, while pedestrian performers remained entrenched. Weekes will sensibly, I suspect, make the best decision for his future. If Manly fail to sufficiently entice him, only Manly loses. Weekes will do fine.
He's clearly in NRL for now as our 14, so he'll be on the field each week and have the opportunity to impress. And I'm sure he will.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4