Is this a possibility?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Blowfly

Reserve Grader
There are people on here that have seen more of Jamil Hopoate than I have so maybe they can answer this?

Last season when the NRL blocked his NRL debut he was lined up to play centre so could he be the reason we haven't gone out all stops to find a new one?

Could Jamil Hopoate slot into Steve Matai's position if he is retiring?

Just a thought but I would like to hear the ideas of those who have seen more of him and could it work?

I have suggested this before Blowfly and Barrett intended him to play in the centre last season when the NRL (rightfully given he hadnt completed his tasks set as condition for re registration) blocked the proposal. I've seen bits and pieces of him and he is the busy type who causes the opposition defence a lot of angst, knows how to get across the try line, has good defence and a reasonable bit of speed. He could well take on a similar role to Matai, though he'd probably need time to adjust his playing style, given he's played most of his junior football in the forwards.

An interesting point was that several years ago when he was only 16, he was selected in the trial hybrid Rugby League-Rugby Union game tested with a group of I think lower grade players League and Union at Brookvale Oval. He was apparently one of the standout performers. Personally I would like an established centre such as Whare in the centre with Walker and bring Hopoate in as a forward on the bench to start. The idea of him playing centre would only be if we couldnt get a standout to come to the club.

Hope he at least gets a shot there could be a masterstoke. I also like him as a utility off the bench.

To be honest, it could work as Hopoate offers a similar style to Peachey at Penrith - well both are pure footballers - not robots....
Difference is Hoppa offers more power and though good agility, not as nimble as Peach.
Personally think he is a better option as a forward, but no doubt could fill in out wide better than some of the players we had in 2016....smart option, but Hopoate would be more creative and cause more headaches against the tiring opposition forwards at this stage...

I was thinking the same a couple of days ago!! Then I started to think that Taufua could also make a reasonable Center?? He's definitely got the punch to make inroads, has reasonable speed, doesn't have to take bombs & his defense....well we've seen how hard he can hit! That would give Hopoate an opportunity to come off the bench as a utility instead of Brown. Slaimankhel I think would do a good job on the wing.......Tom T, Slaimankhel, Walker, Taufua, Uate, Green, DCE........just a thought. I'm trying to psych myself up for next year after reading all the pessimistic comments in here!!!

I know Manly needs a bit more punch in the forwards ...... but now having hoppa, Meehan and lussick in the team is now taking it a bit far!

I think Hoppa takes Lewis Brown's utility role away from him after a few games and we will never look back unless injuries. Hoppa is the utility like peachy but maybe a touch tougher…in terms of centre i would put this Omar Slamin in early and give him a shot at it. He is fast, elusive and has a very good fend.

Would love to see this in 2017..

Turbo
Uate
Walker
Omar
Jorge
Green
DCE
Darcy
Parcell
AFB
Marty
Jake
Lawrence

Hoppa
Meehan
Myles
Lane

I think Hoppa takes Lewis Brown's utility role away from him after a few games and we will never look back unless injuries. Hoppa is the utility like peachy but maybe a touch tougher…in terms of centre i would put this Omar Slamin in early and give him a shot at it. He is fast, elusive and has a very good fend.

Would love to see this in 2017..

Turbo
Uate
Walker
Omar
Jorge
Green
DCE
Darcy
Parcell
AFB
Marty
Jake
Lawrence

Hoppa
Meehan
Myles
Lane

I like your side Mac. My only reservation is on the bench. I think having Koriosau there covers both backs and forwards if an injury occurs. Probably instead of Myles or Lane. I'll also be interested in Sironen and Bainbridge, the first early on, the second a little later in the year in firsts

01. Tom Trbojevic
02. Jorge Taufua
03. XXXXXXXXXXX
04. Dylan Walker
05. Akuila Uate
06. Blake Green
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Darcy Lussick
09. Matt Parcell
10. Addin Fanua-Blake
11. Marty Taupau
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Lewis Brown
15. Brenton Lawrence
16. Nate Myles
17. Shaun Lane

The centre position to go to either a new recruit, Locke, Schleimankel, Wright, Matai (if not retired). If we could slot Dean Whare there, that's a solid team (question marks are Myles, Lawrence on the bench).

01. Locke / Omar
02. Jorge Taufua
03. Tom Trbojevic ( Centre problem solved )
04. Dylan Walker
05. Akuila Uate
06. Blake Green
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Darcy Lussick
09. Matt Parcell
10. Addin Fanua-Blake
11. Marty Taupau
12. Shaun Lane ( was devastating in the s/row for the dogs )
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Curtis Sironen ( can play in the forwards and backs )
15. Brenton Lawrence
16. Nate Myles
17. Meehan

Last edited:
we do have a few back options

Backs available

Tom Trbojevic

Jorge Taufua

Dylan Walker

Akuila Uate

Brad Parker

Omar Slaimankhel

Tom Wright

Jono Wright

Matthew Wright

Jamil Hopoate

John Sila

Kevin Locke

Saia Tanginoa

and I didn't even include Lewis Brown :rolleyes:

01. Locke / Omar
02. Jorge Taufua
04. Dylan Walker
05. Akuila Uate
06. Blake Green
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Darcy Lussick
09. Matt Parcell
10. Addin Fanua-Blake
11. Marty Taupau
12. Shaun Lane ( was devastating in the s/row of the dogs )
13. Jake Trbojevic

15. Brenton Lawrence
16. Nate Myles
17. Meehan

Hmmm, very interesting - and very good to look at tbh. Bonus is Lewis Brown is down, but in the event Parcell gets injured (and we KNOW he gets injured often), who slots in at hooker?

We've been so lucky to have been blessed with 2 off the best attacking and defensive centres in the game. So i've probably become a little spoiled.

At times I've seen Dylan Walker drop off in defense but to his credit he did a good job of tackling Inglis in the SOO.
I love to watch classy fast running backs but it's only half the job if they can't muscle up when the heat is on.
I like the Whare, Parker, Hopoate idea.

Hmmm, very interesting - and very good to look at tbh. Bonus is Lewis Brown is down, but in the event Parcell gets injured (and we KNOW he gets injured often), who slots in at hooker?

Api

01. Locke / Omar
02. Jorge Taufua
04. Dylan Walker
05. Akuila Uate
06. Blake Green
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Darcy Lussick
09. Matt Parcell
10. Addin Fanua-Blake
11. Marty Taupau
12. Shaun Lane ( was devastating in the s/row of the dogs )
13. Jake Trbojevic

15. Brenton Lawrence
16. Nate Myles
17. Meehan

If Locke can get back to his unpredictable, devastating best that option could be very exciting Bozo.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 4 4 -60 8