Is the game better ( or worse) after all the changes

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I was inspired by a comment from @The Who to create this new thread , and I’m sure we had one like this earlier in the year but now we are about half way through so I thought I’d ask it again.

So are we better off after the rule changes / single referee or are we worse off.

For me we are better off BUT there’s some downsides including how much more a ref can influence a game with a string of ( at times debatable ) 6 agains.

The 6 agains were introduced to speed up the game and that has worked , however the major downside to this is massive blowout scores .

We have had a couple of high quality very close games and the common thread is , very few 6 agains called.

So, what are your thoughts on wether we are better or worse off ??

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I like the rule changes but the problem with the NRL is inconsistent refereeing. The 6 again is just another tool in the referee's arsenal for shaping the flow of a match. There needs to be greater accountability for referees.

The trouble is if you are involved in the game you’ve been a fan at some stage , or you’ve played for a club or clubs, or more closely involved with a specific club.

We all see the bias in the commentators so you can’t tell me it doesn’t happen at a referee level.

Im not sure how ( or even if) you can eradicate it.

Ron E. Gibbs

First Grader
Single ref, great. Six again restarts, theoretically great, horrible in practice - no time to stop and explain anything, hence the single ref has even more power over the outcome of a game than ever before. The captain's challenge I like a lot.
Mostly, what the changes have done is highlight the differences in quality between many of the teams, resulting in blowout after blowout. Some teams have been quicker to adjust and some teams are just plain better than others. Guess it's up to the teams who have struggled (including us of late) to raise their games, but it might take a season or two to sort itself out.

With the 6 again, why should an infringement on the 5th tackle (resulting in a total of 11 tackles) be worth more than an infringement on the 1st (resulting in a total of 7 tackles)?
Because of this, we invariably see players holding down on the 1st or 2nd tackles.

Why not simply add a number of tackles (say 4) to the current tackle count whatever it may be?

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Single ref, great. Six again restarts, theoretically great, horrible in practice - no time to stop and explain anything, hence the single ref has even more power over the outcome of a game than ever before. The captain's challenge I like a lot.
Mostly, what the changes have done is highlight the differences in quality between many of the teams, resulting in blowout after blowout. Some teams have been quicker to adjust and some teams are just plain better than others. Guess it's up to the teams who have struggled (including us of late) to raise their games, but it might take a season or two to sort itself out.
I think of course most teams set themselves up for old rules types of players and got caught out , some badly.

Teams such as the Eels and the Panthers possibly might not be doing as well under the old rules.

It’s why we’ve seen the Rabbits and the Roosters struggle a bit.

Sadly the bloody Drizzle just seem to adapt , and quickly.

manlyfan76

There is no A.I. Just better computers
Instead of six again it should be "7 tackle set" six more is too much.
Other than that it's better ATM.
What happens over the next two seasons when recruitment catches up with the game will be interesting.

KNUCKLES

Bencher
The trouble is if you are involved in the game you’ve been a fan at some stage , or you’ve played for a club or clubs, or more closely involved with a specific club.

We all see the bias in the commentators so you can’t tell me it doesn’t happen at a referee level.

Im not sure how ( or even if) you can eradicate it.
Your right.. you can't eradicate it..
It's human nature..
Ppl take care of their own before others...
Ppl take care of their children before others..
Ppl sleep with their mrs before....
You get the point haha

susan

Bencher
Better than before easily
Don’t think it will stop best side winning comp and much more entertaining
Injuries for the top 6 or 7 sides decides comp

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Better than before easily
Don’t think it will stop best side winning comp and much more entertaining
Injuries for the top 6 or 7 sides decides comp
Agree on the injuries but you’d have to say some sides have clearly adapted to the new rules better than others ( maybe it’s the type of players they have?).

Ranga

Bencher
Tipping Member
I don’t mind the one ref, but reckon they rely more than ever on their ‘tip sheet’.

Not sold on 6 again. Too much reliance on which side the bed the ref wakes up on. I think I would have preferred they trial different approaches to solve the issue first - Eg, a 5 min sin bin for consecutive penalties in your defensive 20m; mandatory sin bin for a team’s 5th penalty in a half. To introduce a fundamental new rule mid season without trialing it is not the way a professional comp should be run in my view.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I don’t mind the one ref, but reckon they rely more than ever on their ‘tip sheet’.

Not sold on 6 again. Too much reliance on which side the bed the ref wakes up on. I think I would have preferred they trial different approaches to solve the issue first - Eg, a 5 min sin bin for consecutive penalties in your defensive 20m; mandatory sin bin for a team’s 5th penalty in a half. To introduce a fundamental new rule mid season without trialing it is not the way a professional comp should be run in my view.
It’s certainly turned the game on it’s head .

I quite like the 6 again rule BUT it’s way open to different refs different rulings and as we’ve seen can create some absolute blow out scores.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
100% better to watch

I don’t buy into the theory of more blowout scores because of it, we have more blowout scores because there are more woeful teams than there have been for years

Teams can display ticker and stay in the contest if they are good enough despite all the play against them, us v the Eels earlier this year is an example of that

susan

Bencher
One thing I do know is if Greenberg didn’t **** our contract with Mitchell Pearce we would be winning a comp. Perfect combination at club level.

Ranga

Bencher
Tipping Member
One thing I do know is if Greenberg didn’t **** our contract with Mitchell Pearce we would be winning a comp. Perfect combination at club level.
I still haven’t got over that witch hunt and I don’t think I will, @ Susan. Parra breach the cap through fraud perpetrated by one of Todd’s mates (Seward), and the NRL works backwards to get them competitive again. Manly are deemed to breach the cap because of ambiguity in TPA rules and we get multiple year punishments. I’ve said it before, but that witch hunt was personal for Todd, and in my view it’s because he thought he would get some of Manly’s stars to the dogs, only for Manly to hold on to them.

I’m so glad he is gone. It’s why even though I don’t like the 6 again rule, I will accept it because I believe the change came from a good intention. Unlike anything Todd ever did.

KNUCKLES

Bencher
So back to the topic of people showing favouritism, the call last night on the waqa Blake try was apparently made by none other than a ex backrower who played under Arthur. Beau scott.. human nature strikes again.. may as well have toby Allen in the bunker..
P.s i just don't get how an ex eel player can officiate an eels game?? Also no ex player should be able to ref.. prime eg perenara his bias toward st George was obvious yesterday

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
14 11 3 103 26
14 10 4 118 24
14 10 4 78 24
15 9 6 161 20
14 8 6 60 20
14 7 7 63 18
14 7 7 37 18
15 8 7 -8 18
14 7 7 -50 18