is the end of era?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

winnyason

Bencher
Given our forward stocks leaving made 4 gfs and won 2 nine finals in a row. we desperatly need injection of youth in forwards this is the telling factor.
King, gifty, choc, matty ballin all not getting any younger, lawerance revelation.
Horo is solid but long term need tommy symonds to kick on or chee kam to play to wraps. up front king must step up.
Our big plus is having the best 7 in game and 6.
What does everyone think has our window closed or will we be back bigger and better?

Its true that we need an injection of youth and size in our pack. We have the spine to win things. I see Hiku and Gutherson coming into the back line and I think we have some great young forwards to really step up in 2014

Bigger and better... but in a couple of years when our back line is decimated by retirements we will be up against it for sure.

I'm hopeful that Turbo, Hasson and Gower will step up. I don't know about Bj as a leader yet but hopefully King will be around and healthy to mitigate that out.

Don't forget, this time last year we knew not of Horo, Lawrence, Symonds, so who knows what might be?
I have faith in our recruitment and coaching staff.

We still have DCE, Foran, Tafua, Wolf and Lawrence in their primes (Symonds, Horo, Buhrer too), and at least 2-3 good more years left for Lyon, Matai, Watmough, Stewart bros and Ballin. However, I feel without some new forwards injections in the front row we will struggle next year, it's very difficult to lose Joe, Kite and Rose without any replacements. We haven't bought a top forward since 2006 (Kite).

Bloody hell, I'm sick of reading about this end of era crap...it's been going on for years & we keep sticking it up the knockers by making finals & grand finals.

I think we need a couple of players to step up if we are to have a crack again next year = eg one of two Forwards but I am with the rest that we have apparently been on the downhill slide for the last few years and we always seem to put our best foot forward.

Top 4 again for sure in 2014 IMO, look at the rest;

Roosters - no SBW, will still be up there but he was the X Factor
Souffs - have lost a heap of players, will still be strong but not as strong
Storm - Big 3 another year older, but will compete
Sharks - ASADA outcome a massive unknown but will be strong you would think.
Dogs - No Barba no dogs I am afraid for Des
Knights - will compete but an old roster no better than this year
Cowboys - new coach could improve
Warriors - who knows what they will have in store for 2014, could be premiers or spooners
Riff - seem to have bought well except for Soward, could be on the improve to top 6
Raiders - Ricky Stuart, probably his final chance to silence his knockers and what a great job he did on Parra might I say. Not sure where they will finish with Ricky in charge but def not Top 4
The rest you can probably forget as well

We've been losing 3-4 first graders for the last half decade and each time it's a case of asking 'has our time finished'. And here we are barely 24hrs out of yet another GF, one that few outside the fans would have backed for a fair part of the season.

The best part of the year is hearing how easily Horo, Symonds and Lawrence bought into the club culture and brought out their best. Now with some real talent coming through our development paths, we are well positioned to have almost the entire squad rested and prepped for a big 2014.

I can't wait!!!!

We have signed three younger props. Starling, lui and Andrews who looks a clone of Lawrence. Plus Trobj and Sao coming through and hopefully a fit Jason King. Think we did well this year losing two of our top four props early on plus Richie for a long period. Plenty of depth in the back row as well. Choc, Gift, Horo, JB, Symonds, Hasson and hopefully a fit Chee Kam.

i dont think so. We have some great talent coming through the ranks and if we can keep our halves we will still go strong for years to come.

Crusher_Cleal said:
We still have DCE, Foran, Tafua, Wolf and Lawrence in their primes (Symonds, Horo, Buhrer too), and at least 2-3 good more years left for Lyon, Matai, Watmough, Stewart bros and Ballin. However, I feel without some new forwards injections in the front row we will struggle next year, it's very difficult to lose Joe, Kite and Rose without any replacements. We haven't bought a top forward since 2006 (Kite).

Kite's first year at Manly was 2005.

Yes we are not a club like the Goosters, once in a blue moon success followed by years of mediocrity, with the odd spoon thrown in.

Manly is always competetive, so our era spans all the decades from 1947 and to the future.

Being the only group of Fans who have the privilege of celebrating a Premiership in each and every decade since the 1970s, we are always in a Manly era :angel:

That is why I would never blame a loss on such a dedicated Team, who give their all, but are human beings with limitations :angel:

2-3 years time may be end of an era, but not yet.. and i doubt not then either. i daresay the powers that be are looking far ahead when a handful of big names may retire at once..

even before last night's howler, i think wolfy may have played his last game for us... we are very well stocked in young guns behind him and i think he may get a 3 year offer elsewhere we won't match and wouldn't blame him for taking up.

our recruitment and behind the scenes team have done a stellar job so far, and i think we are very well stocked for the future.

As an aside we bought Josh Perry in 2008 who at that time ha played for nsw at least

End of an Era?? F*** no!

I don't see any team currently that are looking dominant. (Like say when the Drags dominated in 09/10, or the Storm).

Anyone concerned about it should look to the start of the year when we got Horo, Symonds, Richie and Lawrence. I for one was thinking.....mmmm ok....where's the game breaker?

These guys are only going to get better.

2014 will be 5 GF in 8 years and 3 Premierships in 7 years!

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8