Is Taufua a centre option?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Watching Taufua at Blacktown last year playing centre he seemed better suited to centre than wing! Can he be another Matai type centre in Manly colours? He was certainly impressive from what I seen and was clearly a standout. What surprised most was his silky skills and ability to put away his winger. We don't really have much depth with the loss of Suli and Funa so could Taufua see some game time at centre? I think his days on the wing are gone but could be reinvented as a centre?
We have Tuipulotu, Koula and Taufua as our only outside back depth so its sure to be tested at some time during the year. I think all 3 would be exciting to see named in the 17.

Watching Taufua at Blacktown last year playing centre he seemed better suited to centre than wing! Can he be another Matai type centre in Manly colours? He was certainly impressive from what I seen and was clearly a standout. What surprised most was his silky skills and ability to put away his winger. We don't really have much depth with the loss of Suli and Funa so could Taufua see some game time at centre? I think his days on the wing are gone but could be reinvented as a centre?
We have Tuipulotu, Koula and Taufua as our only outside back depth so its sure to be tested at some time during the year. I think all 3 would be exciting to see named in the 17.
I am not a fan of Comfort zones

No one should own their position as every one is only as good as their last game.

Competition brings out the best in a player and in a team

Taufua is capable , Tuipuloto has potential and Koula has the world at his speedy feet

Not a chance. If his days as an NRL Winger are gone... not a chance he can then change position and suddenly become an NRL quality Centre even as a back up. A greater focus on defence reads is required as a Centre. If Harpoer was having trouble later in the season - Taufua out there would be a nightmare.

Not a chance. If his days as an NRL Winger are gone... not a chance he can then change position and suddenly become an NRL quality Centre even as a back up. A greater focus on defence reads is required as a Centre. If Harpoer was having trouble later in the season - Taufua out there would be a nightmare.
So who do you put there? Tuipulotu is an obvious choice but outside him we have:
A 19 yr old rookie in Koula? Or push one of our backrowers out there? This is my point, we are so thin in depth out there! God help us if we lose Turbo and a couple others from our backline at any stage.

So who do you put there? Tuipulotu is an obvious choice but outside him we have:
A 19 yr old rookie in Koula? Or push one of our backrowers out there? This is my point, we are so thin in depth out there! God help us if we lose Turbo and a couple others from our backline at any stage.
We will bring in two backs soon I gather one will be a Centre - and Walker is cover there as well.

We will bring in two backs soon I gather one will be a Centre - and Walker is cover there as well.
Hope you're right. Even including Walker, we are definitely an outside back short. Someone like a Corey Allen at a decent price would be worth chasing. Can cover centre, wing and fullback. Doggies need to let a couple go too.

Last edited:
I would not say definitively no until you could see how his defence would hold up at the higher level but he brings a bit to the attack from what he showed last year.
I think (just my opinion)they will promote Weekes to an NRL contract before the season begins and I think the club is still chasing Fletcher Myers so that might be a chance of happening.....
The 30th spot in the roster will probably be kept open for as long as possible to allow Fainu every chance to be back next year.
Viliami Fifita is possibly going to get a development contract which would leave one development contract open if they choose to use it or wait and see how the season progresses.
I just have a feeling that the club is going to roll the dice on a couple of rookie backs if the need arises.

I would not say definitively no until you could see how his defence would hold up at the higher level but he brings a bit to the attack from what he showed last year.
I think (just my opinion)they will promote Weekes to an NRL contract before the season begins and I think the club is still chasing Fletcher Myers so that might be a chance of happening.....
The 30th spot in the roster will probably be kept open for as long as possible to allow Fainu every chance to be back next year.
Viliami Fifita is possibly going to get a development contract which would leave one development contract open if they choose to use it or wait and see how the season progresses.
I just have a feeling that the club is going to roll the dice on a couple of rookie backs if the need arises.
I like that Fletcher Myers. He would be a great addition, looks a massive talent and even though he's young, much like Koula I reckon both could handle 1st grade next year.
Taufua
Tuipulotu
Koula
Myers
Starts to look like decent depth especially when you have Walker aswell.

I wasn't a massive fan of Weekes in the halves but hopefully he can develop into a fullback and could be a smokey as a back up option.

Be interesting to know of the reasoning for the club to keep Jorge , maybe they still see him as i st grade winger standard [ just ] and on a minimum type deal . Obviously did come to Manly as a junior centre - winger prospect but would have been a big enough challenge for him to nail down a centre spot then and even more so now .

Hope you're right. Even including Walker, we are definitely an outside back short. Someone like a Corey Allen at a decent price would be worth chasing. Can cover centre, wing and fullback. Doggies need to let a couple go too.
yep he would be good - we will pick up two plus we have Tippytoes and hopefully he grows and improves over the off season but he needs some significant improvement all because of COVID shutting down the opportunity for younger/fringe players to get on the paddock

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2