Is NOW the time to play Rookies?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Not a debate about Trent's team choices.
Just interested in the Best way to play out 2018.
Fainu has the Green light which is great news.
Should there be a push for Jade Anderson to make a claim for a badly needed wing spot ?
Should Tom Wright be starting - why is he not ?
The young centre Funa - would it be of use if he is in future plans to get a start ?
Personally feel its in the best long term interest to play as many as possibly available, as would prefer to see young guns with potential, who are being looked upon as future Manly players for years to come.
The ladder does not look great for a final 8 campaign, so at least the chance for these youngsters to compete can only be beneficial for 2019 and beyond.
I do understand there are road blocks as the wait for Fainu demonstrated, was Funa was a Top 30 player ?, Wright obviously is and Jade Anderson...well there may be a way to slip him in on top of this latest Uate injury.

To me it doesn't do any good throwing bulk rookies into a team. Getting Flogged doesn't help anyone.

Pick and chose maybe 2? I'd have Jade Anderson and Tom Wright on the wings just for the exposure.

They could not be any worse than Uate has been recently.

It will be a balancing act. But safe to assume the club will try and give those development players some game time before the seasons done.

What pisses me off is that we have invested a couple of years into developing players like Kelly, Lane, Hastings.

If we can't retain the ones we want to keep. Then the club might as well be just playing in the Intrust super comp.

You cant just pick up kids every two years.

The kids need some experience in the squad, but experience and cheap dont always go hand in hand.

Alls i know is Parra discards seems like an even further step backwards.

And all of the players Bozo brought in as our future now are either gone or on the chopping block.

The thing that concerns me the most, I don't believe this club even has the stability to know what direction it wants this team to go in right now. It's hard for us to get behind the club and support it, when the road map is a goat track that just goes in a circle.

Fainu seems to already have a spot while Api is absent. Tom Wright should have been a permanent in the side long ago. Anderson is a rising wing/full back star. Yes I would ensure these three get as much game time this year as possible. They would bring enthusiasm to a side that looks stale and pedestrian. And it prepares them for 2019. Absolutely I would have these three in the top grade. They are more likely to ensure we avoid the spoon than some of the players Barrett keeps using over and again with no serious gain. Barrett is quite myopic and I think a little shell shocked. Keeps hoping those he is losing at the end of this year will come good. Hasn't worked up to now but Barrett is a record stuck in a crack.

Fair call - I reckon some of these rookies would probably give us less chance of the spoon than the more experienced fill ins....but that's just opinion
Key point is how many are allowed. According to the NRL - it's zero for us unless we release at least 5 guys or something like that...

Not a debate about Trent's team choices.
Just interested in the Best way to play out 2018.
Fainu has the Green light which is great news.
Should there be a push for Jade Anderson to make a claim for a badly needed wing spot ?
Should Tom Wright be starting - why is he not ?
The young centre Funa - would it be of use if he is in future plans to get a start ?
Personally feel its in the best long term interest to play as many as possibly available, as would prefer to see young guns with potential, who are being looked upon as future Manly players for years to come.
The ladder does not look great for a final 8 campaign, so at least the chance for these youngsters to compete can only be beneficial for 2019 and beyond.
I do understand there are road blocks as the wait for Fainu demonstrated, was Funa was a Top 30 player ?, Wright obviously is and Jade Anderson...well there may be a way to slip him in on top of this latest Uate injury.
Our Season is done so lets have a bit of fun . Time to play strip poker . Time to blood in our up and coming young talent and see what they can offer us .

We really need to give them a go now. When else do you get 10 or so rounds with no meaning to really let them get used to first grade and hit the ground running next year. Also if they are no good then we know who to target for next season.

Why go buy a 5/8 if Tom Wright kills it? why go buy a winger on 500k if Anderson kills. They wont do any worse than the players they are replacing. Is playing Anderson really going to cost us as opposed to playing Matthew Wright? Please. Same with T Wright..and Hodkinson. Really wont make that much of a difference.. if anything they will improve on the older average player.

Bring it on i say. Lets see what they can do. Paseka Kelly Addin etc have been our best players and their our younger ones. DCE Uate etc have been the disappointing ones. Your good enough your old enough.

I agree with you feathered friend . We have not been winning with the slow and predictable Matt Wrights in the team and if we don't make changes nothing will change .
It seems stupid that we don't try something different..... but that's us in 2018. #iampunchy#sackbarrett

Funa is top 30 so he is eligible to play FG, Ando isn't unless somebody leaves before june 30 so he can take their spot. Fainu has not been given an exemption to replace Api, he has been upgraded to the 30 in Hastings' spot. T Wright should be in the weekly 17 for the remainder of the season.

I think the only way anyone else will get a chance will be if we lose 2 halves, then either Metcalf, Cust or Joey may get an exemption to play FG

Sheite yeah... Baz can claim he has blooded new boys in an attempt to justify our position on the ladder.

Can hear it now...It's all about building for next year. This year was always going to be hard but we can have confidence going forward bla bla bla...

This is most certainly the right time to blood the young players and give them the much needed experience that they need and time to be brave and replace the guys who are not going to be re-signed and persist with the young players as this is all about our future. My fear is Barrett will continue to pick safe players and our results will not improve as a result!

Here's why Barrett has shtall idea and never will. He goes out and buys deadwood Hodkinson into the 30 list while we have no backup hooker to Api. Meanwhile we have a young gun with heaps of potential Tom W and don't try him. Then when we finally realise that Dogkinson is no fuking good and give Tom W a go who scores a scintillating try against the best defense in the league we then drop him out.

Losing can become a habit and hurt young players confidence if they aren't carefully introduced. The best way to introduce young players is obviously in strong teams with good leadership and experience that are winning games so they can see what is required to operate at that level. If you throw in a NSW Cup or junior team they will lose, learn little from the experience and potentially get caught in poor habits. Also known as the Parramatta effect.

Losing can become a habit and hurt young players confidence if they aren't carefully introduced. The best way to introduce young players is obviously in strong teams with good leadership and experience that are winning games so they can see what is required to operate at that level. If you throw in a NSW Cup or junior team they will lose, learn little from the experience and potentially get caught in poor habits. Also known as the Parramatta effect.

Thing is Tomay, Parra don't promote their juniors, at least not enough. last time they did it effectively was in the early 80s and ended up winning their first premierships because the players chose to stick together and play for each other. These days Parra pinches players all over the place and ignores their juniors. That's why we've got several in our junior teams now. If you have juniors worth a chance in first grade, you need to get them in there quick, otherwise they will look elsewhere. That is why Parra has failed for so long. We don't want to be like Canterbury and lose Thurston or North Queensland and lose Ponga. Delay promotion and they are gone.

Here's why Barrett has shtall idea and never will. He goes out and buys deadwood Hodkinson into the 30 list while we have no backup hooker to Api. Meanwhile we have a young gun with heaps of potential Tom W and don't try him. Then when we finally realise that Dogkinson is no fuking good and give Tom W a go who scores a scintillating try against the best defense in the league we then drop him out.
The non-selection of Tom Wright, totally baffles me. Barrett has shown no ambition with his selections and continues to go with negative selections designed to limit the damage on games rather than giving new blood a chance to get experience and forge their own history!!

To me it doesn't do any good throwing bulk rookies into a team. Getting Flogged doesn't help anyone.

Pick and chose maybe 2? I'd have Jade Anderson and Tom Wright on the wings just for the exposure.

They could not be any worse than Uate has been recently.

exactly right.

We have blooded a few throughout the year (Wright, Paseka, Sipley and about to be Fainu) but already have the least experienced squad in the NRL and experience is one of the major things hurting us right now.

Chuck them all in and you get a 3 year wooden spoon bender like Newcastle.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8