Is NOW the time to play Rookies?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Woodsie I'm not disputing that there are those that wont make it and those that will. And it may take time for them to develop, like Knight. But do you think his experience and the experience of others promoted when young to firsts was a negative for them? Absolutely not. It gave them the taste they needed. Knight fell for a time...for other reasons mind you...but he knew what first grade meant after a taste. Players raise to the next level when promoted. Just looking at Tom Wright in the only two games he has played in firsts. On both occasions he showed a game superior to what he has been showing in reserves. Players play to the level they are selected in. Some cant reach the higher level at all, some take time, some fit like a glove. Watching Tom Wright you could see he was made for first grade. He's got a lot to learn but his enthusiasm showed he wanted to be there. Send him back to reserves now is just wasting his talent.

Agree with almost everything you say ..... my opinion is simply that people are different .... mature (mentally) at different ages independent of physical stature ....... Tom may have been ready 3 months ago ... maybe not ... I just think the best judges are those that have spent 6 days a week for 3 years talking to the bloke.

Would he have been as confident? I just think the transition from schoolboy rugby star to first grade Rugby League player has been a deliberate and measured journey .... one that to date has been successful .... and I look forward to him getting more and more involved

For all we know it has been Tom himself expressing uncertainty ..... which is just as valid and probably more likely than the people saying things like Baz "refuses" to pick him ...

Anyway old mate .... he has been blooded and his time is nigh ....I know we both wish him every success ...

I've seen Tom Wright play a couple of times and he was barely sighted.
There is a lot more to being ready for first grade than simply to be physically ready, and I'm not even talking about mental toughness, in Tom's case I think it is about understanding the game and how to utilise his talents. Everyone knows what he can do with a little bit of space.
Having said all that, I assumed he'd stay in our 17 after he scored that special try - and I still think he will be in our 17 even though he wasn't picked earlier in the week! Time will tell I suppose.

Woodsie its unfortunate that our juniors are coming through with an inexperienced coach who seems to be struggling with his own issues. I've been pretty negative about Trent recently and perhaps a little unfairly. Taking the reins at Manly in recent years would even make a top experienced coach shudder. Its made him very conservative on one level and seemingly knee jerking on another. Like Nathan Brown found when he started at Saints many years back, you've got to apparently keep some distance between you and the players and understand this is a business. You have to be seen to be in control and make decisions logically and dispassionately, to know when to stand firm and when to take risks. I think Barrett at present seems shell shocked and is just holding on by playing it conservatively, thereby missing opportunities to bring players in when its the right time, not just because of injuries. And then there are the strategies. Like Tom he seems to have a lot to learn and perhaps for young players this is not a good environment.

I've seen Tom Wright play a couple of times and he was barely sighted.
There is a lot more to being ready for first grade than simply to be physically ready, and I'm not even talking about mental toughness, in Tom's case I think it is about understanding the game and how to utilise his talents. Everyone knows what he can do with a little bit of space.
Having said all that, I assumed he'd stay in our 17 after he scored that special try - and I still think he will be in our 17 even though he wasn't picked earlier in the week! Time will tell I suppose.

Agreed. He had a tendency to lose involvement in lower grades. But what we've seen in first grade suggests his enthusiasm for the role is much higher. he went out of his way to stay involved in that game against the Saints, despite the ball too often heading away from him owing to the teams tendency to play consistently to the left by Hodko, DEC and Tom T.

Turbo, Parker , Kelly, Tom Wright, Tanginoa, Paseka, Sipley, Fainu, Gosjiewski, not enough juniors for us all ????
Youngest squad in the comp. Give it time but we need the right coach.

I agree they appear to be all inexperienced Mick, but not completely the case....

Kelly is in his 2nd year in Top grade and Tom in his 3rd year.
Tanginoa & Jetski are both 24.
Fainu yet to play though look forward to his debut Sat.
Wright proved he can step up with a good display including a sensational try against Illawarra.
Paseka is a man mountain but was happy to see him eased into top grade as a forward which is far more testing than a Rookie back.

Only others to consider would be Anderson or maybe Funa....as these are 2 future Top line players imo....not just plucking out young players to throw in the deep end as agreed, could kill their futures in NRL.

As for already having an Inexperienced team - 100% agree and would prefer more players with more games...but pickings are slim at best atm.
Thing is I weigh up (some) of the more experienced players we have continued to pick and feel a few of these youngsters with minimal experience, but far more potential would add enthusiasm and more to the team across the board...again just an old boy on the lounge drink in hand, with an opinion that has cases both ways.

Can someone explain to me that , when you have the youngest team in the league, you can be critisised for not introducing more youth

Can someone explain to me that , when you have the youngest team in the league, you can be critisised for not introducing more youth

Personally not knocking how young or old a team is - the debate is more about better results, just happens to be the players who could add some spark happen to be youngsters....if we had a reserve grade of first grade standard players like some other teams with experience...would be a no brainer - we don't.

In fact the best Manly players we have as options at this point are Rookies with Huge potential, aside of the team we have run out so far this season and if fans are happy with how these more experienced players are performing the answer would be - keep selecting the same team for the same result.

Also will bringing a player with potential into a struggling team be detrimental to them long term and IS a fair point - there's no perfect answer, just opinion.

Turbo x 2 , Walker, DCE, Taupau, Api. These guys are stars and rep players. If you can't build a decent top 8 team around that then you aren't an nrl quality coach. I bet any of the top 6 coaches would be doing a lot more with this squad than current coaching is

What if we still lose and play worse?
Tbh mate - Could still lose like we have been or improve - certainly no guaranteed wins on the back of some new inclusions, but feel for differing reasons will at least match recent form.
Also think the opportunity would add energy to a team looking tired and the players to be replaced would be those players looking too old or busted every week.....with players who are talented, enthusiastic and will at least add anticipation and hope...almost like a Star wars saga when all looks lost - saved by the young Jedi....

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8
9 4 5 -19 8