Is Luke brooks the piece we’ve been missing

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Luke Brooks podcast with Aaron Woods. They attended the same highschool & played 69 games together for the Tigers

Full episode (59 minutes) at link below - I think there's more talk about the Sea Eagles
When Brooks won Dally M halfback of the year in 2018 he played alongside Benji. Brooks said he was really playing five eighth with Benji doing all the game managment.

Last edited:
My wife follows aloiai on social media and apparently already training. He owes us big time. Has been injured ever since he arrived.
Kind of feels to me that Josh is drinking at the last chance saloon next season. Given that mgt have appeared more ruthless on moving talent on this year, would think he would be someone we would like to move if he doesn’t aim up (granted the guy has clearly been playing busted on or off)

The thing I’m excited to see with Brooks coming into the side is the enhancement to our kicking game. Having another top shelf option on the last play will mean teams can’t just number up on DCE allowing both halves more time to come up with great ends to our sets.

Would certainly be a bonus if Brooks can have the very positive overall game effect of Foz .
Good chance in attack and kicking game , defensively , good enough to come close but will offer much more overall speed so could help him in the defence department and definitely for cover defence .
Surely is going to be an improvement on what was on offer for a good part of this season in the 6 department .
Still maintain that Dylan Walker was a qu8ite capable 6 and the side generally did well when he played there . Good chance with Brooks without being too optimistic .
Different style but fundamentally still a very capable and good individual footy player

I hope he brings his running game. His performance for the Tigers against the Cowboys in the first round was awesome.

I hope he brings his running game. His performance for the Tigers against the Cowboys in the first round was awesome.
He was great that day, but everything the Tigers tried for those 80 minutes turned to gold. On a note of caution, how many games did Brooks play for the Tigers after that?*

*I just checked: he played 5 more games over the following 15 rounds. There were two bye rounds in there, but he probably wouldn't have played those either.

Last edited:
it will be interesting to see who plays lead. DCE has often stated he prefers to play 2 wide and as such a less leading role. when tom is fit Tom plays more lead so id imagine DCE will want to shuffle out of the main line somewhat.

this will work best for manly if both halves play in the line and create fear, if one tries to play a more subtle role it just shifts the target elsewhere, most likely to brooks

DCE definately got more involved in the line last season except for his kicking game. having 2 capable players either side should ensure both players have the latitude to kick in the line which is a major plaus for the whole team. Our kicking game is the area we can improve mostly quite easily

with Tom down, schuster out of form in 23 DCE stood up , he needs to carry this attitude next season and lead from the front. if he slips back into the support role after brooks and Tommy then we gain little by his signing IMO

With schu destined for the back row surely jake as link man disappers altogether. less reliance on tommy has got to help the whole team and with 2 gun halfbacks it should automaticly happen. tom needs to be receiving passes and splitting the line , not required to get the ball and make something happen.

DCE did a lot of good work from dummy half last season. if tommy is still playing like a halfback, by mid season in 24 make him 6, brooks 7, and DCE 9
Koula 1 and garrick in the centres

If its happening anyway make it official. if we get the Same DCE as the second half of last season then it should be a good season

The night Manly got serious about prising Luke Brooks away from Tigers​

Christian Nicolussi

By Christian Nicolussi

November 11, 2023 — 1.45pm

Luke Brooks listened to Wests Tigers fans chant his name as he played one of the games of his life at Leichhardt Oval earlier this year.
That cool autumn night, the Tigers belted North Queensland 66-18 – and Brooks, playing his 200th game, could not put a foot wrong.

Brooks hoping for reduced pressure at Sea Eagles

Play video
0:15

Brooks hoping for reduced pressure at Sea Eagles​

After a decade in the spotlight at Tigers, Luke Brooks is excited to fly under the radar at the Sea Eagles. The half is joining a team jam-packed with stars who he believes will take the pressure off him.

That night convinced Manly they should go after the playmaker – and a secret plan to prise Brooks away from his junior club was put into motion.
Brooks stepped out in Manly’s maroon and white for the first time on Friday. After 11 seasons at the Tigers, and often being the one used as a punching bag by fans following every loss – there were a lot of them – Brooks himself will take some time getting used to his new surrounds and uniform.
Advertisement

Sea Eagles coach Anthony Seibold was somewhere over the Pacific en route to America when Brooks took part in his first training session.
But he told this masthead how he recalled watching Brooks dominate the Cowboys in round 12 and why it became clear not long after full-time that the 28-year-old would be a terrific fit over on the Northern Beaches.
Luke Brooks was explosive in attack as the Tigers belted North Queensland 66-18 early in the 2023 season.

Luke Brooks was explosive in attack as the Tigers belted North Queensland 66-18 early in the 2023 season.CREDIT: NRL PHOTOS
“His game against the Cowboys, he was outstanding that night – it was probably the best game he’s ever played,” Seibold said.
“I also remember his kicking game in the wet when the Tigers beat Penrith when it bucketed down rain, his tactical kicking game was really good.

Brooks kicked early in the tackle count against the Cowboys and ran and ran and ran. Tigers coach Tim Sheens famously took aim at Brooks’ knockers after the game when he said: “People on Twitter give him grief, and as far as I’m concerned, they can take their Twitter and shove it.”
Sheens wanted Brooks to stay. Seibold wanted him more.

Luke Brooks trains for the first time with the Manly Sea Eagles on Friday.

Luke Brooks trains for the first time with the Manly Sea Eagles on Friday.CREDIT: EDWINA PICKLES/SMH
Seibold resisted using Sea Eagles superstars Daly Cherry-Evans or Tom Trbojevic to sell Brooks his new club, and instead kept it to two simple meetings at his house.
Advertisement

The Tigers had put forward an offer that fell well short of Brooks’ expectations. They further infuriated his camp by demanding a quick answer.
It may explain why Brooks was so non-committal beneath Leichhardt Oval after his destructive performance against the Cowboys.
“The first time I wanted to speak to him and talk to him about his footy, why we could be good for him, and why he would be good for us,” Seibold said.
“The second time he came with footy questions. He’s a smart young guy. It was a hard decision for him, but we feel like we can help him. We’re looking forward to having him.”
Pressed on why Brooks, at 28, would be such a good fit at Manly, Seibold said: “He comes with 200 games of experience, and during that time he’s had some really good times and some challenging times.
Advertisement

Luke Brooks carving up in round 12 against North Queensland.

Luke Brooks carving up in round 12 against North Queensland.CREDIT: GETTY
“If you think back to 2018, he was the Dally M halfback of the year. There have also been some challenging times because of the form of the club he was at.
“One of our weapons is Cherry’s [Cherry-Evans] kicking game, and Brooksy can take some pressure off being a left-footed kicker. He’s a really good runner of the footy, so he adds another attacking element to our game.
“He’s only 28 and someone who brings a world of experience.
“We want to put our arms around him and make him feel like he belongs at our club.

“He’s played his best footy when he’s enjoyed his footy and had a smile on his face. I think back to when he played under Ivan [Cleary], that was probably when he had his best year and looked his happiest.
“He just has to come here, enjoy himself and only worry about himself.”
When front-rower and former Tigers favourite Aaron Woods was told Brooks might be heading to Manly, he urged the club to make it happen immediately.
Eyes on the prize: Luke Brooks has his first run with his new teammates.

Eyes on the prize: Luke Brooks has his first run with his new teammates.CREDIT: EDWINA PICKLES
“Brooksy needed a freshen-up and this will be the best thing that happens to that kid,” Woods said.
Advertisement

“So much was on the line every week for Brooksy when he was at the Tigers. When he was there, he was thinking he needed to do 10,000 things, which takes away from the best part of his game.
“There won’t be any pressure on him at Manly and he only needs to be ‘Luke Brooks’ – he doesn’t have to be the big dog, he can just enjoy his footy. There won’t be any weight on his shoulders.
“When he thinks run first, that’s when he’s scary. When they told me they were looking at Brooksy, I said, ‘Try and get him now’.”
The rugby league romantics would have love seeing Brooks finish his career at the Tigers. There is a little bit of cap relief for long-serving players, but so much more could be done in that space to make it easier to reward loyalty.
Manly has Cherry-Evans, who inked a mega $10 million eight-year deal, and while the club have not won a premiership since his rookie year, the skipper has more than upheld his end of the bargain.

It will be fascinating to see how Cherry-Evans and Brooks connect.

RELATED ARTICLE​

Benji Marshall is going to do it his way as Wests Tigers coach.

NRL 2024

‘Not your typical head coach’: How Benji Marshall intends to turn the Tigers around

Let’s face it, Brooks has always been a five-eighth kitted out in a No. 7 jersey. In fact, 253-game Tigers’ legend Chris Lawrence went as far as to declare Brooks right in contention to be crowned 2024 Dally M five-eighth of the year.
The silverware would sit nicely with the 2014 Dally M rookie of the year medal and the 2018 Dally M halfback of the year, even though Benji Marshall called the shots that season wearing the No. 6.
“I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if he wins the Dally M five-eighth of the year,” Lawrence said.
Advertisement

“The best footy he played was when he was with Mitch [Moses]. Mitch was the No. 6 and Brooksy was the No. 7, but Mitch played more like the halfback.
“It was the same when Brooksy played alongside Benji Marshall in 2018 and won the halfback of the year, even though Benji did most of the directing on the field.
“Brooksy is a great No. 6, and now he gets to play with a traditional No. 7 in Daly, who will bring out the best in him.”
News, results and expert analysis from the weekend of sport sent every Monday. Sign up for our Sport newsletter.

Save
License this article
Christian Nicolussi

Christian Nicolussi covers rugby league for The Sydney Morning Herald.Connect via Twitter or email.

Last edited:
DCE definately got more involved in the line last season except for his kicking game. having 2 capable players either side should ensure both players have the latitude to kick in the line which is a major plaus for the whole team. Our kicking game is the area we can improve mostly quite easily
Can you explain what you mean by kicking in the line? Better still, post a clip of someone doing it? (because it makes me think of synchronised swimming or something, and I'm pretty sure that's not what you're on about!)

Can you explain what you mean by kicking in the line? Better still, post a clip of someone doing it? (because it makes me think of synchronised swimming or something, and I'm pretty sure that's not what you're on about!)
receiving the ball, at first receiver and moving toward the defence. taking advantage of a play the ball and getting as close to the defnders as possible befiore kicking, maybe even stepping the fast approaching marker, progressing and kicking after chewing up 10m, just from time to time anyway often using momentum gained in the set of 6. its like kicking with the wind

allowing the option of running it as you have supports that are behind you and a genuine threat and decoy material
allowing the kick chase to be onside when the ball is kicked allowing them to pressure the opposition, challenge for the ball, and tackle players as soon as they contact

Currently we systematicly throw the ball back 10m , often to the blindside , possibly only leaving tom onside to challenge the ball. Everyone else out of contention unless they all drop back 10 which would be very unsettling

remember all the talk on here over the years about why is tom the only chaser of kicks
what about , why doesnt anyone chase those kicks talk

Now all teams do this, and sometimes its a necessity due to the arm wrestle, but we do it stock standard and its about protecting the kicker firstly and result secondry. The good kickers, like cleary, reynolds, even moses put there bodies on the line for this tactic

the few exceptions to the rule are

Kicking close to the line
kicking for 40/20 surprise, especially with a big wind
kicking for surprise

I see you as a pretty decent footy head but the fact i have to explain this means your team has played without it for so long youve forgotten what it is.

when the forwards have a good set of 6
and the kicker uses this method if possible of course
the arm wrestle gets easier
the back 5 get better field position
Its all part of the same game, the same engine. One part helps the other and this part is broken

I see you as a pretty decent footy head but the fact i have to explain this means your team has played without it for so long youve forgotten what it is.
Hmm thanks although you're probably giving me too much credit.

But... I can't think of a halfback that does that, unless their team is going forward and they get a fast play the ball on the last. Which does tend to happen with the teams of those halfbacks you mentioned.

But isn't Manly's problem more the fact we are often struggling to run the ball back to a good position, so we have to kick from our own 40 (or worse)? I sort of assumed we lose the territory despite having a top kicker, not the other way around.

Anyway I'll try to remember to watch for this in future. Sort of makes sense, although I can't imagine it's done too many times by any halfback. I may be wrong.

Hmm thanks although you're probably giving me too much credit.

But... I can't think of a halfback that does that, unless their team is going forward and they get a fast play the ball on the last. Which does tend to happen with the teams of those halfbacks you mentioned.

But isn't Manly's problem more the fact we are often struggling to run the ball back to a good position, so we have to kick from our own 40 (or worse)? I sort of assumed we lose the territory despite having a top kicker, not the other way around.

Anyway I'll try to remember to watch for this in future. Sort of makes sense, although I can't imagine it's done too many times by any halfback. I may be wrong.
Johns and Thurston were very good at it. Foz still does it. A lot of the time it's about bravery and being willing to cop a hit and end up on your arse in order to make a defender commit thereby creating space for your teammates. It also carries risk of the play dying with with you if take it too deep into the line.

You are correct that it doesn't help if you are on the back foot. It's most effective when you have the defence on the back foot.

Chez has it in him but more often than not he goes into headless chook mode when he gets too close to the ad line.

It was 🤢Cam Smiths biggest strength that he used deception and guile to commit defenders with out risking getting whacked or dying with the ball.

Schu does it albeit not very well last year. It isn't Brooks strong suit. In our current best 17 Tommy is the only one that is very good at it.

Last edited:
Brooks was destined to play at Brookie....Brookie Brooks.....as an aside, did anybody else back Brookies Player at the last race at Wyndham trots......having had a couple of beers I decided to put $500 on it......they wouldn't accept my bet but I got on for $250.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 4 4 -60 8