Is Jaxson Paulo a starter

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Just an opinion, but not a player I was too excited about joining Manly and seen only as a backup winger....maybe centre as a 4th or 5th option.
But after speaking to a reliable good contact, who knows far more than I on what is planned for 2024 at Manly, Paulo is definitely being considered as a starting winger for 2024 and is rated highly as more than just a backup.
This tells me it could well be Koula and Garrick in the centres, with Saab a likely starter and the other spot up for grabs.
Now pretty keen to see how he plays...I certainly think Tuipulotu will struggle to hold a spot.

Hes 6 ft 4 and quite athletic, at 24 years old he should be starting to find his feet as a consistent first grader and has been in some pretty good systems up until this point. I think with the right mindset and good players inside him he could become a handy winger. My only issue would be with him and saab we dont really have that nuggety metre eater to take tough carries.

Paulo's issue is confidence and consistency. When focused and feeling good, he's just as good as any winger in the NRL. Unfortunately, he has far too many shockers when it comes to ball handling. However, he's now played a fair bit of 1st grade for some pretty decent teams, and also played finals so he technically has more quality experience than Tuipulotu and even Saab.

At the same time, if Tuipulotu can also improve his howlers and game awareness, I actually think his physicality coming out of red zone is so badly needed with this current Manly line up.

Obviously over the course of a season, they will both represent us on the wing. In a fully-fit backline, these two guys fight it out for that last wing spot

He's Rocks and Diamonds,I don't view him as the best option,however,he was given a 3 year contract and you don't usually sign a guy for 3 years to be a backup.
Whether he holds onto the starting job.......

Gives us by far the tallest back 3 in the comp with Tom at 1.94m Saab at 1.99 and Paulo at 1.92. Gives Chez, Brooks and Schu and Froggy plenty of targets for cross field kicks. Plenty of speed there too.

A bit lacking in tough carries out of the backfield so the forwards and centres will have to work hard to get back on 2nd/3rd tackle.

Saab and Garrick will start the year off with Koula and Parker in the centres.

Whether or not Garrick moves to the centres during 2024 will be interesting.
Much will depend on when Parker gets knocked out.

If he does all the right things during preseason he should be a starter on the wing for mine.

Garrick done enough in limited opportunities to earn a full preseason at centre.

If it's Seibs idea, than expecting Parks will be given plenty of time to develop in his new role in the forwards, unless that completely unravels in the off season.

I reckon Vaega might be the real smokey for the wing after
another preseason.

If there is one thing every team will be trying to do in 24. It's close the gap with the riff on kick returns with their small fast nuggets.

Saab would want to start fighting and learn to use his weight better.

If he does all the right things during preseason he should be a starter on the wing for mine.

Garrick done enough in limited opportunities to earn a full preseason at centre.

If it's Seibs idea, than expecting Parks will be given plenty of time to develop in his new role in the forwards, unless that completely unravels in the off season.

I reckon Vaega might be the real smokey for the wing after
another preseason.

If there is one thing every team will be trying to do in 24. It's close the gap with the riff on kick returns with their small fast nuggets.

Saab would want to start fighting and learn to use his weight better.
Now you mention it the height might be a liability, To'o is 1.82m Edwards is 1.78m and Taruva is 1.81m. Maybe we need Ray ray to do some of the get down low and go go go work.

At the risk of stating the boringly obvious.

It all comes down to pre season at trials.

Turbo, Garrick, Koula and Saab will be there. Then there is soace for one more, be it at centre or on the wing.

Parker, Paulo, Talau, Tuipulotu all battling it out for the final spot.

Could be anyof them to be honest but hopegully the competition brings out the best in one

I remember we all ( or at least most of us) thought Garrick was an average player and not a certain starter, fast forward a couple of seasons and his an automatic selection and not just for his goal kicking.

We could ( hopefully we are) thinking the same way about Jaxon in a year or two.
He could be a real find for us. Here's hoping

I remember we all ( or at least most of us) thought Garrick was an average player and not a certain starter, fast forward a couple of seasons and his an automatic selection and not just for his goal kicking.

We could ( hopefully we are) thinking the same way about Jaxon in a year or two.
He could be a real find for us. Here's hoping
He definitely has the physical attributes to make a big difference in a game.
Let’s hope he comes here with a clear mind and a safe set of hands.

2023 NSW cup

10 games (2 Wins)
5 Tries
26 Goals for 68.4% success rate
3 try assist
21 tackle breaks
3 line breaks
86 tackles 69.4% success rate
109 average run meters
Rooster did struggle in nsw cup (wooden spoon)

Nrl 2023
12 games
6 tries
1 try assists
38 tackles 76% success
15 average runs
145 average meters

2022 at Souths (played more centre)
18 Games
6 Tries
2 try assists
157 tackles 81% success
13 runs
120 meters
(came off the bench in at least 2 games and had next to no game time)

Last edited:
Gives us by far the tallest back 3 in the comp with Tom at 1.94m Saab at 1.99 and Paulo at 1.92. Gives Chez, Brooks and Schu and Froggy plenty of targets for cross field kicks. Plenty of speed there too.

A bit lacking in tough carries out of the backfield so the forwards and centres will have to work hard to get back on 2nd/3rd tackle.
Paulo is the beast carrying the ball in yardage. It's one of his strengths. Last year I found myself mistaking him for Joseph Suaalii on occasions, such was the speed and power he showed in yardage.

The issue is definitely his errors. It probably won't show in statistics, but if he makes a mistake, it's often a costly one. Think Keppie but on the wing.

If he can cut the errors out of his game, he has the speed and size to be a real weapon! If he can hit his ceiling, he is definitely going to offer more than Tui and Ray.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8