Is it time to review the Blacktown experiment?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

sheridanstand78

First Grader
The last three performances by the Blacktown side have really made me question, do we need to continue our relationship with them? There is an acute lack of effort and fortitude and this team has leaked so many points over these three games.

The whole idea of an arrangement with them was to provide a pathway for our young and up coming players to achieve first grade.

I am not seeing a lot of benefit to Manly and these performances suggest that the way they are being coached is very different to what we are seeing at Manly. I think that all our grades need to have the same coaching methods so that when a player is promoted to a higher grade he is able to fit in a lot better.

I do understand that financially this is about managing the costs of running our club. I do also understand that Brookvale oval struggles when there is too much footy played on it. I also understand that the club is trying to recruit juniors from the league obsessed area of Western Sydney.

My biggest concern is this. In 2017 we had an amazing performance from our Holden cup side that won a premiership out of the blue. We are seeing the results from that team especially when you look at the impact of Fainu in first grade. The club must make sure that we retain the bulk of that young side and develop them and sending them out to Blacktown which is a different culture to us is not benefiting the club.

An example of this is Tom Wright. it has been argued on this forum and the pros and cons of him as a player and his effectiveness. He was a star of that Holden cup side and he spend the bulk of last year at Blacktown and 2 or 3 games in first grade and then he is allowed to leave. That really disappoints me in that it could be argued was he really given a chance to prove himself? In my opinion one of Barrett's many failures was his reluctance to blood young players when it was obvious we were going no where last season.

Parramatta and Souths have both reviewed their arrangements and have brought their reserve grade sides back under their own banner and they are reaping the benefits of that. Is it time for Manly to do the same thing?

I am interested in peoples thoughts on this questions?

As you say there are pros and cons and I think the pros have it . Time changes things and I think we should give this more time and see the outcome

We have so many injuries at present, so the Blacktown side is being hammered as well. The Workers association gives us a base inside one of the biggest rugby league heartlands in the world. Why would we walk away from that? Results in NSW Cup don’t necessarily determine the success of the association either.

Last edited:
The challenge for Blacktown is to keep filling our injury and suspension ravaged NRL side.

They don't have a chance to put the same team on the field each week and can't compete with the others in their competition :cool:

The BWSE train at Narra too :nod:
I like to think of Blacktown as a link to NRL for talented juniors and not so much about winning comps, more of a way of testing our young stars in a weekly grind against men before stepping into the NRL.

Your biggest concern is that we retain them and develop them?Looks like a pretty good job so far...Paseka,Fainu,Olakau'atu,Cust,Metcalfe,Funa,Anderson,Kioa,Titmuss,Fenn are still with us(6 of those 10 are from out west).Schuster is from out west too,yeah,lets cut the ties now while we are seeing no benefits.Miski on the weekend is a Blacktown signing....Eels don't run their side,it is still Wentworthville.

Let’s not hammer them too much. Our first grade team is full of reserves playing up a grade. When our injured players are back, blacktown will be much stronger.

If bwse can keep supplying first grade-ready players as reserves then they are doing their job.

The challenge for Blacktown is to keep filling our injury and suspension ravaged NRL side.

They don't have a chance to put the same team on the field each week and can't compete with the others in their competition :cool:

The BWSE train at Narra too :nod:
Very valid point here !

Remember guys, NSW Cup isn't about result. It's about development. We have literally husked their team requiring players, plus they are injury ravaged.

Yet the roosters are allowed the entire Central coast which is situated halfway between Manly and Newcastle.
We had our links with the central coast before the Roosters,unfortunately we had quantity but no quality.Guys were not making the leap to top grade,the exception was Knight and he was a bit of an issue and was cut.The Roosters cut their ties to Wyong and the Central coast at the start of the year,the Central Coast Roosters I don't think are actually affiliated with the roosters,the Roosters have their own junior sides now(I think)

Agree but some people list TOTAL wins / losses across all grades and have massive winges about it.
Not anymore. The way posters play the man here these days, have stopped the likes of Darren, Byso, Technical Coach, myself and many others trying to add value like that anymore.

Completely keep all rumours in house and secretive. Don't do stats for everyone. No info about juniors .

It's too bad, but expected I guess.

Last edited:

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
9 6 3 57 14
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10