[Resurrected] Is Golden Point so golden??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Field Goalathons have ruined extra time but I can't see them changing it. Id just change the scoring during the regular season to award a point to the losing team for holding the other team to a draw till FT.

Id go with:
Regular Season Golden Point.
- Leave as is. Winner 2 points. Loser 1 Point.

The finals are different and should be treated as such.
Finals Golden Point.
- Golden Try.
- Extra time played until a try is scored. Limited Interchange.
anyone who was at the glorious 2008 display of Rugby League excellence
would have witnessed in a earlier game where between the teams they missed 19 field goals in extra time, it was excruciatingly embarrassing!

Field Goalathons have ruined extra time but I can't see them changing it. Id just change the scoring during the regular season to award a point to the losing team for holding the other team to a draw till FT.

Id go with:
Regular Season Golden Point.
- Leave as is. Winner 2 points. Loser 1 Point.

The finals are different and should be treated as such.
Finals Golden Point.
- Golden Try.
- Extra time played until a try is scored. Limited Interchange.
How can a drawn game - with a total of 3 points - be worth more than a regular game - 2 points?

police the 10 minutes the same way they policed the previous 80.

Lately the refs seem to have done a 180 on the way GP is policed. At one stage they seemed to put the whistle away and not call anything (remember how far Reynolds was offside when the Dogs beat us in the 2014 Semis?). Yet now, the teams seemingly favoured by the league (e.g. doesn't-matta) are getting penalties that bring them into field goal range.

How can a drawn game - with a total of 3 points - be worth more than a regular game - 2 points?

That's the way the nhl does it and it works fine for them.

It works fine because the game doesn't think of the points awarded as a whole.

It's not "The game is worth 'x' amount of points; it's "The winners always get two and the losers get 1 or 0 depending on circumstances."

Winner gets two points - always.

Lose in regulation - you get 0

Good enough to keep it level at full time but lose in overtime - you get one point.

For those that don't think like that, if they can only think 'but some games have three points total, others have two' line of thinking then the above idea will never cut it for them.

For those that can see the winners always getting two points and the losers only getting one if they force an overtime...then the above is fine.

I'm used to the nhl way so it sits fine with me, others aren't.

Overtime in the nhl works a bit different as well.

During the game it is 5 on 5 (plus goalies)
Overtime it is 4 on 4 (plus goalies) to open the game and try to get a goal.
No goals in overtime? There's a shootout.

Just my opinion. I think the losing team should get 1 competition point for going 80 mins and finishing in a draw. After that whoever wins the match in extra time gets 2. Loser 1.

Finishing with 0 after a late field goal in extra time is wrong in my opinion. It's no different than a team getting flogged 40-0. Losing team deserves something if they've taken the game to extra time.
As it is mine. I would be all for a win at 3 points, GP game points then get shared at 2 & 1.
It just seems fairer to me that a team that wins their game outright get more points than a team that draws their game after 80.

Yet I think it's dangerous to rank different wins with different points.

People could make the case that the Titans getting 3 points for a win over the terrible tigers can in no way be worth more than Manly's heroic overtime win against Canberra.

Subjectivity comes into play and it works both ways (as one could argue a complete dominating display should be worth 3 points over say the eels and bulldogs draw which was a terrible game and no points should be awarded..lol)

So if subjectivity is brought into play I would rather a fixed point win...then screw around with the losers points (1 or 0.)

Rugby has a bonus point system where (I think) if you score 5 tries and/or win but a certain margin you get an extra point.

so.....???????? about the best system.

I'm enjoying reading the different points (no pun intended) though. :)

I kind of like the way they do overtime in the NFL: if one team scores a field goal, the other team gets one more possession to attempt to tie it up again, but if they score a touchdown (in our case, a try), it's game over.
That said, there's nothing wrong with a draw in the regular season.

draws in regular season
the impact of playing extra minutes can negatively affect both teams the week after, with the comp being so close.
golden try end of season

Bump!

A normal game of hockey goes for 3 x 30 minute time periods.

It's the hockey playoffs and during the season overtime goes for 5 mins and they bounce two players off the ice to create more space and scoring chances.

BUT

In playoff hockey they OT is in fact a full 20 minutes with full teams until one team scores.

Currently in the Columbus v Tampa Bay game:.....

It was 2-2 at end of regulation

And they've had THREE periods of extra time without a score. (3 x 20 mins)

They've played a full extra game and still need to keep going.

lol

Should only be used in elimination finals. IMO decision to introduce golden point in competitions games was gambling driven.

Bump!

It's the hockey playoffs and during the season overtime goes for 5 mins and they bounce two players off the ice to create more space and scoring chances.

BUT

In playoff hockey they OT is in fact a full 20 minutes with full teams until one team scores.

lol
Flip a coin. You could then call it The luck of the puck.

Bump!

BUT

lol
Just make the goals bigger!

Should only be used in elimination finals. IMO decision to introduce golden point in competitions games was gambling driven.
I was thinking about this the other day. This year would have been perfect to trial going back the the old rule of whatever the result was at full time that’s it. No overtime needed. They should also completely do away with the bunker and implement a captains challenge process. 2 a game, you win you keep it. Bunker is only used for challenge replays and foul play reviews. Tgat bunker process must be such a waste of $$

GAME OVER!!!

Winning goal came 10 mins into the FIFTH overtime.

The game started over 6 hours ago. A few records broken.

Tampa bay def Columbus blue jackets in game 1 of a best of seven (lol) series.

So about 150 mins of game time.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7