[Resurrected] Is Golden Point so golden??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

TimmyQ

Bencher
So after watching last night's epic yawnfest between my 2 least favoured teams lol got me thinking.. I really hate the fact that games are determined in extra time by the first team that scores. One dubious call gets the attacking team the field position to slot over the field goal and whooshka..game over thanks for playing ure guts out losing team but that's it. I'd really prefer to see the extra 10 mins played out in full - no excuses for either team then and if it's still locked up after that then split the points and move on. It's quite anti climactic when a tight game goes to Golden Point and then a minute later its over. Thoughts folks???

I like a result but i think a golden try scenario would be better with a FG only winning it after extra 10mins has played out. Im not a fan of a draw at all.

It's a bit average in regular season games for mine. Especially while ruck and stripping penalties are not black and white. Some refs will call, some won't, there just isn't consistency and with enough training, you start to find ways to play for the penalty before playing to win the game. I'd be more than happy to have old fashioned draws during the season and then 10 mins of extra time in finals (no golden point). If not decided then, another 10 min period etc.

If persisting with golden point, then i wouldn't complain if a straight win in all games was worth 3 points, and a golden point game 2 points to the winner, 1 to the loser. (You play until there is a winner). Won't happen though.

Two of the best games I've seen were draws.
Manly v parramatta.
1980/81.

Even the grand final.
If. Level at full time both teams enter into a 'Roe Chambo' contest, last man standings team is the winner !!

So after watching last night's epic yawnfest between my 2 least favoured teams lol got me thinking.. I really hate the fact that games are determined in extra time by the first team that scores. One dubious call gets the attacking team the field position to slot over the field goal and whooshka..game over thanks for playing ure guts out losing team but that's it. I'd really prefer to see the extra 10 mins played out in full - no excuses for either team then and if it's still locked up after that then split the points and move on. It's quite anti climactic when a tight game goes to Golden Point and then a minute later its over. Thoughts folks???

I'm no fan of either side and the game was indeed a yawnfest, but I did have a few bucks on the Bulldogs because I thought Parramatta forward pack was weakened with injury.
Sure enough, some fifty-fifty ball decision is reversed by the pocket ref in so-called Golden Point which sees the Dogs lose without even having the ball in their hands.
Here's what I reckon for what it's worth ... feel free to disagree.
a) Two referees is a manifest failure. "Too many cooks spoil the broth" as my old grandma used to say. Get rid of it.
b) Golden Point is nothing but a field kicking lottery. Love the ten minute idea - much fairer.
c) I never knew Mitchell Moses could actually tackle.
d) I've never seen so much ugly holding down in the tackle as Parramatta managed to get away with last night. At least Melbourne do it with some finesse.
e) The ten metre rule is effectively dead with players running up well before the ball is played.
f) Only a mug would ever bet on rugby league.
g) The mighty Eagles play a might attractive brand of attacking rugby league we supporters can be proud of.

Regular season draws after full time for me.
Finals play golden try. If no try then count any field goals or penalties scored on extra time.
If no points then extra extra time.

I'm no fan of either side and the game was indeed a yawnfest, but I did have a few bucks on the Bulldogs because I thought Parramatta forward pack was weakened with injury.
Sure enough, some fifty-fifty ball decision is reversed by the pocket ref in so-called Golden Point which sees the Dogs lose without even having the ball in their hands.
Here's what I reckon for what it's worth ...
a) Two referees is a manifest failure. "Too many cooks spoil the broth" as my old grandma used to say. Get rid of it for 2018.
b) Golden Point is nothing but a field goal kicking lottery. Love the ten minute idea - it's much fairer.
d) I've never seen so much ugly holding down in the tackle as Parramatta managed to get away with last night. At least Melbourne do it with some finesse.
e) The ten metre rule is effectively dead with players running up well before the ball is played.
g) The mighty Eagles play a might attractive brand of attacking rugby league we supporters can be rightly proud of.

I would be happy to change to golden try. Otherwise play out the 10 minutes and if a field goal is enough to win then so be it. At least this may give the refs some courage to police the 10 minutes the same way they policed the previous 80.

I think there are some great ideas posted here. Personally, I am a fan of the draw for regular season games and using special rules to decide a winner in finals. In finals I would be open to playing out the full 10 mins or golden try to decide the winner. If they are to persist with the golden point rule i think that the 3 points for a regular game and 2points/1 point for a golden point game is fair for all concerned. Am also in full support of getting rid of the 2nd ref.

I like the idea of going the ful 10 minutes. A drop ball in a tackle is such a lottery. Or maybe instead of blowing full time if scores are locked, just keep going til a point is scored which would favor the team that has momentun.

Nothing wrong with a draw.
But as for that fiasco last night, a captain's challenge probably would have reversed the penalty, and hence the result of the game.
As it stands, that was just about Dogs season kaput right there with one very dud call.

Here's what I reckon for what it's worth ... feel free to disagree.
a) Two referees is a manifest failure. "Too many cooks spoil the broth" as my old grandma used to say. Get rid of it.
Two referees is a efficient way of introducing greyness and inconsistency whilst spreading the blame, it's here to stay, in fact don't discount even more officials to cloud things even more.
b) Golden Point is nothing but a field kicking lottery. Love the ten minute idea - much fairer.
Yep, lotteries have better odds, also here to stay whilst betting on scripted outcomes stays under the radar. Draw is a draw, funny how FootyTAB Pick the margins still considers these games a draw (funny, much bigger dividends, who said you can't have it both ways).
is this a lead in to a Nazareth joke?
If your favoured, you don't even have to be good at most things.
Close, The ten metre rule is selectively dead.......is more correct.
yes, if not an insider, those who like lotteries might like to Footy TAB Pick the Margins throwing in a couple of draws each week.
g) The mighty Eagles play a might attractive brand of attacking rugby league we supporters can be proud of.
Start of an era, I've heard.

Golden point NOT Golden!
except for some.....

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8