Is Des too Loyal for his own good?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

XV-1

First Grader
I have noticed quite a few of the players that most of us want gone have just recentky been signed for another 2 years.

Taufua, Parker, Suli are 3 examples

Is Des too loyal to his players at the expense of Manly winning comps or does he see something we don't?

I think most would agree as much as love to see Taufua doing his impersonations of a smash brother, he has clearly become a liability on the wing, can't get the high ball, rushes in consistently giving the attacking team an overlap to score points. Needs replacing urgently.

Parker & Suli given time will be a great centre partnership, getting better in defense but it somewhat reminds you of an early Melb backline. They deserve a bit more time.

In 16 seasons he has taken his team to the finals 14 times, including 5 grand finals, 2 premierships and a World Club Championship. He has also been named Dally M Coach Of The Year and RLIF coach of the year twice. I’m happy to back his judgement.

As for the players ‘most of us want gone’, I must be in the minority as I’m happy to keep all 3.

Des is doing the best he can with the talent available.

We can all complain about player performances and suggest changes to the team however we are not all at every training session and I suggest very few on this site have coaching certicates or are former first grade NRL players. However, everyone has an option.

We cannot see what is happening in opposed sessions and there’s no NSW Cup, so Des and his team would be limited to what is happening in opposed sessions.

Des and his team select the team members that he thinks will perform and work best together as a team with those that are available.

I’ll back Des and his team, even though I may like to see others.

Really? How many has he had? Just curious.
I believe at least 3 this year

It is the way he is getting concussed that must be a concern Against the raiders he simply fell over backwards and knocked himself out and against the panthers he was simply attempting a tackle and appeared to just glance off the penrith players arm

Barry Taylor's son Stephen had 5 concussions before giving football away at age 15 yet he still had bad CTE

I believe at least 3 this year
He had a few last year too, I'm pretty sure. Hard to keep track (seems he's often going off for either a leg injury, HIA, or sin bin) but I have a distinct memory of him often getting up slowly after being whacked high.

I find Des loyalty to the players exceptionally good and has proven this in the past by bringing the players together to fight with that "us against them" mentallity....this is near his best strength.
The title I would look for would read "Is Des too stubborn for his own good"
As an example, if it was loyalty, Des would have kept the man of the match performer Cust who had a scorcher the previous week....his reward for this outstanding performance was to be dropped the following week....I don't get loyalty out of that ?
Putting Walker on the bench would have been loyalty to both players.

It may be too late but... why wouldn't Parker wear head gear then?

Unless backs don't wear head gear... I dunno.

Des - Loyalty is good. Blind loyalty not so much, seeing players most days probably best.

Des treats his players like a family, and that's what he is good at and why they give their best for him. But like all of us, he tends to overlook the limitations of those family members. He gets the best out of them, but he also seems a little blinded to their limitations.

Headgear does sweet FA to protect from concussion.

Sure?

images

Must admit I am more of a fan of Meritocracy when it comes to choosing a team in football over loyalty ...

PSS .. I will concede that Dessie is taking loyalty (or love) too far if he re-signs T-Rex for another 3 years ....

It may be too late but... why wouldn't Parker wear head gear then?

Unless backs don't wear head gear... I dunno.

Des - Loyalty is good. Blind loyalty not so much, seeing players most days probably best.

Headgear just prevents cauliflower ears in order to preserve the wearer's natural beauty to ensure a good post-football career in the media.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6