is Des losing it?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Got to agree with Kiwi here.  No team would have beaten the Panthers last night.  Ask anyone who was at the game.  See how we are at the end of the season to judge Des. If we're slipping from where we were last year, then send him off.  If not, keep him on.

just so the point of this post is clear and we are all on the same page
I didn't invent that Des "rules" Manly
I was told, in conversation, that "what Des wants, Des gets"
which smacks of a dictatorial attitude to me

Sounds good to me, none of this PC bull**** where everybody has to be part of a process

If Des says he wants player A and doesn't want player B, he should get that and shouldn't be told "No, the group has voted 4-3 against you" and he doesn't get to coach what he wants

Let's be completely honest here, when Des goes for a crap in the afternoon, he loses more league knowledge than most of the members of this forum will ever have

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Let's be completely honest here, when Des goes for a crap in the afternoon, he loses more league knowledge than most of the members of this forum will ever have
haha

WAMF link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=183769.msg269967#msg269967 date=1277553091]
haha
[/quote]

Funny yet fact

Maybe the coach getting what he wants is not a bad thing. Obviously he does not have complete control otherwise we would not have had the boardroom trouble we did last year, or are you saying that Des instigated that?
We are not travelling as badly as i think you are making out this year, sure we have had a few games where we have lost after leading by winnable margins, you get that with inexperienced halves, indiscipline and a bad run of penalties. Is it time to cut our wrists and let Des go, no way.
By the way, how reliable is your source?

Kiwi Eagle link said:
[quote author=BAZ link=topic=183769.msg269949#msg269949 date=1277548927]
KE
wake up bud
we are losing games we should win easily and no-one from Des down offers any intelligent explanation
we have faded out and vanished so many times in the second half this year = unforgivable in professional sport in any code
Des sticks repeatedly with poorly performing players = T Rex, up and down and I wince every time he gets the ball
Choc - REALLY why is his form so crap? Des answer please?
Bailey? average at best
and Des holds court.
I rest my case. harsh it may be  =  but our season is crap, we are unconvincing tactically, sure we have injuries but so do all sides
I am suggesting that Des may need a reality check - from his boss
actually who does Des report to? 

I am wide awake, have just opened league week and looked at a ladder that entering this weekend had us above most of the other sides in the comp, so I guess only the 4 teams that are above us aren't having a "crap" season

Why should we be winning games "easily" as you say, if we are such a crap side

Tony Williams, a) We don't have any better options, you do remember Brett Stewart and David Williams are gone for the season don't you ? If you think there is a better option, chuck it up here. b) he has been nowhere near as bad as the forum experts like to profess he has been. If you want an example of why he got picked this week, in the space of 5 mins against Souths he scored a try no other winger in our squad could and then saved one with a great play on Sutton at the other end

Bailey is obviously picked to fill a utility role, isn't performing that great, but has plugged a lot of holes this season (albeit with a leak still coming in the sides of that hole)

Up and down efforts, that is what you get with young players in your side. A few weeks back we fielded a backline of Farrar, Robertson, Whare, Williams, Hopoate, Foran and Hodkinson, probably the least experienced since the formative years of the club. Expecting some of these blokes to come in and dominate week in week out is fanciful

A reality check is needed in some quarters, but I don't think Des is the one that needs it tbh. Pre season it was looking like a year we would be 6-10, somehow Des got the side up to looking like a genuine contender, and now when injuries have hit we have a side running where it looked like it should have pre season
[/quote]

Well put KE, we've got our two best players sitting on the sideline and have got some inexperienced players filling in for them.
As for Des who cares if he wnats to be in control, he (and the owners) have taken us from a terrible team to premiership contenders every year. Just because we don't win a premiership every year doesn't mean Des is a bad coach. Injuries are going to have a huge influence over the teams fortunes and that's mostly out of Des's control. We also have a salary cap which means we can't keep every player we want to and we have to have players like Willo and Bailey who aren't world beaters but do a job for us but don't get huge contracts. Des is doing a great job for us at the moment given the inexperience in the halves and outside backs.

In Des we Trust.

I watched the Titans game and thought we were very flat in the forwards, Following week we improved immensley against a stronger pack.

Panthers were good last night and will be there in late September.

Players come and Players go, but saying that we should get rid of Glenn Stewart, Baz, is ridiculous.

From the things I see and hear about Hasler, he comes across as strong, intelligent and fiercely loyal to his players.

Over the past two years he has been without his number one strike player for pretty much the last two seasons, there have been a number of highly distracting and in one case immensely emotional off field distractions, infighting within the board with the CEO effectively sacked, and a run of injuries equal to or worse than most other clubs.

Yet we finshed the regular season 5th last year, and are still in with a good chance of a top four finish this year (although we do need to pull our fingers out).

He practically rebuilt this club from the remnants of the Northern Eagles debacle.

Hasler is also mentioned by many good judges as a future representative coach.

And some people are questioning his credentials.....

Its tough to question a bloke that's got us to 2 gf's and won one.

But it doesn't mean we shouldn't.

Des is trying to offload Bailey but surprise surprise no other club wants him.  Don't be surprised if Tony Williams goes back to parra next year either.  This will probably be Kite's last year as well.  Big changes in the offseason

Merdy33 link said:
From the things I see and hear about Hasler, he comes across as strong, intelligent and fiercely loyal to his players.

Over the past two years he has been without his number one strike player for pretty much the last two seasons, there have been a number of highly distracting and in one case immensely emotional off field distractions, infighting within the board with the CEO effectively sacked, and a run of injuries equal to or worse than most other clubs.

Yet we finshed the regular season 5th last year, and are still in with a good chance of a top four finish this year (although we do need to pull our fingers out).

He practically rebuilt this club from the remnants of the Northern Eagles debacle.

Thank you for pointing out the obvious but please have another read of some of the posts. No one is questioning his credentials.
We are all grateful for season 2008 in particular. 2007 was another beauty and we should have finished as minor premiers and the overall Premiers. 2009 was also pretty good.

That said, surely the above doesn't exonerate him for decisions like continuing to play Bailey when he isn't in the clubs top 17 (you don't need to be a Des Hasler to see that).
It also doesn't exonerate him for gambling with a rookie forward on the bench and then twice, not playing said rookie forward, effectively creating a 16 v's 17 player scenario. 3 games later, rookie forward consuming a vital bench spot, is given 10 minutes out of 80?

Anyhow my opinion is that the 'club' needs to find a balance so that they don't distance their fans even further from the organisation.
No forum because Des doesn't like the comments is distancing the club from paying members.
Intentionally removing  the opportunity for paying fans on the 'dugout experience' at brookie from visiting the sheds after the match, is distancing the club further from it's own fan base.

Des should make decisions in the best interest of the 'team'
The CEO should be making decisions in the best interest of the 'club'.
Find a balance, otherwise get rid of Lowe and have Hasler as coach and CEO.

Tokyo Eagle - my source is utterly reliable
a senior member of the support staff
Nate - I don't recall saying anywhere to get rid of Glen Stewart
my point here is that if one person ( Des ) has all the pull thats not healthy
just like Rudd had all the pull and got fired
WAMF put it well - spread the roles and responsibility and power or make Des coach and CEO, but I think thats what we have now anyway

WAMF link said:
[quote author=Merdy33 link=topic=183769.msg270007#msg270007 date=1277561839]

Thank you for pointing out the obvious but please have another read of some of the posts. No one is questioning his credentials.
We are all grateful for season 2008 in particular. 2007 was another beauty and we should have finished as minor premiers and the overall Premiers. 2009 was also pretty good.

That said, surely the above doesn't exonerate him for decisions like continuing to play Bailey when he isn't in the clubs top 17 (you don't need to be a Des Hasler to see that).
It also doesn't exonerate him for gambling with a rookie forward on the bench and then twice, not playing said rookie forward, effectively creating a 16 v's 17 player scenario. 3 games later, rookie forward consuming a vital bench spot, is given 10 minutes out of 80?

Anyhow my opinion is that the 'club' needs to find a balance so that they don't distance their fans even further from the organisation.
No forum because Des doesn't like the comments is distancing the club from paying members.
Intentionally removing  the opportunity for paying fans on the 'dugout experience' at brookie from visiting the sheds after the match, is distancing the club further from it's own fan base.

Des should make decisions in the best interest of the 'team'
The CEO should be making decisions in the best interest of the 'club'.
Find a balance, otherwise get rid of Lowe and have Hasler as coach and CEO.

[/quote]
I didnt know the dugout experience had been watered down. Was saving up to bid for my son to carry the footy out for nexty year. May have to retink that a bit if that has been taken out. Probably would have known that if id visited the site lately

Good idea. Let's form a committee to look after the team, see if we can't turn this thoroughbred team into a camel.

If Des wants to run the team his way and is willing to accept accountability for his decisions, what is the problem ?

WAMF link said:
In 2008 Des was hammered all year for his blindness in sticking Lyon at 5/8 and perservering with 'logs' like Mark Bryant. Turned out Dictator Des knew more than some thought!

And Baz - BAz are you the reason Des shut the forum? lol

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8